Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shinn's Press Conference (Floyd Fired)

Originally posted by hoopdreams

Wait.......refresh my memory. What occurred last year to suggest that nobody wanted this job?? I thought it was more a matter of our owner finding someone he wanted (i.e, who was available cheap). Maybe you mean, nobody wanted it badly enough to accept the money being offered??
    Well supposedly JVG (and one other one, I cannot recall who right now) did not even want to interview for the position and withdrew his name. None of the big names even became candidates.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Well supposedly JVG (and one other one, I cannot recall who right now) did not even want to interview for the position and withdrew his name. None of the big names even became candidates.
    Right. But my assumption then (and now) was, they weren't interested due to the talk (which surely gets out there) as to what Shinn was willing to pay.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    IMO that is the way it should be! However, I am a little perplexed by the notion that Shinn already has someone at the very top of the pecking order...
    I'm going to say something that scares me. I was talking with a friend earlier who cringed when I brought this name up. We both agreed that hiring Bristow would be train wreck part 3 (Silas, Flloyd, next...). In a way, Bristow is a "proven" coach. Lets hope it's not Bristow...

Like the Floyd firing, maybe it's a known fact that Bristown won't be the new GM. Maybe Bristow threw his name in the hat early since he will be looking for work. If this is the case, I may find myself siding with BD afterall. No kidding...

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Bristow? I can't believe Shinn would fire Floyd only to hire Bristow. It makes no sense.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

I'm going to say something that scares me. I was talking with a friend earlier who cringed when I brought this name up. We both agreed that hiring Bristow would be train wreck part 3 (Silas, Flloyd, next...). In a way, Bristow is a "proven" coach. Lets hope it's not Bristow...

Like the Floyd firing, maybe it's a known fact that Bristown won't be the new GM. Maybe Bristow threw his name in the hat early since he will be looking for work. If this is the case, I may find myself siding with BD afterall. No kidding...
    OMG, that would suck big time!

Originally posted by akshun
    It looks like the circus has already started. Now we are supposed to believe that Baron was somehow not ready to play? The first player to finish in the top six in scoring, assists, and steals, in the history of the NBA, and he is not ready to play.

I would really like to know what this "foolishness" is that you refer to HH, but I know you won't be able to reveal it, you know, in the name of protecting your sources.
    I must have missed something because I don't see where it was said BD did not report ready to play and I don't see the reference to "foolishness". However, there were issues with BD as it related to his respect for Floyd and apparently with his belief that he did not have to show up timely for team travel, etc.

Originally posted by Unknown Poster
    Bristow? I can't believe Shinn would fire Floyd only to hire Bristow. It makes no sense.
    Bristow=Silas=Floyd=Bristow

It's a vicious circle...

Hopefully, Shinn knows better.

You think Silas' practices were a joke? The players used to play flag football during Bristow's practices.

Spreewell didn't have the first "choling" incident either. From what I hear, when Bristow was coaching the Hornets, he went after a player's agent and tried to choke him.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Let's face it: it's publicly embarresing for Shinn to admit he was wrong after only one season. For him to hire Bristow would tell me he has taken leave of his senses.

Bristow=Silas=Floyd=Bristow

It's a vicious circle...

Hopefully, Shinn knows better.

You think Silas' practices were a joke? The players used to play flag football during Bristow's practices.

Spreewell didn't have the first "choling" incident either. From what I hear, when Bristow was coaching the Hornets, he went after a player's agent and tried to choke him.
    I keep hearing, in my head, the "Simpson's" quote they play at the Arena when the officials make bad calls - "It gets worse and worse!"

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Port...s/simpson.html

Third one down under Homer...

Homer Simpson..... it just keeps getting worse and worse

Originally posted by Unknown Poster
    Let's face it: it's publicly embarresing for Shinn to admit he was wrong after only one season. For him to hire Bristow would tell me he has taken leave of his senses.
    Last year, he said he wanted to bring in an established coach and then hired Floyd. I highly doubt Bristow would get the job, but after last year...

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Port...s/simpson.html

Third one down under Homer...

Homer Simpson..... it just keeps getting worse and worse

Charter Member
    Originally posted by say-what
    I must have missed something because I don't see where it was said BD did not report ready to play and I don't see the reference to "foolishness". [/B]
    I am just responding (asking a question, actually) to what was posted. See below:

If BD shows up to play (and leaves the foolishness behind), there will be no problems.
    Originally posted by say-what
    However, there were issues with BD as it related to his respect for Floyd and apparently with his belief that he did not have to show up timely for team travel, etc. [/B]
    I can't really doubt this claim, because I really don't know what goes on inside of the Hornets organization, but let me ask you a question. Why is this kind of thing relevant? Would he have finished higher in scoring, assists, and steals if he was on time for the bus? Did his travel issues translate to bad play on the court? Did his teammates come out against him for his traveling transgressions, or have they all been late for travel at some time or another? If any of you can provide a causal link to show how Baron Davis' "Travelgate" hurt this team this year, I'm all ears.
    telling it like it is -- akshun

Maybe Baron could be the next coach. You know, a player coach. He could make up the rules as he goes along. Planes leave when he shows up. Shoot as often as possible. No discipline. He'd be a coach I'm sure he'd love...
    This is a great idea. Plus, you can be sure there will be no breakfast meetings.

I can't really doubt this claim, because I really don't know what goes on inside of the Hornets organization, but let me ask you a question. Why is this kind of thing relevant? Would he have finished higher in scoring, assists, and steals if he was on time for the bus? Did his travel issues translate to bad play on the court? Did his teammates come out against him for his traveling transgressions, or have they all been late for travel at some time or another? If any of you can provide a causal link to show how Baron Davis' "Travelgate" hurt this team this year, I'm all ears.
    Ah yes, we need a link for something that was never reported in the media. Can't and wont try to debate that one. If you believe it never happened because there isn't a link to back it up, thats fine.

As for how did it hurt the team... It was PART of the huge unraveling of the Hornets. When everyone is on the plane or bus and you (REPEATEDLY) show up 15, 20, 45 minutes late, it does cause a problem. You are a smart guy, I'll let you figure it out. Baron is supposed to be a leader on this team. His actions hardly showed it...

These players get paid HUGE money. This is BS.
    No, Harvey, this is BD.

Originally posted by St. Rock

No, Harvey, this is BD.
    One day, this guy will get serious about winning and he won't be in the middle of this kind of foolishness. At least thats what I'm hoping. The organization is hoping the same thing. BD is still young I guess. It took Steve Francis a while (and a severe breaking in by JVG) to get it. Francis is finally realizing that if he wants to win, he's going to have to do things differently. When he finally started to conform (mid season), the Rockets improved. They gave the Lakers a decent run. If he continues to listen to JVG and stick with the program, the Rockets will continue to get better. One day, BD may want to get better too...

How far has this team gone doing things BD's way? After many seasons of no playoffs, Francis finally started to get it...

I didn't hear the pc, but it sounds like Shinn was reasonable, and he was more unhappy with the discipline and control over the players, than Floyd's coaching "skills".

Then, there is that comment about 1 player already hating 1 candidate. Hopefully, what this means is that Shinn wants an experienced coach with a past record of success to make sure he doesnt have another situation with players not following the coach's orders. Then, as part of having more control over the team, he might question hiring someone who he knows will be a problem with player control from the start. Hopefully that is all that is meant by that comment, not that BD or anyone will dictate the coach or he would get a "player-friendly" coach again. Maybe, if we are lucky, that comment might even be a dig at that player because it certainly doesn't make the player sound very good.

Keep in mind, it is possible out of respect for Bass he wouldn't point the finger at him now. However, the resignation might suggest that he was more unhappy with him than this pc got into.

Charter Member

Ah yes, we need a link for something that was never reported in the media. Can't and wont try to debate that one. If you believe it never happened because there isn't a link to back it up, thats fine.

As for how did it hurt the team... It was PART of the huge unraveling of the Hornets. When everyone is on the plane or bus and you (REPEATEDLY) show up 15, 20, 45 minutes late, it does cause a problem. You are a smart guy, I'll let you figure it out. Baron is supposed to be a leader on this team. His actions hardly showed it...
    No, no, no. I am not talking about providing an internet news link, I am waiting for a link (as in hard evidence) by those who have brought this news to our attention to show how the "problem" brought on by Davis' alleged tardniness hurt the team on the court.

And I hardly think that anything can rival Mashburn's antics or Tim Floyd's repeated use of the high pick-and-roll, even after it had been shut down, when it comes to the unraveling of the Hornets last season.

Again, not an internet news link, but evidence by those in the know.

One day, this guy will get serious about winning and he won't be in the middle of this kind of foolishness. At least thats what I'm hoping. The organization is hoping the same thing. BD is still young I guess.
    Harvey (or anyone else), I've got a question for you that I've been wondering and this thread relates to it: Those of us at the games can't help but notice that at the very beginning BD is ALWAYS the last one on to the court, tucking in his shirt as he walks around giving fives (sometimes) to the other team. I've always thought it was just a quirky superstition, and my friend and I always get a kick out of it, here comes Baron again kind of thing. But in light of these comments, I wonder if some of the other players aren't put off by this, I mean it clearly is calculated to draw attention to Baron the Star, sort of like the band coming out to play a number or two before the star hits the stage. Is this an issue that has ruffled feathers, to your knowledge? Just curious.

No, no, no. I am not talking about providing an internet news link, I am waiting for a link (as in hard evidence) by those who have brought this news to our attention to show how the "problem" brought on by Davis' alleged tardniness hurt the team on the court.

And I hardly think that anything can rival Mashburn's antics or Tim Floyd's repeated use of the high pick-and-roll, even after it had been shut down, when it comes to the unraveling of the Hornets last season.

Again, not an internet news link, but evidence by those in the know.
    The reason it wasn't talked about often is because of Mashburn and Floyd's issues. Baron got to fly under the radar sort of. I'll let someone who is "in the know" try to explain the rest to you. Like I've always said, when I bring news to the board, you can take it or leave it. Maybe you should leave this one...

So, what brought on this conversation about BD in the first place? Shinn publically stated that a player had a problem with hiring a potential coach. We know that player is BD and I think that makes these other issues very relevent. Like I said, take it or leave it. This is part of the moving on process and BD needs to handle himself better. He sure didn't prove he was capalbe of doing so last season...

Originally posted by hoopdreams

Harvey (or anyone else), I've got a question for you that I've been wondering and this thread relates to it: Those of us at the games can't help but notice that at the very beginning BD is ALWAYS the last one on to the court, tucking in his shirt as he walks around giving fives (sometimes) to the other team. I've always thought it was just a quirky superstition, and my friend and I always get a kick out of it, here comes Baron again kind of thing. But in light of these comments, I wonder if some of the other players aren't put off by this, I mean it clearly is calculated to draw attention to Baron the Star, sort of like the band coming out to play a number or two before the star hits the stage. Is this an issue that has ruffled feathers, to your knowledge? Just curious.
    I don't know anything about this. I've noticed it as well and have just chalked it up to "Baron being Baron". He's a superstar ya know?

Come to think of it, this is exactly how he approaches the team buss and plane when he's late. Just kind of lolligaging around...

Charter Member

The reason it wasn't talked about often is because of Mashburn and Floyd's issues. Baron got to fly under the radar sort of. I'll let someone who "knows what they are talking about" try to explain the rest to you. Like I've always said, when I bring news to the board, you can take it or leave it. Maybe you should leave this one...

So, what brought on this conversation about BD in the first place? Shinn publically stated that a player had a problem with hiring a potential coach. We know that player is BD and I think that makes these other issues very relevent. Like I said, take it or leave it. This is part of the moving on process and BD needs to handle himself better. He sure didn't prove he was capalbe of doing so last season...
    I am not explicitly denying that Travelgate happened, HH. I am not fully accepting it either, but what I want to know is how that affected the team on the court. That's all. I mean, all I saw was a bunch of players trying to run a bad offense. As for Davis, the guy was with his team when he was hurt, rehabbing and working out, he pledged to become a more complete player at the beginning of the season, and lived up to it with his "top six" performances, and single-handedly carried his team throughout the season and in the playoffs. I guess if he would have made all of those planes and busses on time, he would have finished first in all statistical categories, the Hornets would still be in the playoffs, and Tim Floyd would have had a clue.

And exactly when was it established that the player the Shinn referred to in the press conference was Baron Davis? I missed that part. So now, when Mike Fratello does NOT get hired by the Hornets, which he won't, we can heap the blame for that on Baron Davis, right? Incredible.

Whoever the player is who is already whining about a possible replacement, send his crybaby arse elsewhere. What a pathetic loser.

WANH WANH WANH!!

It better not be Baron because I am already losing respect for him for his antics this season.

Originally posted by BayouHornet
    It better not be Baron because I am already losing respect for him for his antics this season.
    I agree. Even though he is the best athlete on the team and one of the best in the NBA, I do not think he should think he's above everyone. He needs to toe the line like everybody else or send him packing too. That's the trouble with these young guys suddenly getting all this max money.

Thread Information