Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shinn's Press Conference (Floyd Fired)

Originally posted by Lurkaholic
    He definitely said that. Said one coach he really wants is hated by one of his star players. (paraphrasing)
    If you thought Mashburn/Floyd was a great match up, wait until you see who we have scheduled next.

Make sure you see the big showdown. Davis/Fratello coming soon!!!

This enrages me. Mashburn did it to us last year and now (allegedly) BD is ALREADY a concern. They are discussing how he hates a coach who he never played for and isn't even hired to coach him. Who runs these teams?

If I were the owner, I swear, I'd pick who I wanted to coach the team and I'd get rid of anyone who is too juvenile to be part of a system. Any system for that matter. It's not like BD was listening to Floyd on or off the court. Now he already has issues for coaching candidates...

These players get paid HUGE money. This is BS. I'm really getting sick of the egos. There was a lot of things to talk about this year. I layed off of BD, BUT his ego was really out of control this year. Now this?

The Official Hornets Press Release on Floyd

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/floyd_fired040507.html

Floyd Relieved Of Coaching Duties

New Orleans – The New Orleans Hornets announced that Tim Floyd has been relieved of his duties as head coach.

Floyd was named as the sixth head coach of the Hornets on June 9, 2003. After finishing the regular season with a record of 41-41, the team was eliminated from the first round of the NBA Playoffs by the Miami Heat in seven games.

“We thank Tim for his hard work, but we are in a bottom-line business and it is our responsibility to create the best opportunity for our team to succeed,” said Hornets Owner George Shinn. “I want to express to our great fans that our goal of putting the best possible team on the court and to become a contender has remained the same. (Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations/General Manager) Bob Bass, (Assistant General Manager) Allan Bristow and myself will begin a coaching search immediately and I’m certain that we will find the best possible coach to accomplish that goal.”

No other decisions regarding basketball personnel have been made at this time. Bass announced his retirement effective June 30 on May 5.

“We hired a coach that we thought could help us make a run to the next level and we weren’t successful,” continued Shinn. “We will do what we can to get the coach who can help take us to that level. Our fans deserve to see this team play at its very best. Hopefully, this change will provide a stepping stone in that direction.”

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

If I were the owner, I swear, I'd pick who I wanted to coach the team and I'd get rid of anyone who is too juvenile to be part of a system.
    Shinn also referred to players as assets who can be kept or moved depending on their value/contribution to the team. Those who don't fit are assets that can be used to acquire new assets.

Shinn also left the door wide open concerning Mash, that is the question that ultimately led to the above comment.

It will be an interesting off season.

Re: The Official Hornets Press Release on Floyd

Originally posted by say-what
    http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/floyd_fired040507.html
    New Orleans – The New Orleans Hornets announced that Tim Floyd has been relieved of his duties as head coach.
    New Orleans!!! Don't they know the Hornets still play in Charlotte!!!

They obviously forgot to consult with ESPN on this before it was released.

So it seems as if the Head Coach may actually be announced first if Bass stays on until June 30th. What new GM would want to take over now with Bass looking over his shoulder until after the draft. I don't like this really. It smells of Bower or Bristow as GM. Maybe I'm wrong.

no I agree, it doesn't sound good. We need(ed?) to sever ties w/Bass & bring in a new GM before proceeding w/the search for the new HC...

I think everyone is assuming it is Baron he is talking about. If it is, I question Shinn's judgment in letting it out. I am wondering if it is Mashburn and Shinn is not worried about letting it out because Mash will not be around. I just see no positive in saying it if it is a player you plan on keeping around.

Charter Member
    "I would now like to introduce pelicansreport.com's scapegoat for the 2004-2005 season: Barrroooooonnnn Daaaaaaavvviiiiiiiiisssssss! Woooooo!"

I can't wait for the circus to start.

telling it like it is -- akshun

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    So it seems as if the Head Coach may actually be announced first if Bass stays on until June 30th. What new GM would want to take over now with Bass looking over his shoulder until after the draft. I don't like this really. It smells of Bower or Bristow as GM. Maybe I'm wrong.
    I have the same fear.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    I think everyone is assuming it is Baron he is talking about.
    On the phone right now and it is Baron thats being talked about. Lots of good stuff to talk about...

Originally posted by akshun
    "I would now like to introduce pelicansreport.com's scapegoat for the 2004-2005 season: Barrroooooonnnn Daaaaaaavvviiiiiiiiisssssss! Woooooo!"

I can't wait for the circus to start.

Akshun, it's not about being a scapegoat, it's about growing up. Thats not something I'm making up, it's something being discussed very openly in Hornetsville!!! This guy makes 85M dollars. It's time for him to focus himself. He's going to get a reputation of being uncoachable if he's not careful.

If BD shows up to play (and leaves the foolishness behind), there will be no problems.

BTW, Shinn was being kind about the Mashburn thing. Mash is a goner. Book it.

The Franchise
    Wasn't it Bass who recommended Floyd, yeah let's take his advice.

I think everyone is assuming it is Baron he is talking about. If it is, I question Shinn's judgment in letting it out. I am wondering if it is Mashburn and Shinn is not worried about letting it out because Mash will not be around. I just see no positive in saying it if it is a player you plan on keeping around.
    I think that's this is a good point, and I hope (beyond hope beyond hope beyond hope...) that you're right!!! Otherwise, coming out & saying this is such a mistake.

Originally posted by THAJCODE

I think that's this is a good point, and I hope (beyond hope beyond hope beyond hope...) that you're right!!! Otherwise, coming out & saying this is such a mistake.
    I think Shinn is going to pick a coach and if BD doesn't want him, too bad. Not sure how Geroge is trying to play this, but I think he's trying to hold a player (or players) accountable without mentioning names (yet).

Originally posted by sting
    Wasn't it Bass who recommended Floyd, yeah let's take his advice.
    No, Shinn picked Floyd. Bass just followed orders when he announced Floyd as his choice. All part of the dog and pony show.

On the phone right now and it is Baron thats being talked about.
    ack--WTF--WHY would they come out & say this!

George Shinn, media savvy NBA mogul...

On the phone right now and it is Baron thats being talked about. Lots of good stuff to talk about...

If that is the case, I question why Shinn would publicize this, especially so early. Does this mean that Shinn spoke to the players before letting Floyd go?

Originally posted by sting
    Exactly, Baron will want someone who let's him bomb away from 3 pt range. The player should not have any input at all.
    He didn't do that when Silas coached. And they had a great relationship.

I think Shinn is going to pick a coach and if BD doesn't want him, too bad.
    IMO that is the way it should be! However, I am a little perplexed by the notion that Shinn already has someone at the very top of the pecking order when it seemed he had no clue what to do last year. Also, I do not buy the fact that so many are calling for the job when just last season it seemed no one wanted this job.

If that is the case, I question why Shinn would publicize this, especially so early. Does this mean that Shinn spoke to the players before letting Floyd go?
    It might be general knowledge from last year's coaching search when Fratello's name was being circulated. It was no secret that certain players would not "appreciate" Fratello's style of coaching and everyone pretty much knew BD would be the most likely to have a problem with this.

Shinn said he has not spoken to the players about Floyd's firing since they've already left for the season and wouldn't talk to them until they return for training camp.

Originally posted by say-what

Shinn said he has not spoken to the players about Floyd's firing since they've already left for the season and wouldn't talk to them until they return for training camp.
    That seems to contradict the statement that he will consult with the players on the hiring of a coach.

Unless something has really changed since last year, do we think that Fratello is a realistic option? I remember the fact that he was Wooly's choice but I also seem to recall he wanted much $$$ and control. What would have changed?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I'm sorry I didn't get to see the press conference because it looks like Shinn confirmed why I think he's miles better than Benson.

- The swift action in getting rid of Floyd (under a week).
    - Admitting his mistake.
    - Setting his standards: nothing less than a title.
    - His philosophy of having a separate coach and GM.

I could go on and on...
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Also, I do not buy the fact that so many are calling for the job when just last season it seemed no one wanted this job.
    Wait.......refresh my memory. What occurred last year to suggest that nobody wanted this job?? I thought it was more a matter of our owner finding someone he wanted (i.e, who was available cheap). Maybe you mean, nobody wanted it badly enough to accept the money being offered??

Charter Member
    It looks like the circus has already started. Now we are supposed to believe that Baron was somehow not ready to play? The first player to finish in the top six in scoring, assists, and steals, in the history of the NBA, and he is not ready to play.

I would really like to know what this "foolishness" is that you refer to HH, but I know you won't be able to reveal it, you know, in the name of protecting your sources.

Thread Information