Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shinn's Press Conference (Floyd Fired)

Getting questions about future of team in general.

Refers to players as assets. Can move assets any way you want. Have a feel for players we want to keep and players we want to move.

Asked if have eye on replacement already as Coach.

Shinn says he has candidates in mind. Will also seek input from League and others in league.

Originally posted by say-what
    Shinn says he has candidates in mind. Will also seek input from League and others in league.
    That's good to hear. I hope he does it.

Asked about talking to players.

Shinn said he'd/team would be likely to seek input of their key players on what they thought of new coach candidates.

Asked about former players, said have to be careful because many don't do well, but said first thing he'd do is call league office.

Just ended

The Franchise
    The next coach has to tell Baron, It's my way or you can sit on the bench. This is bs for the players to not play because they don't like the coach and the coach afraid to bench him. Play or sit.

Unfortunately, this is a player's league. Shinn outright acknowledged that in responding to the last question about talking to the players about the coaching move.

Shinn said he'd/team would be likely to seek input of their key players on what they thought of new coach candidates.
    I disagree here. I wish they'd keep the players out of it. They need to play for whoever they bring in. They shouldn't get to choose. BD wants a pushover when he needs someone to light a fire under his butt and make him listen or else sit him on the bench.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Changed the title again because it's done. Overall, a decent press conference by two men who were OBVIOUSLY not happy being up there. Props to our media for asking some real questions and annoying them a bit.

/where're my pernts, S-W?? /

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    Yes!!!! Shinn said that just because you was a great player doesn't make you a coach.

I hope that means no to Avery Johnson.
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

The Franchise
    Exactly, Baron will want someone who let's him bomb away from 3 pt range. The player should not have any input at all.

CC, I should have typed "might" instead of "would be likely". He was responding to a question of whether he had talked to the players about the firing and said no, then went on and talked about how they "might talk to their key players" about what they thought of a particular candidate acknowledging that this is a player's league. I don't know how likely that is to happen based on Shinn's comment that he's not looking to hire a coach that would have say in player decisions and that you have a GM to evaluate and acquire talent and the coach has to deal with the talent he's given.

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    I bet old Paul is grinning from ear to ear right now.
    It's about time he takes his meds...

Originally posted by Lurkaholic

/where're my pernts, S-W?? /
    I got yo pernts, right here.

+5

But wait, I did almost all of the updates.

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    I disagree here. I wish they'd keep the players out of it. They need to play for whoever they bring in. They shouldn't get to choose. BD wants a pushover when he needs someone to light a fire under his butt and make him listen or else sit him on the bench.

Well, I think many of us agree with you, CC, in terms of the way it should be, but haven't we been seeing that the reality is otherwise?? In this climate, getting input (but perhaps not "permission") from key team leaders is probably a good move.

But wait, I did almost all of the updates.
    All part of my master plan, mon frer.

Originally posted by sting
    Exactly, Baron will want someone who let's him bomb away from 3 pt range. The player should not have any input at all.
    Maybe Baron could be the next coach. You know, a player coach. He could make up the rules as he goes along. Planes leave when he shows up. Shoot as often as possible. No discipline. He'd be a coach I'm sure he'd love...

Hire Fratello! I don't care what BD thinks about him...

Originally posted by hoopdreams

Well, I think many of us agree with you, CC, in terms of the way it should be, but haven't we been seeing that the reality is otherwise?? In this climate, getting input (but perhaps not "permission") from key team leaders is probably a good move.
    I think the "reality" you speak of is a result of the weak in the knee coaches we've seen here. Silas and Floyd both allowed too much levity on and off the court. I'd like to think the next hire might be closer to what actually should happen when a coach barks an order or gives explicit instructions to follow. This is a strength that I see in the Popovich's, Jackson's, and Nelson's of the league. There's no reason you can't have better control of your players from the get go.

Says there is one coach high on the pecking order, but one of the top players hates him
    Did he really say that? I am surprised he would let that out and I am also disturbed that he knows that already from the player!

He definitely said that. Said one coach he really wants is hated by one of his star players. (paraphrasing)

Could be Scott also. BD has close ties with Jefferson in NJ too. All of these guys talk to each other.

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    I bet that coach is either: The Czar or Byron Scott

And that player is: Baron Davis

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Did he really say that? I am surprised he would let that out and I am also disturbed that he knows that already from the player!
    ...and if he's speaking of Fratello, he's not being totally honest. Everyone knew a great deal of the players were concerned (afraid of discipline) about hiring the Czar. The final decision (by Shinn) had a lot more to do with Fratello's realationship with Wooly than what BD or any player thought...

Originally posted by Lurkaholic

All part of my master plan, mon frer.
    Damn you Lurk .... I fell for the trap.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    Everyone knew a great deal of the players were concerned (afraid of discipline) about hiring the Czar.
    Discipline is surely what they'll get this time. I'm sure we'll see the opposite extreme from Floyd now.

Thread Information