Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Fired! {mod edit - confirmed}

Breaking News Floyd Fired!

The Hornets have called for a press conference at 11:30 today. They aren't saying why...
    Last edited by GW93; 05-07-2004 at 09:39 AM.

Rookie

Floyd Fired

Check out nola.com

Link:

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breaking/

Someone on nola.com board just posted a message saying Floyd is fired. Don't know if credible.

Rookie

Answer to my own question:

Floyd Fired!

I do wish him well. I hope there's not great rejoicing (at least not too much publicly)..........it's done, let's move on and hopefully make a good choice this time. Good luck, Timmy, you gave it a shot, thanks for the effort.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/...19af8f523.html

Eyewitness Sports’ Reporter Lee Zurik has learned that the Hornets will fire head coach Tim Floyd. The announcement is expected at an 11 a.m. press conference.

+5 GW93 and DieHardHornet

I do wish Floyd well, but it was obvious that he wasn't meant to be in the NBA. He's a much better teacher which makes him a much better college coach. I hope his stay with the Hornets hasn't tarnished his image in the college ranks. Best of luck for Tim.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Hallelujah! I voted Friday on UKP's poll and it was! Now, let's get down to business and let's get a GM and another Coach that can prove us as real winners in the West! GO HORNETS!!!!

FINALLY
    In America there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans everywhere else is Cleveland. - Mark Twain

I was in the minority when it came to Floyd, I would have liked to see what he did with a healthy team, ala 17-7 start to the season, but he's gone now and I look forward to the Hornets making a hire of a accomplished NBA head coach. I wish Tim Floyd all the luck in finding a post in the college ranks because I doubt he'll ever be more than an assistant in the NBA from here on.

The Franchise

Phone number?

What's Byron Scott's phone number?
    Now that my fellow posters would be a major hire.

Good luck Tim.

Now...fresh start, Hornets.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

I won't let myself get excited until I hear who his replacement will be.
    Last edited by rainwater; 05-07-2004 at 10:24 AM.

Hopefully, Tim will go the way of the Pitino and land a nice college gig somewhere. (LSU?)
    the Legend has spoken!

Hopefully they can get an established coach that can instill some discipline into the team to aid BD's growth and that of the (hopefully) younger talent we will bring in.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Originally posted by Adam the Legend
    Hopefully, Tim will go the way of the Pitino and land a nice college gig somewhere. (LSU?)
    That's what everybody I know is saying--we all wish him well---he just belongs in college. I'd love to see him do well back in college hoops. He's just not NBA material. Good luck to Floyd.

I'd love to see him @ LSU. I think he'd fit well there & would get them over the hump that Brady seems to fall short of year in/year out.

Originally posted by alon504

That's what everybody I know is saying--we all wish him well---he just belongs in college. I'd love to see him do well back in college hoops. He's just not NBA material. Good luck to Floyd.

Tim and John Brady are close friends from way back. I'm sure that Tim would not wish for Brady to be fired, and certainly is going to be uncomfortable with all the talk on this subject that undoubtedly will come up.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Best wishes, Tim.

I love the guy as a person and a NCAA Div I basketball coach.... just not the NBA coaching sort. He did give it his all. I hope he can get back into a big Division I program, preferably an SEC one.

In the article on ESPN.com, Marc Stein is reporting that Alvin Gentry and Avery Johnson are candidates to replace Floyd. I'm not sure about you, but those names don't pump me with enthusiasm for our move to the Western Conference. I guess Johnson would following the trend of recent players becoming head coach, like Doc Rivers and Byron Scott. Although those two have been fired within the last year, I don't know if that is a good route to take. I think we need a big name coach with some credibility to come in here and move this team forward in the WC next year. Someone who can help Baron mature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1797077

Re: Phone number?

Originally posted by dvdman
    What's Byron Scott's phone number?
    Now that my fellow posters would be a major hire.
    Yeah, because he was so well respected in Jersey.

A coach doesn't get fired after taking a team to the finals for no reason.

The reason- he was a figurehead. Didn't do much and Eddie Jordan was really running the team.

Scott is not an NBA caliber head coach unless he has an assistant to run things.

Originally posted by triplela
    In the article on ESPN.com, Marc Stein is reporting that Alvin Gentry and Avery Johnson are candidates to replace Floyd. I'm not sure about you, but those names don't pump me with enthusiasm for our move to the Western Conference. I guess Johnson would following the trend of recent players becoming head coach, like Doc Rivers and Byron Scott. Although those two have been fired within the last year, I don't know if that is a good route to take. I think we need a big name coach with some credibility to come in here and move this team forward in the WC next year. Someone who can help Baron mature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1797077
    Noooooooooo!!!! Please just say no to especially Johnson. He could fit an entire pizza in his mouth at one time it's so big. He might be ok as an assistant or a motivational speaker (especially to the religious players) but I just cannot see him as a great Xs and Os guy from the times I've heard him speak. There was a lot of talk recently about the mid 90s Spurs and divisiveness in the lockerroom between the religious guys (Johnson, Robinson) and the not so religious Rodman, Haley etc. I just don't think Johnson is a great fit.

YES!

Thread Information