Pelicans Report

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1087

Thread: Summer League

I actually think Patric won the battle between him and Vanleh. Vanleh even fouled out. Couldn't handle the size of Patric.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    You may make a good good assessment of talent, but your approach would cause me to think you talk out of your (*&

Listening to you would automatically make me assume he is not as bad as you say he is, but he may need to improve some areas.

Given your over confident opinion I don't expect you will take my feedback very seriously either.
    All I'm saying is that I don't think the guy is good. Is that a damn crime?

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    The problem with some people is that when they look at players on a team they want every dude to be an all star if their starting and sixth man of the year if they are on the bench. It don't work like that. Rivers, Young, Withey and so forth are young guys. As long as you see improvements, those guts will bring you exactly what you want when you want

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    The problem with some people is that when they look at players on a team they want every dude to be an all star if their starting and sixth man of the year if they are on the bench. It don't work like that. Rivers, Young, Withey and so forth are young guys. As long as you see improvements, those guts will bring you exactly what you want when you want
    But the problem is, Withey has shown nothing but regression, and young isn't all that in a bag of potato chips.

Quote Originally Posted by LSULSULSU View Post
    All I'm saying is that I don't think the guy is good. Is that a damn crime?
    No, you have a right to your opinion. I am just saying I am not convinced.

He went undrafted....what's the issue?
    What ever he brings will be a bonus.

I think the Pelicans actually got two quality "2nd"round picks, even though they went into draft without any picks. Most don't stick on a roster. I think both of these men have a chance. And Patric Young was considered draftable, and ranked in the top 5 or so players not drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He went undrafted....what's the issue?
    What ever he brings will be a bonus.
    He was expected to be drafted in the early part of the 2nd round. He truly will be a bonus if he makes the roster, as will Smith.

Watching Utah's Trey Burke play in SL. I'm so glad we didn't draft him.

Russ Smith has the same height and weight as Allen Iverson. 6'0" 165. Not as much talent as AI but who does. Russ seems like he has a strong competitive drive and is 23 already. I think he should get 10-12 minutes per game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I agree. Dodged a bullet there.

If Noel becomes a star, uninformed people might blast us for that trade, but we will know the truth, and if we had Burke instead of Holiday at PG, I wouldn't be very optimistic about this year and beyond.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Taller than Isaiah Thomas. Taller than Ty Lawson. He plays good defense and was taught well by Rick Pitino. Remember this is a deep draft so someone in the 2nd round in this draft could be as good as someone in the 1st round in another draft.
    Size is not just about height. He is very slight of build. Hopefully it is not an issue for him and like I said, he probably has a few years to develop his body. I hope he becomes a stud, but I would not go overboard based on summer league.

I liked Schwan's comparison of Orlando Darrell Armstrong. Would love to get that kind of production off the bench down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I liked Schwan's comparison of Orlando Darrell Armstrong. Would love to get that kind of production off the bench down the line.
    Interesting comparison. Always loved Armstrong's energy and Smith seems to play with a lot energy as well. I can see some similarities there.

What's been up with p young he hasn't been as effective as the first game?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Regression to the mean, seems like. Had a very undersized frontline vs the D-League Selects. And he threw them around. Teams threw beefier players at him, made sure to get a body on him sooner. So he came down a bit.

Now, we see what kinda worker is he. He's in great shape, but he could always stand to get even stronger, if at all possible. Better footwork and positioning and the more subtle nuance. I'm not even slightly worried about him long term. Think we've got ourselves an off the bench UDFA stud. A rarity in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    He struggled a bit today versus vonleh/zeller(2 first rounders) but was very legit in the first 3 games.

I'm not worried at all. He's a better than advertised rebounder and has amazing strength/energy. Footwook could be better and offense isn't perfect but that'll come(only 22).

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I haven't watched any SL games this year, but Burke looked pretty damn good when he came back from injury and settled down as a starter for Utah last year. Played like the first round lotto pick he was.

I wouldn't put much stock into SL games for a player that is NOT on the fringe.

I've seen 3 of the games so far - DVR playing now - and I'm pretty impressed considering Pels aren't sporting any 1st round picks.

Russ - I'm sold. Sign me up. Speed. Will. Speed. I like the Armstrong comparison, but I think Russ has a little better speed and shimmy/shake ability rating. Definitely going to have a career. Needs to clean some things up, but not to far away because I see quick learning already. But don't expect him to get much bigger.

Patrick Young - Glad we have him. Needed a real physical presence off the bench. Can play 4's & 5's. Will work and get better. But probably not a starter. To stick long term, will need to refine those offensive skills and hone that jump hook. But I have some concerns about the hands?!

Fells - I agree with some of you guys. Give him a contract. A smallish (but rangy) 3 with the sweet J. Looks like a willing and crafty defender. Kind of reminds me of a favorite during my Houston period - Mario Elie. Essentially undrafted out of college (Elie went in the 7th round). Breaks into the league at 27 after playing abroad and in minor leagues. Plays solid D and lets the stars create looks that he is unafraid to knock down. Just Feels right. (rimshot)

Withey - impressed with the body. showing some improvement. Still not sold. Not sure you can cure the slowness agility deficit that seems to ail him. At this point, If I had to decide, I would rather give the minutes to Ajinca or even maybe Young before I put Withey in a real game. Willing to be patient because there is still a lot to like. Want to see some more of that 18 footer.

Eric Gordon - looks svelte in the pictures. Man, if he were happy, healthy and motivated, he could be really good. The team could be sooooo gooooood. NO NO NO NO. I cant get those hopes up again... Oh why not? contract year..?... he does look fit....

I said it before, I think, the ultimate success or failure of Demps will depend on identifying and developing the cheap or even free talent available outside the NBA. He cashed his cap chips in and got a pretty nice group around his superstar. But so far, even assuming AD becomes a top 5 player very soon, I wouldn't really say we have a championship squad. Sure the other big money guys can get a little better and a lot wiser, but that still only put us "in the picture." What puts you over the top is getting big contributions from some of those other cheap guys. (Again: See Spurs) Maybe for the Pels its a Russ Smith or Patrick Young. Luke Babbit or Ajinca. Who knows. Demps seems to have a good eye at the bargain basement bin. (Maybe because he spent his playing career there and knows what it takes to make it there.)

And really, for this town, I think that is all we can really expect. I'm ready to go. Lets get that arena painted!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I haven't watched any SL games this year, but Burke looked pretty damn good when he came back from injury and settled down as a starter for Utah last year. Played like the first round lotto pick he was.

I wouldn't put much stock into SL games for a player that is NOT on the fringe.
    Really it's hard for a high IQ structured PG to shine in summer league. Poor spacing, limited time spent with limited talent. His poor shooting is concerning considering how poorly he shot last season. But the biggest thing that Trey did that impressed was play defense. He cleans up the shooting he has the potential to be really good. Hard to project number with a new coaching staff, but I wouldn't be surprise if he has 8 apg and somewhere near 17ppg.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-18-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Really it's hard for a high IQ structured PG to shine in summer league. Poor spacing, limited time spent with limited talent. His poor shooting is concerning considering how poorly he shot last season. But the biggest thing that Trey did that impressed was play defense. He cleans up the shooting he has the potential to be really good. Hard to project number with a new coaching staff, but I wouldn't be surprise if he has 8 ASP and somewhere near 17ppg.
    Wait. So only dumb PGs are good in SL? Lol. come on now.

If rivers could score 20+ points there is no excuse for anyone for not doing the same. Spacing or no spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Really it's hard for a high IQ structured PG to shine in summer league. Poor spacing, limited time spent with limited talent. His poor shooting is concerning considering how poorly he shot last season. But the biggest thing that Trey did that impressed was play defense. He cleans up the shooting he has the potential to be really good. Hard to project number with a new coaching staff, but I wouldn't be surprise if he has 8 apg and somewhere near 17ppg.
    I should clean this post up.

It's not that high IQ players struggle. Burke is a marginal NBA athlete therefore he needs to be able to have options in order to have a greater impact on the game. Unless his jump shot(with range) is on he's not going to be able to go out consistently give you 25 a night without team mates that pose some type of threat whether it be cutting, finishing at the cup or spacing the floor. When you have no feel for the players you are playing with or the defense has no respect for them players have to compensate for that with either great shooting(and Burke has been off) or great athleticism(and Burke doesn't have it).

So I noticed Wiggins didn't play for the Cavs tonight...

edit: Neither did Bennett...

Thread Information