Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Utah targetted Anderson

Utah targetted Anderson

Interesting that they were willing to part with Millsap.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Report: Jazz targeted Ryan Anderson
    3:19
    PM ETUtah Jazz Recommend0 Comments1Email According to Brian T. Smith of The Salt Lake Tribune, the Utah Jazz were in trade talks with Orlando last month for Ryan Anderson before the Magic dealt him to New Orleans.

Smith speculates that the Jazz would have likely given up Paul Millsap in any deal for Anderson, and ultimately backed out of the talks.

It's difficult to know what to make of this. With Millsap now set on playing out his contract and becoming an unrestricted free agent after next season, we have to wonder if Utah may wish they would have pulled the trigger on the deal. Had they done so, they'd still have a deep frontcourt with Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter, but would also have the game's premier stretch 4. With Anderson is no longer an option, there really aren't any other players quite like him in the league today.

If the Jazz still want to add a big man who can stretch the floor, as they reportedly did this summer, the closest thing out there could be someone like Phoenix's Channing Frye. That may be something to keep an eye on in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Interesting that they were willing to part with Millsap.
    It sounds like they were unwilling to part with Millsap and that is why Anderson is a Hornet.

I would rather have Anderson.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    It sounds like they were unwilling to part with Millsap and that is why Anderson is a Hornet.
    Or ORL didn't want to take on his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Or ORL didn't want to take on his salary.
    Probably that.

It didn't sound like that at all. It sounded like they would have given Milsap without hesitation. My money is on Utah hesitating to give Anderson the 8 mil that he received from the Hornets.

sooo Gustavo Ayon > Millsap

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    More like Dell Demps >>>> Kevin O'Connor

Utah had a $10 million dollar TPE that they could have used to absorb Anderson's contract, but they didn't because their GM is a moron. Demps just knows how to make things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    More like Dell Demps >>>> Kevin O'Connor

Utah had a $10 million dollar TPE that they could have used to absorb Anderson's contract, but they didn't because their GM is a moron. Demps just knows how to make things happen.
    I agree. 8 million is a damn good deal for Anderson.

Demps is a genius. That's the only explanation for all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    No, just a smaller non-guaranteed expiring contract. They probably only wanted Millsap as an expiring, not as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    It didn't sound like that at all. It sounded like they would have given Milsap without hesitation. My money is on Utah hesitating to give Anderson the 8 mil that he received from the Hornets.
    Sorry, I didn't have time to go find the link again earlier. A different article I read made it sound like they didn't want to give up Millsap.

They wanted him. But the price was too steep — Paul Millsap.

That according to a new report from Brian Smith at the Salt Lake Tribune.

To acquire Anderson, Utah likely would have been forced to give up power forward Paul Millsap. While the Jazz were interested in Anderson and considered making the deal, Utah ultimately backed off.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter

Passing up Anderson just to keep Millsap is pretty dump.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    YOU CAN'T HAVE ANDERSON JUST LIKE WE CAN'T HAVE YOUR AWESOME NAME!
    @DanielVeuleman

Sorry, I didn't have time to go find the link again earlier. A different article I read made it sound like they didn't want to give up Millsap.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter
    But here's the thing. Orlando traded Anderson to the Hornets for nothing... A player who would later on be waived. I don't believe for one second that Milsap was the reason that the deal fell through. I'm not buying. The 8 mil imo is what kept Utah from pulling the trigger.

The writer never confirmed that Milsap was the reason the deal fell through. All Smith confirm was that Utah was interested, considered it, and ultimately pulled out. Whatever the reason, I'm happy we landed him.

8 million for Anderson isn't much at all.

But I think they also want Favors as the PF long-term so in their mind, why pay for 4 years of Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    But I think they also want Favors as the PF long-term so in their mind, why pay for 4 years of Anderson.
    But uh, don't we want Davis as our long term PF?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    No, the team thinks Davis will be the center once he physically matures. He's probably gonna end up 7'0 240-245

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    i would like to see davis play the PF his entire rookie year. but the goal is to eventually move him to center. kind of like bosh/duncan/garnett

No, the team thinks Davis will be the center once he physically matures. He's probably gonna end up 7'0 240-245
    i would love for him to get up to 245, but i think that is just too much weight for him to put on. i think he will end up like bosh 235 or 240. hope i am wrong though. 7' 245 would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i would love for him to get up to 245, but i think that is just too much weight for him to put on. i think he will end up like bosh 235 or 240. hope i am wrong though. 7' 245 would be perfect
    It really depends when his body starts to mature. He's gonna naturally put on weight as he gets older. I imagine he will definitely get to 240 eventually. He's about 230 now. I think he will get 10 more pounds.

It really depends when his body starts to mature. He's gonna naturally put on weight as he gets older. I imagine he will definitely get to 240 eventually. He's about 230 now. I think he will get 10 more pounds.
    Exactly, he doesn't turn 20 until March! Coming into the league I think he was like 220, 222, and he claims he put on the 10 lbs, so if AD was telling the truth then 230 is probably pretty accurate. I can definitely see him making some kind of jump in next year's off season since he will have the time to focus just on that. Unlike this year.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.

*definitely

I'm one of the biggest grammar nazis I know, but I don't police message boards. That's like pissing in the wind.

Especially when it's from someone that has been here 2 months.

Thread Information