Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bulls GM on Asik deal

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    I agree with the cooler heads among us that first round picks after #3 or so have minimal value. If somebody gave you a $2 Lottery Scratch-Off for free and you could find a buyer to give you $1 for it, you would probably sell it. If you desparately needed the dollar to buy food or gas, you would definitely sell unless you were a hopeless optimist (some would say fool). The draft pick cost us nothing, and we really needed someone like Asik. What is so hard to understand?
    Top 3 are for stars, 4~8 are for starters, 9~14 are for backups. Everything else is lucky to be in the rotation. This is going from memory based off the BBS article from the AD draft.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Trading for Asik is a gamble but first round picks are not. Someone tell Greg Oden, Darko Milicic, Jonny Flynn, Adam Morrison, Sam Bowie, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Olowokandi, Derrick Williams, Ike Diogu, Tyrus Thomas, Yi Jianlian ...
    Excellent point, but a lot of people overvalue draft picks.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    Excellent point, but a lot of people overvalue draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What was he singing?
    Sorry always thinking in musical references. Thanks for pointing out my error.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Sorry always thinking in musical references. Thanks for pointing out my error.
    That's why I found it funny because of your musical reference to most things.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Offensively or defensively?
    Don't get me wrong I love having Omer on our team and I think he will contribute greatly. I just noticed at the game against the Thunder that he frequently failed to get his hands up when contesting shots near the rim. He also did not set his feet to take charges and looked like a matador at times just stepping aside and allowing Thunder players to get to rim. He was often stuck under the rim on D and not in good position to block out on rebounds. The Thunder only managed 32 points in the paint however. I never expected him to be an offensive weapon but in fact he did make 2-4 shots. He also displayed crisp passing and had 3 assist. He also managed 3 TO's. He did hustle down court on both O and D. His outlet passes are not as aggressive as I expected. He managed to pull down 7 rebounds in 20 minutes. He only committed one foul. I expect some of his lack of aggressiveness in the D paint was due to preseason. I fully expect him to pick it up once the games count.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-17-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    That's why I found it funny because of your musical reference to most things.
    Ha. On second thought, if he did sing it would be in the low register. His voice is reminiscent of "Lurch" from the TV series "The Adams Family" Maybe he could pull of a Neil Diamond song like "Sweet Caroline" which never gets above 2 or 3 treble notes or the aria "Votre Toast"
    from Bizet's Carmen?

There's value in draft picks. They are cheap and barring the very rare Greg Monroe situations they usually stay with the team that draft them on a 2nd contract if they show NBA talent. Having a draft pick certainly isn't a sure thing, but there are plenty of advantages of having one over a veteran who's one year away from free agency.

The whole mystery thing(draft) for a small market team will be how a small market team becomes a chamionship caliber team IMO. As good as Asik at this point he's not going to transform us into a championship team.

It is not just Jrue vs. the two rookies used with those picks.

It is Jrue vs. the two rookies used with those picks vs. what other vets the Pels could have gotten with those picks.

Example, lets say the Cavs don't luck into the #1 pick - got more or less ping pong balls because the Pels took Nerlens Noel and kept him, rather than doing the Jrue trade. Now, let's assume the Pels also landed the 8th or 9th pick in the draft and Ryno never gets that neck injury, because everything would have been different last year.

Minny knows they are not going to keep Love. GS won't offer Klay and whoever drafts Wiggins won't trade him because they know Love won't stay with them (lets say Philly). Could we have shipped Noel, the 9th pick, and Gordon for Love? Or maybe Noel and Ryno, and kept the 9th pick to take Elfrid Payton?

Honestly, that is the better debate IMO. We will never know, but I don't think Dell wanted rookies. So, the question is: Could they have gotten a better vet if they waited?
    @mcnamara247

If he had traded for Love it would have been the same argument except we'd have had to give up even more assets for a possible rental.

The Asik trade I don't think can be argued as bad in any possible way. We gave up 1 pick for a guy that 6 months previously had a 2 1st round price tag. Not only that but we were able to get him from a division rival.

Also, with the protection of the pick if we achieve what we are expected to then we don't even lose the pick this year. And depending how good of a run we might not lose it for multiple years.

I like the idea of having our backcourt locked up for cheap. Even if we had traded for Love and he would have stayed he was going to hit us with a huge contract. As we stand now we will have possibly very good flexibility and a very talented team.

Would I like Love? Of course. He might just be the best fit next to AD in the entire NBA. But when you think of it as not have Jrue, Ryno, or Asik for Love and a 2015 pick, I kinda like that we are good depth and a solid backcourt and front court with only one position needing to be filled and a ton of money to fill it next year.

I don't think anyone said that the asik move was a bad one. My problem with it, and I think most others who weren't 100% on board with it, was that we overpaid for him

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I don't think anyone said that the asik move was a bad one. My problem with it, and I think most others who weren't 100% on board with it, was that we overpaid for him
    He's better than what you get the majority of the time with the tenth pick.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    What do you think we should've sent?

How did we overpay? Houston wanted 2 1st for him and they ended up trading to a division rival for a protected 1st that could take years before they get.

What were we suppose to do? Offer them Withey and a bag of chips for top 2 rebounding and defensive C in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    What do you think we should've sent?
    I would obviously have preferred not to have given up a first at all, but I'm just going to assume that Dell tried that and it was a nonstarter. The protections on the pick are what bother me because I can think of many more scenarios that end with us picking in the top 10 than ending with us in the playoffs. If we would have been able to get a top 15 protection on the pick, I would have been completely OK with the trade (and again, I'm not mad at it but I just think we gave up more than we had to).

By all accounts, the Rockets absolutely had to get rid of Asik at the time because of their flirtation with Melo. That, coupled with Asik's blatant desire to leave Houston should have significantly lowered his price. I think that if Dell could have played hard ball for a little bit longer, the trade would have tilted a lot more in our favor. Instead we gave up one of the more coveted assets in the league for what could (but probably, hopefully won't) be a one year rental.

Top 15 protected pick for Asik? That's practically giving him away. We got a HELL OF A DEAL on Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Top 15 protected pick for Asik? That's practically giving him away. We got a HELL OF A DEAL on Asik.
    That's not the protection. It's a weird top 3 protected and then 15ish up protected.

Meaning only way Houston gets it is if it falls 3-15ish. If we make playoffs they don't.

Wait.. how the hell is Love a good fit next to A.D.. is that a joke??
    He is a stretch 4, and Davis is also a 4 that has range.
    Not only would Davis have to not play in his preferred position, the spacing would be horrible and Love would take away what Davis could be as he would simply dominate and demand the ball, something Davis should be doing..
    I would honestly prefer Asik over Love anyday, may i also ask how many times Love has been to the playoffs.
    The guys a selfish ******* and cares about padding his stats more than winning.

I would obviously have preferred not to have given up a first at all, but I'm just going to assume that Dell tried that and it was a nonstarter. The protections on the pick are what bother me because I can think of many more scenarios that end with us picking in the top 10 than ending with us in the playoffs. If we would have been able to get a top 15 protection on the pick, I would have been completely OK with the trade (and again, I'm not mad at it but I just think we gave up more than we had to).

By all accounts, the Rockets absolutely had to get rid of Asik at the time because of their flirtation with Melo. That, coupled with Asik's blatant desire to leave Houston should have significantly lowered his price. I think that if Dell could have played hard ball for a little bit longer, the trade would have tilted a lot more in our favor. Instead we gave up one of the more coveted assets in the league for what could (but probably, hopefully won't) be a one year rental.
    So you think that others didnt have offer for Asik. Who were preferably out of their devision and was setting up another playoff competitor for them to fight against?

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Not only would Davis have to not play in his preferred position, the spacing would be horrible and Love would take away what Davis could be as he would simply dominate and demand the ball, something Davis should be doing..
    I would honestly prefer Asik over Love anyday, may i also ask how many times Love has been to the playoffs.
    You weren't the only one wondering the same thing. Love a perfect fit next to AD? Hah? We already have Love lite in Anderson and there is a reason the front O still badly wanted a true center.

AD in his prime is a C

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    AD in his prime is a C
    I'm sorry but he isn't, his a PF and will remain as one for the rest of his career, he plays like KG and Bosh and they were never centers..

AD can probably defend most centers and score on most centers. However, he would probably pick up way too many fouls and nagging injuries doing it. It's like hauling rocks in your Mercedes..... You could do it, but why would you if you had the choice? Asik is built to handle that load. He is the right fit for the job of battling for position down low to protect the paint and grab rebounds. AD is versatile and skilled so he can protect the rim and rebound also, but he is not heavy duty to handle it for the long haul. We rented a highly rated heavy-duty truck for a year to protect our Mercedes, and there is no way we would have been able to find a substitute of Asik's caliber in the draft. Nobody else on our roster (between Ajinca, Withey, or Young) can protect the paint without fouling and rebound effectively like Asik. Keeping Davis healthy and happy is priority one, and I appreciate Dell making that move!

No single roster move will transform a 27-win team into a championship team, certainly not the 12th or 15th pick in next year's draft. That pick would not help us win this year unless we traded it, and it wouldn't help maximize the productivity of our superstar (and minimize his chance for injury) this year either. Winning now may keep AD happy and attract a decent small forward and some quality role players to join him here next year. That is our best chance to build that championship team piece by piece.

I'm sorry but he isn't, his a PF and will remain as one for the rest of his career, he plays like KG and Bosh and they were never centers..
    They won championships playing center.

Thread Information