Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cousins Trade Idea With The Bucks

Banned
    AD to the Celtics
    Pay DC the Max negotiate the deal before the trade.
    Lets Roll the Dice Demps !!!

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    He’s been here long enough for us to offer that extra year or whatever?
    We have his Birds Rights which means we can offer an extra year and also higher year over year raises while being able to sign him while over the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    If this team sticks with Holiday- AD- Boogie as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never. And it would take A LOT of moving pieces to even get to that point.

Right now? Our ceiling is a 1st round beatdown. And that's assuming AD isn't set to miss a significant number of games with his groin injury. Exciting times.
    I'm sorry, here I thought I'd ended up on a Pelicans team board, and instead it seems that I accidentally landed on a Lakers or other entitled team's board.

Here's the entire franchise history of the team I THOUGHT this board followed:

One single 2nd round appearance in 15 years. Heck, even if you included the entire franchise history of Charlotte, both Hornets and Bobcats, you'd STILL never, in 28 years of Charlotte ball and 15 of Pels ball, so 43 total years and not a single appearance beyond the second round.

And heck, while we're at it, I could throw in the Raptors for 22 more years and 1 single ECF appearance that would not have been an ECF in the West. Minny made it to the WCF 1 single time in their 28 years. In fact only past the first round 1 time in 28 years. I could turn to old franchises and find that the Wizards even been past the 2nd round in 39 years. Atlanta hasn't been past the 2nd round in 47 years. For that matter neither have the Clippers.

But now Pelicans fans have mysteriously gotten so high and mighty they are gonna throw down the "boo!! they'll NEVER make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs" gauntlet. "Boooorring!"

That's odd, and the thing is even if I believed it, which I don't -- it flies in the face of league history -- you could make the exact same statement about almost every team fighting for playoff positioning in the West.

If this team sticks with Nurkic - Lillard - McCollum as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Murray - Milsap - Jokic as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Gobert - Favors - Mitchell as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Evans - Conley - Gasol as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.

But of course maybe they will. All it takes is a sprained ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Sans a good playoff run, Boogie is gone imo. He has no incentive to re-sign here. Any team can pay him what we can. AD on the other hand probably is a Pel for life. The money is going to be too much to pass on.
    He has a fellow superstar who just so happens to be a homie, and people keep on forgetting the Pelicans are effectively his hometown franchise. No team is closer to home for him.

It's impossible to tell just how much the Sacto situation has messed with his head, but this is what he has tattooed across his back:

I seriously think teams and fans have more trouble with the concept of loyalty than DeMarcus has.

It's easy to say Boogie will leave, it's harder to say where he will go that's a better option. Some people just love to be pessimists.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We have his Birds Rights which means we can offer an extra year and also higher year over year raises while being able to sign him while over the cap.
    Didn’t know that.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I'm sorry, here I thought I'd ended up on a Pelicans team board, and instead it seems that I accidentally landed on a Lakers or other entitled team's board.

Here's the entire franchise history of the team I THOUGHT this board followed:

One single 2nd round appearance in 15 years. Heck, even if you included the entire franchise history of Charlotte, both Hornets and Bobcats, you'd STILL never, in 28 years of Charlotte ball and 15 of Pels ball, so 43 total years and not a single appearance beyond the second round.

And heck, while we're at it, I could throw in the Raptors for 22 more years and 1 single ECF appearance that would not have been an ECF in the West. Minny made it to the WCF 1 single time in their 28 years. In fact only past the first round 1 time in 28 years. I could turn to old franchises and find that the Wizards even been past the 2nd round in 39 years. Atlanta hasn't been past the 2nd round in 47 years. For that matter neither have the Clippers.

But now Pelicans fans have mysteriously gotten so high and mighty they are gonna throw down the "boo!! they'll NEVER make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs" gauntlet. "Boooorring!"

That's odd, and the thing is even if I believed it, which I don't -- it flies in the face of league history -- you could make the exact same statement about almost every team fighting for playoff positioning in the West.

If this team sticks with Nurkic - Lillard - McCollum as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Murray - Milsap - Jokic as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Gobert - Favors - Mitchell as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.
    If this team sticks with Evans - Conley - Gasol as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never.

But of course maybe they will. All it takes is a sprained ankle.
    If you're happy with a 2nd round ceiling (which we're not even close to right now), good for you. It doesn't mean I have to be.

Have Portland, Utah, or Denver ever had a top 5 player on their team in the past 20 years outside maybe Karl Malone? Those teams have had stars. They haven't had superstars. There's a massive difference. Particularly when he's on a rookie contract. And here's the kicker. They still have accomplished more than we have since we drafted AD. We have one first round sweep to show off at the hands of GS.

Those teams are professional organizations with well-respected staff, culture, and stability. Our reputation is misdiagnosing our players' injuries and underachieving year after year. Their fan bases can expect a "floor of mediocrity" for years to come because their teams know how to build for the present and future. We clearly can't.

AD has been a top 5 talent for 4 years now. For 2 of those years, AD was extremely underpaid. And for 3 of those years, Jrue wasn't on a horrific contract. And we have nothing, team construction wise or accolades wise, to show for it except a handful of terrible contracts and what ifs.

We had a window to be special. And we blew it because of your exact thinking. Several teams are happy with mediocrity. We should be to! Not me. This is the CP3 era all over again. But worse. We had at least one special season with Paul in 08. Can't say the same with AD unless you want to count sneaking into the 8th seed lol.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    If you're happy with a 2nd round ceiling (which we're not even close to right now), good for you. It doesn't mean I have to be. AD has been a top 5 talent for almost 4 years now. For 3 of those years he was extremely underpaid. And we have nothing, team construction wise or accolades wise, to show for it.
    Well we did have the worse injury luck ever and no Demarcus Cousins. Come playoffs, when the game slows down, 2 unstoppable bigs will be a huge advantage. Even if the team isn't complete yet, you don't break up the core, you get better surrounding players.

You know Golden State could've done the same thing? Which they almost did if CP would've agreed to an extension. They would've traded both Curry and Klay. Moral of the story, patience is a major key.

This board has so many negative people that I expect complaints after definitive wins. Last night's win didn't get many posts after the game.

Split up THAT big men duo? They have the best chance to beat the Warriors and will if healthy. It's a great counter. I don't see the Rockets beating the master of that style of offense.

People don't realize what Rondo can do for this team. Take a look at what he did against the #1 seed Celtics last season.

You HAVE to go in with this core, and Rondo IS part of that core. Build with them. If you want to compete against a ridiculously stacked team that plays so well together, the Warriors, then you have do something DIFFERENT. You're NOT beating them at their own game. You think the Warriors can handle Ad AND Cousins once this team gels a lot more and gets another piece or two?

Remember the fight the Grizzles gave the Warriors and Spurs the last few years? The Grizzles were never even at full health those years they lost, at least a couple of those seasons. Exceptional big men + good/great guards is nothing to look past.

This board is something. It was bad enough the media/others were talking about Cousins leaving and being traded by next year, now the posters here are talking about it.
    Last edited by Hornet Blood; 12-03-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    As much as Boogie frustrates me... Not looking to trade him at all.

The Franchise
    I think the season would really have to fall apart and even then I think cousins stays. We aren't far off just a few backups and a little better coaching from being top 3.

As much as people like Nelson, I'd like to upgrade him, get a backup SF, and a backup PF. I think Miller should be starting and Moore backing up Jrue.

I'd move Clark, Allen, Diallo, and Ajinca. I think between them we should get a little something just have to wait till Dec 15th. Love for teams to start selling soon but records are so bunched up.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The thing that gets me is the automatic assumption that Cousins won't re-sign here if AD is out for a while. I mean, it's no guarantee, but who is to say he doesn't pull a LeBron or D-Wade? Sign a shorter term max deal and see what the team can do for him with more time?

No one really knows. I don't mind entertaining a worst case scenario, but to act like that's the most likely scenario and not acknowledge you're going off your own fear/instinct/whatever is annoying as hell.

I will trade Boogie to the Bucks, but only for the Greek Freak.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I will trade Boogie to the Bucks, but only for the Greek Freak.
    That's about the only deal I'd take too.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I actually don't think the Bucks would do it either. Boogie doesn't fit with their defensive scheme at all and his offense seems to be what Kidd is trying to move them away from. Middleton is apparently incredibly underrated with the responses on here and his contract is a steal while Brogdon is a great role player for them who thinks the game at a level that's rare for someone of his experience. I'm not necessarily saying I would say yes from our perspective either, but Milwaukee has those two locked up for a while and they'd definitely be skeptical of getting Boogie to sign after this season.
    Yeah after I posted the offer I thought about that. I think Jordan is a better fit for them. They already have high usage guys like Giannis and Bledsoe as well.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Why do people want to move Boogie? He is a star. Landing a star isn't easy, landing a second is even harder. Trading a star player for a player who isn't a star is stupid.
    Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Bless you sir, bless you.

...we get to go McDonalds
    It may not be up to the Pelicans. If Boogie doesn't re-sign by trade deadline, the Pelicans aren't in position to roll the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    It may not be up to the Pelicans. If Boogie doesn't re-sign by trade deadline, the Pelicans aren't in position to roll the dice.
    He can't resign mid-season. So we're waiting till the offseason no matter what.

That's not how this works.

Get a permanent marker, and write the following sentence on your computer screen in big letters:

YOU DO NOT TRADE A SUPERSTAR PLAYER FOR LESSOR PIECES

I am not sure what is so hard to understand about this. Has any team traded a superstar player (that was in their prime) and come out better for it? I suppose you could count the Celtics trading KG, Pierce, etc. to the Nets for that boat load of picks, but I can't think of a single time it has worked for both teams.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    He can't resign mid-season. So we're waiting till the offseason no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's not how this works.
    A. Good to know.

B. The point is still that if you don't have assurances, then I'm not sure Pelicans can roll the dice.

Banned
    Keep DC
    Trade AD

A. Good to know.

B. The point is still that if you don't have assurances, then I'm not sure Pelicans can roll the dice.
    I don't think B is valid because Dell knew his contract situation when he traded for him. Just trading for him at all was rolling the dice. Dell rolled the dice with the hope that we play well enough to make the playoffs and that making the playoffs will be enough for him to want to resign. But we have to wait until the end of the season to see how it all plays out. Trading him just before the deadline when we are in the hunt for a playoff spot would be a bad idea considering the deals that reeled in players like George and Butler last off season. You have to think we wouldn't get any more than a couple of decent players at best but certainly no stars on Cousins' level in terms of talent. I think you will see Dell and Gentry are now tied to the hip with Cousins. They are all in on Boogie and will ride him as far as they can. If he chooses not to sign in the off-season after a playoff run, well, you knew that could happen when you made the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Keep DC
    Trade AD
    I am starting to think you have a split personality. Or maybe there are two different people using this account. One makes game threads and seems mostly rational and grounded. The other makes posts like this.

Or did you just forget to take your meds today? LOL

Edited to add:
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 12-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I am starting to think you have a split personality. Or maybe there are two different people using this account. One makes game threads and seems mostly rational and grounded. The other makes posts like this.

Or did you just forget to take your meds today? LOL

Edited to add:
    He is aiming for higher and higher levels of troll-dom.

Thread Information