Pelicans Report

Thread: Dell Demps & Benson's work relationship

Dell Demps & Benson's work relationship

Has there ben any word about Benson's feelings regarding the signing of often injured Eric Gordon. It's too quiet on the home front about this situation. Gordon has essentially earned millions over the last two years without playing more than 7 games. You know Benson is steaming over this signing.

Saints fans are saying Benson is too quiet about the entire 'bounty' thing. Does signings not get Benson's ok? Was the signing done behind Benson's back?

Not sure what to make about Williams extension, but none for Demps so far. I always viewed the two as a packaged deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Saints fans are saying Benson is too quiet about the entire 'bounty' thing. Does signings not get Benson's ok? Was the signing done behind Benson's back?
    Maybe, but Benson's greatest asset is also his greatest weakness. Trusting his management team completely has gotten him this (currently bad contract) with Gordon. However if Gordon plays with little injury for the life of the contract, I take back all I said (lol).

Prior to giving Gordon that contract there was just too much being made over Gordon and his injury, his offseason comments and such for Benson to not have at least talked to his management team about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not sure what to make about Williams extension, but none for Demps so far. I always viewed the two as a packaged deal.
    I read that as Monty being a simple man that was more than happy to sign cheap for a situation he liked and Demps knowing that the cheap deal will always be on the table but if the team can out perform expectations that he can get a better deal.

I know he talked to his mangement team, but he trusted their judgement and OK'ed the signing. After how this season has played out so far, there's no return on his investment in Gordon. From the outside, it looks as if they knew he was not ready all the while long and tried to cover up what the fans was afraid of. We remember Mashburn all too well.

Well hey, we all know that if that's how it looks from the outside then that must be how it is right?

Well... in business, when trying to make money, perception is everything (PR). All I wanted to know if things are well and we don't have a Laker type thing brewing behind the scenes. I live away from home and don't hear what the home folks hear.

Well, we're fortunate enough to have people here that know people so perhaps they'll chime in and let you know all you need to know. Stay tuned.

Thanks, enjoyed civilized posts

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    there's no return on his investment in Gordon. From the outside, it looks as if they knew he was not ready all the while long and tried to cover up what the fans was afraid of.
    This is a discussion to be having in March and April, not November. If what we've been told is accurate, no structural damage and the rehab will get him over THIS injury in 4-6 weeks, then the Hornets are still in good shape to fight for a playoff spot. A healthy Gordon for this team = Playoffs. They won at a 66% rate with Gordon last season and the supporting cast is even better now so there's no reason to think that wouldn't continue.

No one is going to be complaining when he comes back and the team clicks around him... We signed him to a four year deal, no panic

Benson is very secretive and private. No one here is going to know what is going on in his mind or behind closed doors with him. We will just have to wait and see how things play out.

I for one hope Dell stays around. I think the combo of he and monty is very similar to that of Loomis and Payton.
    As for EG...... I think if he comes back and balls we'll all forget this nonsense. Now whether that happens remains to be seen.
    On the flip side if he never returns this season or returns and pushes for a trade I do think that reflects poorly on Dell...Time will tell.
    December 15th approaches.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Benson has never been a hands on owner in the near thirty years he's owned the Saints so I don't know why people would expect any different with the Hornets. Prior to his recent Christmas Day/11th Hour revelation and outpouring of philanthropy the only time he would be in the news is if he was rattling the cage of the city and state to get more money/better terms for the Saints.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Thread Information