Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pels vs Grizzlies super late game day thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Let's wait until the games actually count before jumping off the cliff. AD and Cousins each took 5 shots. . .

Anyone who watched the 1st qtr would have seen we were specifically experimenting with what we were doing. The goal was to show Memphis absolutely nothing while playing with different ideas.

We ride or die by AD and Cousins, not what our bench does in a garbage pre season game.
    Mythrol, your post makes entirely too much sense for people to believe you. Pels had ZERO interest in implementing anything, considering we see Memphis in 5 days.

Banned
    Guys its coaching. Alvin Gentry is a train wreck HC. Alvin Gentry claimed he needed JH on this ball club for his system to work. So we pay him to be a 1 then decide we need to go get a Real 1 and move JH to the 2. Again the Jrue Holiday contract will crush this team. He is not anywhere near a dominate play maker with the ball in his hands. He is a turn over waiting to happen. At the 2 guard JH doesn't process the skill set to break anyone down off the dribble. This will ultimately affect the outcome of making plays for AD or DC. JH will shoot the set shot no doubt or run off a pick. Lets just see what our huge investment does in the first 20 games then judge. Again 10-10 at the 20 game mark is where we need to be.

Holy overreaction to a meaningless game Batman!

Let me remind you all what Cousins did to them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Guys its coaching.
    I don't believe this at all. If we falter this season it's on our players. The Pelicans generated the 2nd most uncontested shots in the entire league last year. The only team that did it better? Golden State. That's coaching putting players in a position to succeed.

So what did we go out and do this summer? Hire Chris Finch away from Denver. The person who is probably considered the best big man coach in the entire world. We already have Erman who is considered one of the top defensive coaches and we had a team that ranked in the top 10 defensively last year.

Our players simply have to perform. The coaches have us in a position to win, I am fully confident of that. It's on the players to step up and capitalize on it.

Banned
    Chris Finch has won how many NBA titles as a Coach? I don’t think he is the alll end end all coach. He has very limited NBA coaching experience nothing spectacular to be honest.
    Erman is considered amongst leagues circles as the next Head Coach of a ball club that we agree on.

I don't believe this at all. If we falter this season it's on our players. The Pelicans generated the 2nd most uncontested shots in the entire league last year. The only team that did it better? Golden State. That's coaching putting players in a position to succeed.

So what did we go out and do this summer? Hire Chris Finch away from Denver. The person who is probably considered the best big man coach in the entire world. We already have Erman who is considered one of the top defensive coaches and we had a team that ranked in the top 10 defensively last year.

Our players simply have to perform. The coaches have us in a position to win, I am fully confident of that. It's on the players to step up and capitalize on it.
    Just wanted your opinion. Wouldn't it be better to have AD and DMC work from the post and run the game similar to what the Memphis than to have AD and DMC shooting 3's
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Pels vs Grizzlies super late game day thread

Chris Finch has won how many NBA titles as a Coach? I don’t think he is the alll end end all coach. He has very limited NBA coaching experience nothing spectacular to be honest.
    Erman is considered amongst leagues circles as the next Head Coach of a ball club that we agree on.
    Finch has coached 5 different teams and has won titles with 3 of them, one of the other two teams he made it to the finals and lost by 1 point. Only one team that Finch coached did not go to the finals in their respective league and he didn't even coach them for an entire season.

Get that nonsense out of here that he is "nothing spectacular". The dude is literally considered one of if not the best big man coach in the world. He was single handedly credited with the offensive scheme that Denver used last year with Jokić which propelled them to a top 10 in the entire NBA offense.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Just wanted your opinion. Wouldn't it be better to have AD and DMC work from the post and run the game similar to what the Memphis than to have AD and DMC shooting 3's
    No.

Banned
    Mythrol I said NBA
    NOT OVERSEAS. He has won Nothing in the NBA
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 10-14-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Mythrol I said NBA
    NOT OVERSEAS. He has won Nothing in the NBA
    How much has Erman won as a NBA head coach? Yet you have no problem accepting him as one of the best defensive minds in the game.

Just stop. Your argument is wrong and stupid.

Banned
    Darren won a NBA title with Doc Rivers in 2008 with the Boston Celtics.
    Mythrol you JUST STOP get your facts Right
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 10-14-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

I totally agree with this... not a doubt in my mind that the burden is on the players now...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

No.
    You mind explaining?

Banned
    The players are only as good as the Head Coach designs the team.
    If a HC wants a player to do something outside of the skill set the player is capable of then it falls on the HC period.
    This current team has Alvin Gentry all over it. Darren Erman and Chris Finch I bet would not have this current roster if they were pulling the strings.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I truly think we need to realize that we looked trash this preseason, and even tho it's just pre season outside of DMC and AD our roster is dumpster juice.... I wish Dell would have signed swaggy P... But all in all I hope we do great because a lot is riding on this season
    Swaggy P isn’t tipping the needle.

If we had some 40 point victory, would that suddenly mean our roster was stellar? I’m not worried. If the season goes down the chute, someone else will rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Swaggy P isn’t tipping the needle.

If we had some 40 point victory, would that suddenly mean our roster was stellar? I’m not worried. If the season goes down the chute, someone else will rebuild.
    He doesnt move the needle but he plays the position we need the most

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Holy overreaction to a meaningless game Batman!

Let me remind you all what Cousins did to them last year.

[video[/video]
    Yeah and the energy AD played with to start the season. Before his joy was robbed with a 1-11 start . It's going to be a different AD and Cousins when the season starts.

Guys its coaching. Alvin Gentry is a train wreck HC. Alvin Gentry claimed he needed JH on this ball club for his system to work. So we pay him to be a 1 then decide we need to go get a Real 1 and move JH to the 2. Again the Jrue Holiday contract will crush this team. He is not anywhere near a dominate play maker with the ball in his hands. He is a turn over waiting to happen. At the 2 guard JH doesn't process the skill set to break anyone down off the dribble. This will ultimately affect the outcome of making plays for AD or DC. JH will shoot the set shot no doubt or run off a pick. Lets just see what our huge investment does in the first 20 games then judge. Again 10-10 at the 20 game mark is where we need to be.
    Jrue Holiday role on this team is Scorer now. He was brought back to get buckets not create for others. Of course he's going to do it unselfishly and within the flow of the offense but his role is to score. Which I think is perfect for him, too many times Jrue would over pass by trying to be a facilitator. In a more focused role, he can be a serious threat. I can easily see Jrue giving us 20pts 4asts with excellent defense.

I think it's an unfair assessment to say Jrue can't break anyone down off the dribble when he's done it his whole career. It's actually how he got to the all star game.

Edit: Can you name 5 players at the SG position with a better handle than Jrue Holiday?
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    HP
    I watched Jrue Holiday one on one last year get schooled one on one.
    When he was playing against the Playoff Point Guards he was drilled.
    Here is just a few as follows:
    Steff Curry
    John Wall
    Isiah Thomas
    Kyrie Irving
    James Harden
    Russel Westbrook
    Jamal Crawford broke Jrue Holiday ankles with a crossover
    Goran Dragić killed him dropped 39 on him
    Damian Lillard
    So that is just a few I seen JH against last year.
    We will see this year at the 2 Guard
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 10-14-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Darren won a NBA title with Doc Rivers in 2008 with the Boston Celtics.
    Mythrol you JUST STOP get your facts Right
    Not as a HEAD Coach like you asked about with Finch. Erman has never been a head coach of any team in any league.

The Boston Celtics team that won the championship, he wasn't even their defensive coach, he was a scout and individual player skill coach.

Finch has MULTIPLE championship wins with him being the Head Coach in every league he has ever coached in. It's not even close.

HP
    I watched Jrue Holiday one on one last year get schooled one on one.
    When he was playing against the Playoff Point Guards he was drilled.
    Here is just a few as follows:
    Steff Curry
    John Wall
    Isiah Thomas
    Kyrie Irving
    James Harden
    Russel Westbrook
    Jamal Crawford broke Jrue Holiday ankles with a crossover
    Goran Dragić killed him dropped 39 on him
    Damian Lillard
    So that is just a few I seen JH against last year.
    We will see this year at the 2 Guard
    Those guys kill everybody. He held his own at time. But you're ignoring the fact that his role has changed, he's no longer responsible for getting every one involved and score 20pts and play elite defense. He just has to play his game now, which is Score and defend with the ability to make plays for others at times. That should increase his decisiveness and efficiency. Not to mention he will be playing off of AD and Cousins which should open things up alot for him to score.

You're acting like Jrue is a complete scrub. You still haven't named 5 SG's with a better handle.

Pels vs Grizzlies super late game day thread

You mind explaining?
    We don't have traditional big men so they shouldn't be limited by conventional big men tropes like operating the offense out of the post.

Combined with the fact that Cousins is actually a really good 3pt shooter and facilitator while AD can pick and pop, rim run, and crash the glass . . .its actually counter productive to take one of them and park them in the paint.

Our best move is to keep our bigs motioning around the court and forcing other, slower bigs to try and keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Those guys kill everybody. He held his own at time. But you're ignoring the fact that his role has changed, he's no longer responsible for getting every one involved and score 20pts and play elite defense. He just has to play his game now, which is Score and defend with the ability to make plays for others at times. That should increase his decisiveness and efficiency. Not to mention he will be playing off of AD and Cousins which should open things up alot for him to score.

You're acting like Jrue is a complete scrub. You still haven't named 5 SG's with a better handle.
    I don't know man.. Holiday should be held at a really high standard especially now with that salary. Holding his own isn't enough anmore. He needs to start winning some of those battle.

Banned
    Mythrol
    Darren has Never been a Head Coach in the NBA.
    Finch has Never been a Head Coach in the NBA.
    Finch has Never been part of a NBA Championship team in his short NBA Career unlike Darren Erman.
    Now HP
    Ya Boy Jrue will now be up against the pure 2 Guards in the league.
    He can't hold a candle next to these guys you ask for 5 ok.
    Here is a few off the top of my head:
    James Harden
    Klay Thompson
    Devin Booker
    CJ McCollum
    DeMar DeRozan
    Bradley Beal
    Evan Fournier
    Dion Waiters
    Andrew Wiggins.
    JH is a overpaid player trying to play the 2 Guard with a team that signed him to be a Point Guard.
    He has a history of turning the ball over and always being on the IR.
    I am only calling it as history says it is not Fake News.

** I would like to see Finch and Erman run this team.
    I hope they get a chance when they Fire Alvin Gentry.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 10-14-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I don't know man.. Holiday should be held at a really high standard especially now with that salary. Holding his own isn't enough anmore. He needs to start winning some of those battle.
    Definitely. But he needs to win those battles against SGs now. For some reason he always lacked the focus to play the lead guard but that's why Rondo is here. Imagine how effective Klay, Butler, or Beal would be if they were asked to get 8-10asts a game. But you're right man Jrue needs to ball out in his new role. He needs to at least be in discussions for top 5 SG by the end of the season or bust.

Thread Information