Pelicans Report

Thread: noel dissapoints at summer camps

noel dissapoints at summer camps

Nerlens Noel, F/C, Kentucky Wildcats Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Nerlens Noel, F/C, Kentucky Wildcats Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.

Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn't find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.

"He's got the raw abilities, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis," one scout said. "I think he's going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We're probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond's than Anthony Davis."

{Mod edit-Please do not post full articles. A few paragraphs and a link will do}

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Following directly in Davis' footsteps could doom that kid. Cuz if he doesn't have an all time season as a freshman people will consider him a failure.

And it won't even be his fault.

Soo we may actually have a chance at him !

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

did people expect more? this has always been said about him.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Nerlens... what a name huh? It would be fitting for Nerlens to play in New Orleans. I do like his old school box haircut though.

I think it means he most likely will not enter the NBA after 1 season

Quote Originally Posted by tjharris View Post
    Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.
    If Drummond went 9th in a stacked draft that still makes Noel a top 5-7 pick in a weaker draft. The kid should just shake the haters and expectations off and just go play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    If Drummond went 9th in a stacked draft that still makes Noel a top 5-7 pick in a weaker draft. The kid should just shake the haters and expectations off and just go play ball.
    Exactly. Unless he gets hurt, it would be extremely difficult to play worse than Drummond, who was dreadful, and still a lottery pick.

If anything, how Barnes and Sullinger went from being surefire top 5 picks in the draft to slipping, there's even more incentive for players to leave while the iron's hot.

And they both came out polished as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Exactly. Unless he gets hurt, it would be extremely difficult to play worse than Drummond, who was dreadful, and still a lottery pick.
    Drummond was drafted that high because of his incredible size and athleticism, I don't think nerlins has near the build. With that being said, if he does perform decent he could be selected in that same spot.

The Franchise    Contributor   

do they say who did look good?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    Going to be a lot of mentions through out the year of this guy for me but Steven Adams played well/solid - has a lot to work on though.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I wish we were bad enough to get Polythress but we probably we won't. So cheers!

The phrase New Orleans' Nerlens Noel would be pretty awesome though

Lets go ahead and try for Shabazz
    Ballin

doesn't surprise me at all

Try for Zeller over Bazz.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsguy510 View Post
    Try for Zeller over Bazz.
    id be fine with that if we were a top 5 draft pick team, but we arent going to be

How firm did Noel's fade look? I have a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    Isaiah Austin F/C, Baylor "better prospect Perry Jones or Quincy Miller
    Steven Adams PF, Pitt "still very raw and needs to improve his feel for the game, but all of them said they felt he had the physical tools to still be an NBA lottery pick someday"

returning collegians

Tony Mitchell
    Otto Porter
    Gorgui Dieng
    Mason Plumlee
    Ray McCallum
    Deshaun Thomas
    Isaiah Canaan

all looked good

Big Blue Nation to NOLA UKbluein850's Avatar
    This assessment has caused quite a stir for us UK fans, but the local media was quick to dismiss it. No one is really super worried about it, plus he will be quick to develop under Cal. At this time last year, no one thought Anthony Davis would go #1. He was really solid out of HS, but he really developed well and quieted the critics by January.
    Last edited by UKbluein850; 08-16-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: I can't spell
    You can take a man outta Kentucky...but you can't take the Kentucky outta a man!

Brandon Knight had similar reviews when following in the footsteps of John Wall. It took the whole season for Knight to come around but he was able to silent critics come tournament time. Not playing too bad for Pistons either.

Quote Originally Posted by UKbluein850 View Post
    This assessment has caused quite a stir for us UK fans, but the local media was quick to dismiss it. No one is really super worried about it, plus he will be quick to develop under Cal. At this time last year, no one thought Anthony Davis would go #1. He was really solid out of HS, but he really developed well and quieted the critics by January.
    Unless you mean he wasn't a consensus pick, sure, but he was definitely thought of as the #1 draft prospect before he ever stepped on the court at UK.

To be honest, Knight wasn't that good for the Pistons last season. But he's still young with upside.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information