Pelicans Report

Thread: Farewell Dante! Pelicans Trade Cunningham to Brooklyn for Rashad Vaughn

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar

Breaking News Farewell Dante! Pelicans Trade Cunningham to Brooklyn for Rashad Vaughn

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...nningha_1.html

What an exciting trade deadline for us huh? At least Diallo will get more minutes now.

The Mirotic trade was a positive trade. Just because it did not occur on the deadline does not discount it.

Highlight for me is Asik and Cunningham gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy we got a young wing in return that still has potential. No Vaughn is not likely to ever be a stud player but he could hold value as a solid bench player. He's only 21 years old and was just recently a top 20 pick and would have likely been a top 10 pick if he had not been coming off a meniscus tear. Kid has the potential to be a very good scoring guard with a knockdown jumper. Some guys need time to develop. He should see more minutes here which is exciting. Everybody always complains that we have no young players on good contract.. well this kid could have very well been one of our draft picks just a couple of years ago. You never know when a player will explode on the scene. Much more exciting to have this kid and possibly develop him as oppose to Dante who is only going to regress.

I’m so happy. How can I ever say another bad thing about Dell now? Lol.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I'm happy we got a young wing in return that still has potential. No Vaughn is not likely to ever be a stud player but he could hold value as a solid bench player. He's only 21 years old and was just recently a top 20 pick and would have likely been a top 10 pick if he had not been coming off a meniscus tear. Kid has the potential to be a very good scoring guard with a knockdown jumper. Some guys need time to develop. He should see more minutes here which is exciting. Everybody always complains that we have no young players on good contract.. well this kid could have very well been one of our draft picks just a couple of years ago. You never know when a player will explode on the scene. Much more exciting to have this kid and possibly develop him as oppose to Dante who is only going to regress.
    It's not certain that he even stays. There is some talk that he could be waived.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It's not certain that he even stays. There is some talk that he could be waived.
    Yeah, I doubt he ever sees the floor as a Pelican. The move was less about acquiring Vaughn, and more about moving Cunningham and creating a little more room for buyout candidates.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As of now he's a Pelicans so I expect him to be here until he's not. I would like to keep him but I would also like a guard that can contribute now.

Looking and feeling more like the stopgap teams of Pelicans injury plagued past. Getting Boogie was the only thing that kept me from utter despair, resigning him is the only thing that will give me hope now. Can we see Frank Jackson play yet????

Also, does this mean Solo is coming back soonish?

I've heard Mardi Gras return for solo is reasonable. I hope he contributes from his first game.

This season was never THE season. And when Boogie went down it became even less of THE season. We got rid of an awful contract and added a guy in Mirotic that might help in the long run. Resign Boogie and we'll still be on track for what the plan was. Maybe get a little playoff exp, build continuity, and let the young guys play. That is the focus. The win was not giving up the future to try to better our odds this season. People complain a lot about Dell bit he didn't throw our franchise under the bus to try to keep his job.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I still think Dell has something in the works or a plan once the buy-outs happen. I can't see us going forward being this thin on the frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Highlight for me is Asik and Cunningham gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know right! I’m more excited about Asik leaving and somehow getting Mirotic in the process!

That has to be one of the worse re-signings (Asik) in professional sports history when you consider the return on investment.
    I still can't believe we even traded for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I know right! I’m more excited about Asik leaving and somehow getting Mirotic in the process!

You forgot to add new HC and GM to your plan because believe me we are not going anywhere and that includes even an
    8th seed under this regime.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    This season was never THE season. And when Boogie went down it became even less of THE season. We got rid of an awful contract and added a guy in Mirotic that might help in the long run. Resign Boogie and we'll still be on track for what the plan was. Maybe get a little playoff exp, build continuity, and let the young guys play. That is the focus. The win was not giving up the future to try to better our odds this season. People complain a lot about Dell bit he didn't throw our franchise under the bus to try to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    That has to be one of the worse re-signings (Asik) in professional sports history when you consider the return on investment.
    There's been plenty worse than the initial signing. Plus AD didn't want to play the 5 (still doesn't) and Asik was playing really well back 3 or 4 years ago.

People were legit saying AD, Ryno and Asik was in the best big men rotations in the league

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Nah, a few months back RealGM did a worst contracts in NBA as voted on and Asik didn't even hit the NBA top 10.

Contracts like Parsons blows it out of the water. Heck in 1 more year Asik's contract is considered gold because of its structure.

Given our circumstances at the time, including AD's very specific refusal to want to play center, Asik coming off arguably his best year ever, and no one realizing that the league was going to have a monumental shift away from traditional bigs to the point they don't even get played at all hardly (everyone though you still needed a big for Gasol Bros, DeAndre, Adam's, Dwight, etc)... While the contract was bad it's nowhere near one of the worst ever.

Heck Ryan Anderson's current contract in Houston is multiple times worse.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Nah, a few months back RealGM did a worst contracts in NBA as voted on and Asik didn't even hit the NBA top 10.

Contracts like Parsons blows it out of the water. Heck in 1 more year Asik's contract is considered gold because of its structure.

Given our circumstances at the time, including AD's very specific refusal to want to play center, Asik coming off arguably his best year ever, and no one realizing that the league was going to have a monumental shift away from traditional bigs to the point they don't even get played at all hardly (everyone though you still needed a big for Gasol Bros, DeAndre, Adam's, Dwight, etc)... While the contract was bad it's nowhere near one of the worst ever.

This sums up the Asik situation perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Bingo bango

Thread Information