Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Updates

Training Camp Updates

Hey. Didn't see a thread on this. There have been a few tidbits from today. We could try to keep them all in here if the mods want.

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Anthony Davis on camp: "I need this 3-week stretch. Everyone does. We have a lot of new faces, young guys.We need this time to be NBA-ready"

Monty, joking about developing young players: "They're like your kids. Some days you're excited about them. Some days you want to eat them."

Monty on young players: "But you've got to be committed to them. There will be ups and downs. But this is a team this city can commit to."

John Reid ‏@JohnReidTP
    Hornets' Anthony Davis and Xavier Henry last to leave after second practice session tonight, working on their shooting.

John Reid ‏@JohnReidTP
    New Orleans Hornets rookie Anthony Davis already sees benefit of having Ryan Anderson on roster | http://NOLA.com http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ie_ant_11.html

Ryan Anderson ‏@ryananderson33
    Just finished day 1! Great day of work today!!! We have a really smart and talented group. Everyday we have to get better and take care of our bodies. This ice tube is slowly becoming my new best friend!

John Reid ‏@JohnReidTP
    Hornets' Anthony. Davis: ``Great first day, we went over a couple of sets and focused on defense a lot.''

Hopefully, Henry can hit that 3-pointer with regularity. I think if he can do it, he'll earn the starting spot.

Monty, joking about developing young players: "They're like your kids. Some days you're excited about them. Some days you want to eat them."
    lol gotta love monty

Will they have the scrimmage in front of fans this year? If so, when?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    lol gotta love monty
    I can definitely see why his guys love to play for him. Great, genuine passion for the game and his players.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Hopefully, Henry can hit that 3-pointer with regularity. I think if he can do it, he'll earn the starting spot.
    I truly believe its all about feel, comfort, and confidence with him....this is a perfect opportunity for him to step up...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Will they have the scrimmage in front of fans this year? If so, when?
    @nuddie_piper @currysmith Yes, there will be an open practice in the N.O. Arena. The date is TBA. It's usually middle-ish October
    I'm sure once someone knows the official date and time, it will be posted here.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yes! Can't wait. If I had to pick a date, I'd say 20th.

Awesome job!!

Partly to help get rookies accustomed to faster NBA game (24 seconds, 8-second violation), Hornets scrimmaged using 14-second shot clock

Austin Rivers on training camp: "We want to play a fast-paced tempo, but not sloppy. Each day we'll get better at that."

E.Gordon on Warrick: "I think he’s going to play a bigger role than what people would think.We definitely need him doing what he does best."

Hornets career games: Warrick 498, Mason 424, Anderson 254, Smith 249, Lopez 242, Gordon 205, Aminu 147, Vasquez 136, Henry 83, Thomas 42

League data comes in around Opening Night, but Hornets are one of NBA's youngest teams. Anderson is only 24 yet third-most experienced guy

R.Mason on A.Davis: "It was a pleasant surprise to see that he’s like a sponge. You can tell he wants to get better and wants to be great."

It's so funny that I keep thinking of Anderson like the wily veteran, but I'M OLDER THAN HIM.

Of course, this will only get worse as I get older and older.

Monty Williams

http://video-embed.nola.com/services...EsITNwjG28SO_r

New Orleans Hornets rookie Austin Rivers getting plenty of work at shooting guard with Eric Gordon sitting out

With New Orleans Hornets shooting guard Eric Gordon sitting out practice for the second consecutive day with a sore right knee, New Orleans Hornets rookie Austin Rivers is getting substantial work at his spot.

During the Hornets’ closed scrimmage Wednesday morning at the Alario Center, Rivers played mostly at shooting guard while Greivis Vasquez and Brian Roberts alternated at point guard, Coach Monty Williams said.

When Gordon returns, the Hornets are likely to go back to their initial plans that involves Rivers playing more at point guard than shooting guard. But Rivers could go into Sunday's preseason opener in Mexico City against the Orlando Magic as the starting shooting guard. However, Williams said he won't name his starters until this weekend. Sunday's game will be televised live on NBA-TV at 1:30 p.m.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...kie_aus_2.html

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    To build on another thread, if that happens (or even if it doesn't) and Lopez starts at 5, will we have one heck of an overpaid 6th man in Anderson?
    Wherehappens.

I missed last year scrimmage. Hopefully I'm off on that day I'll fly home to watch it if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    To build on another thread, if that happens (or even if it doesn't) and Lopez starts at 5, will we have one heck of an overpaid 6th man in Anderson?
    Anderson is underpaid. If Xavier plays more minutes than Anderson, we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Monty Williams

http://video-embed.nola.com/services...EsITNwjG28SO_r

New Orleans Hornets rookie Austin Rivers getting plenty of work at shooting guard with Eric Gordon sitting out

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...kie_aus_2.html
    hell yeh got 50 bucks austin drops 20 points and 5 assists
    Ballin

Monty Williams is the best

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    Anderson is underpaid. If Xavier plays more minutes than Anderson, we have a problem.
    Yeah true enough I guess that was an exaggeration. I just meant that he didn't come here to be a bench player.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Some good information from training camp.

In the video, Monty is clearly referring to Aminu about the "killer instinct" lack in this soft drake music Superfriends generation. I love this coach man, I truly hope this season he stays on Aminu and squeeze the beast out of him. Times are too soft now.....
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's so funny that I keep thinking of Anderson like the wily veteran, but I'M OLDER THAN HIM.

Welcome to the club, we have jackets.

Kurt Thomas and Grant Hill are the only players left in the league who are older than me. Anthony Davis is less than 1/2 of my age. Talk about feeling like a fossil.
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 10-05-2012 at 07:20 AM.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

LOL funny group we got, except Gordon, he better prepare his knee
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

I am 31, and Roger Mason is the only Hornet older than me. And it's only by 3 months

Imagine how awful it is for 42? He's gotta be at least that old. Oh well. I'm still in my prime!

Yes! Can't wait. If I had to pick a date, I'd say 20th.
    Correct!

Thread Information