Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread Part II

I don't understand... What is generic about Vodoo or Krewe or Brass? I mean, they all 3 mean something to the city, so I don't see how it could be considered "generic."

Of course though, we could always go with the New Orleans Generals ...or is that native to Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    I would want either Voodoo or Knights. I wouldn't mind Brass.

We've been spinning our wheels on this for what, a month or two and really haven't gotten a true consensus. While Brass and Krewe have the most supporters, I don't think either one INDIVIDUALLY has a majority among us. VooDoo and Jazz have lots of supporters as well but neither name is logistically realistic right now.
    It's pretty obvious two names have a clear majority right now. There will always be stragglers and outliers. You know, some people like to wear lime green seersucker suits or pink striped shirts with purple pants. But, there is one that continuously comes out on top, a close second, then just...stuff... in these name polls so far.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's pretty obvious two names have a clear majority right now. There will always be stragglers and outliers. You know, some people like to wear lime green seersucker suits or pink striped shirts with purple pants. But, there is one that continuously comes out on top, a close second, then just...stuff... in these name polls so far.
    You misunderstood me. As a group, Brass and Krewe are a clear majority. But INDIVIDUALLY, I'd say it's around a 40/40 split between the two with the "stragglers" making up the remaining 20.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think there is a majority group where over half strongly want the name.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    You misunderstood me. As a group, Brass and Krewe are a clear majority. But INDIVIDUALLY, I'd say it's around a 40/40 split between the two with the "stragglers" making up the remaining 20.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think there is a majority group where over half strongly want the name.
    In a name poll where anybody and everybody can vote, and choices range from 3 to 5, rarely will you see one choice cross over 50 in a place like this. This ain't Utah.

It's pretty obvious even in that environment, two names are the clear majority that everybody wants.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    In a name poll where anybody and everybody can vote, and choices range from 3 to 5, rarely will you see one choice cross over 50 in a place like this. This ain't Utah.

It's pretty obvious even in that environment, two names are the clear majority that everybody wants.
    Here's what I'm getting at though...you can't assume that the 40% or so who like Brass necessarily like Krewe, and vice-versa.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    We need some more birds! The New Orleans Nighthawks. The New Orleans Kingbirds. The New Orleans Night Herons.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Banned
    ducks or teal would be good

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Blowfish.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

SO NO LOVE FOR THER NEW ORLEANS CYPRESS??? Okay
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

From a very scientific poll taken at a party....Dukes was far away the winner. I didn't even hear of that idea until today and the more I hear it, the more I like it. Easily tied to the city and the artwork could be awesome. Saints worked just as Dukes could work.

I'm fond of Navigators.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    You want the VooDoo, I LOVE the VooDoo! But I'm not in favor of ripping it from an already local team no matter how horrible they are just to satisfy the cravings of a few who deem them unworthy to represent it! That owner paid his money to Benson for it and unless he's willing to deal it back, like the Jazz, the VooDoo ship has sailed with it!
    Will anyone lose sleep over the AFL team getting renamed? Honestly? Trust me, if Benson and the advertising firm he hired agreed to the name VooDoo, they would get it easily.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseNoKrewe View Post
    From a very scientific poll taken at a party....Dukes was far away the winner. I didn't even hear of that idea until today and the more I hear it, the more I like it. Easily tied to the city and the artwork could be awesome. Saints worked just as Dukes could work.
    Good work.

New Orleans Dukes...

Need to create a new poll, the new new new poll.

Hall of Famer
    Newbie alert.

I really like the name Knights, and I plan to enter the ESPN contest, so I'm trying to get some feedback on my designs. I'll have them up soon, the logo is a tweaked version of the ArcAngels logo.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Newbie alert.

I really like the name Knights, and I plan to enter the ESPN contest, so I'm trying to get some feedback on my designs. I'll have them up soon, the logo is a tweaked version of the ArcAngels logo.
    you sure sound experienced to me when you post like that..
    nobody listens to me, but I am a Knights advocate too...from the way it sounds, to its various tie-ins with the city...I also enjoy the fun relationship we can have between Knight and night...
    Last edited by ramsters60; 04-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I could get one board with Knights or Dukes. Those aren't as cryptic as some other suggestions, even though Dukes makes me think of JMU.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    I could get one board with Knights or Dukes. Those aren't as cryptic as some other suggestions, even though Dukes makes me think of JMU.
    That's because you live in Virginia

Dukes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    That's because you live in Virginia

Dukes!!!
    Actually in the Valley, only a few miles from JMU. I went to Lynchburg College whose mascot is, ironically, the Hornets.

Hall of Famer
    Dukes is cool, some nice color ideas can come from that one. Navy Blue/Creole Blue/Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Newbie alert.

sounds good, PM me them when your finished

My pick would be the New Orleans Flambeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by nativerhythms View Post
    My pick would be the New Orleans Flambeaux.
    Good choice.

New Orleans Flambeaux

I like the Knights!

I'm making the official spelling Arcangels. I think it looks better than Arc Angels or ArcAngels. Lipstick on a pig?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Rant Thoughts on name change and such

I just DO NOT like the ArcAngels, Knights, Sinners...it seems that some people are getting to over zealous about names because they came up with it. This shouldnt be a personal thing and why should we have regional empathy to pick a name. This team is in New Orleans...do you actually think that if this team were on the MS Gulf Coast they would say well lets name it something that represents the whole region...OF COURSE NOT. VOODOO & JAZZ...will NEVER HAPPEN we need to get that out our heads. We have a chance to help come up with something that could last a long time. Some concepts sound good because they have been done already and there is a fan base...Do you think that the HEAT sounded good at first for an expansion team in MIAMI....I dont want this to be a BOBCAT thing ...lets face it that name sucks and has nothing to do with the city....anyway thats my thoughts

Thread Information