Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 DRAFT

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    **** no he going be a SF
    Hes only 6'6 and I think he will do both. He would be our sixth man and a good one at that. He can just come in for whoever is tired.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post
    Hes only 6'6 and I think he will do both. He would be our sixth man and a good one at that. He can just come in for whoever is tired.
    It depends on how high we draft him.
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Makes no sense to trade up to #2 just to draft a backup...

You take Noel, hands down. Him and Davis would rule the world.

Also, don't sleep on the kid from England... Steven Adams. But Alex Len could improve with another solid year playing in America. I don't think we're in the lottery again... but that's just me.
    Noel would be a backup too! and we shouldnt waste our pick on a big he wouldnt get playing time. And we would trade up bc we dont need a lot of players just a good one. Harden was drafted top 5 and he comes off the bench. Bazz would fit perfect and i havmt heard of the other two actually.

It depends on how high we draft him.
    No bc he wouldnt play over Aminu (mabey eventually but i would rather him as a sixth man with starter minutes) or Gordon and once Rivers take over if we had a great sixth man like him we would be set. Next year we wont be a rebuilding team anymore.

No bc he wouldnt play over Aminu (mabey eventually but i would rather him as a sixth man with starter minutes) or Gordon and once Rivers take over if we had a great sixth man like him we would be set. Next year we wont be a rebuilding team anymore.
    How about this, it depends on well he does in college and his potential

How about this, it depends on well he does in college and his potential
    haha yea sure if hes better than Aminu start him haha

Whatever happen to the overseas guy we traded for? Or we going to stash him over there for a couple of years, or did we cut him?

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    Whatever happen to the overseas guy we traded for? Or we going to stash him over there for a couple of years, or did we cut him?
    I think it was just a salary dump. I dont think he will ever play for us but maybe he will. Do you remember his name?

I wouldn't get my hopes up for either Noel or Muhammed, unless we only win a handful of games. Teams that draft in the back of the lottery or in the middle of the first round never are able to move up to top three in the draft. The only way it happens is if you trade your first round pick and a good player to move up. Like when Seattle traded Ray Allen and the 35th pick(Glen Davis) to the Celtics in 07 to get the 5th pick which turned into Jeff Green. We would have to trade Anderson or Gordon and our 1st round pick in the draft to get that high. I for one do not want to trade either of them for someone that has never played an NBA game. Unless by draft time they are in Anthony Davis's league, which is highly unlikely cause players like him only come around once or twice a decade. Then if one of them are that, they wouldn't trade away the chance to draft him.

I dont think we would have to trade away Anderson or Gordon and if we did we would certainly keep our own draft pick too. I think we could trade our first, a couple future seconds and a future protected first (probably top 5) and easily get in the top 5. We could even throw in Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Makes no sense to trade up to #2 just to draft a backup...

You take Noel, hands down. Him and Davis would rule the world.

Also, don't sleep on the kid from England... Steven Adams. But Alex Len could improve with another solid year playing in America. I don't think we're in the lottery again... but that's just me.
    Steven Adams is definetly not english i'd have heard more about him...pretty sure hes from New Zealand; Still i here what your saying the guys got great back to basket fundamentals and all-around basketball nous

We dont have a second round pick next year? We only traded the Net's and Timberwolve's. And we have future ones in deeper drafts. If Dell wants to he can easily get in the high lottery.
    We traded our second for Xavier and gave the Nets pick back to the Wolves.

Regardless, unless you're trading a future first you're not going to be moving up much. Second round picks are pretty much worthless in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    Edin Bavcic.

We didn't cut him because he wasn't under contract, we only hold his rights. I doubt we'll ever see him, he's 28.

Bazz because he we have too many bigs and bazz would be a perfect backup for gordon
    We have two starters at PF and two backup Centers. If Nerlens was drafted by us he would play the 5 and Davis would stay at the 4. That would be the best young front court in the league. The length, athleticism, and shot blocking would be unreal. We'll see how they both do but Nerlens seems like the obvious choice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    We have two starters at PF and two backup Centers. If Nerlens was drafted by us he would play the 5 and Davis would stay at the 4. That would be the best young front court in the league. The length, athleticism, and shot blocking would be unreal. We'll see how they both do but Nerlens seems like the obvious choice to me.
    How? We honestly wouldnt have time for him. If we could choose either noel or muhammed i would be mad if we chose noel and didnt trade him. we have davis smith anderson lopez thomas and only Al farouq, gordon, and miller and 2 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Small Forward is actually pretty loaded in the late lottery..

DraftExpress has about 4 players that will play SF in the NBA from #7 - #14.

Alex Poythress is my number 1 SF prospect. He's 6'8, 210lbs, with a 7'0 wingspan and is very aggressive and athletic. He's going to be heading to UK after being ranked the #13 prospect in the country. Reminds me of MKG/Moe Harkless a little.. might be a bit bigger but not quiet as fluid as Harkless but skillset wise this seems to be a good comparison from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOy6KzL-t0w

Also, Tony Mitchell from North Texas will be very interesting to see. As a freshman, he averaged 14.7 points, 10.3 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks per game. He shot 56.7% from the field, 43.9% from 3, and 73.9% from the FT line with a PER of 29.6. He's 6'7, 215lbs, with a 7'2 wingspan. There's not much footage on him but I was able to find this impressive video from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9no-OW5UE

As for centers, there's nobody I really love besides Cody Zeller or Rudy Gobert who we won't have a shot at.. don't see any of these guys being any better than Robin Lopez honestly and wouldn't be worth the pick. SF should definitely be our target this year; there's some good ones.
    Who would you rather? I think Mitchell sounds good bc of his 3 point AND blocks.

Ok i officially retract my answer i would rather Nerlins Noel ONLY if its true that the last two years of Lopez's deal are non guaranteed

BPA!

If Henry doesn't develop we need a SG
    If Aminu doesn't develop we need a SF
    If Rivers doesn't develop we need a PG and we will become our back up SG
    If the Lopez contract is non guaranteed we need a C

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    Edin Bavcic.

We didn't cut him because he wasn't under contract, we only hold his rights. I doubt we'll ever see him, he's 28.
    Does he go against the 2012/13 salaries?
    We might as well use him if he does as our 3rd option at C, rather then spending money on a D-Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Does he go against the 2012/13 salaries?
    We might as well use him if he does as our 3rd option at C, rather then spending money on a D-Leaguer
    He doesn't have a contract with us at all. We just have the exclusive rights to give him one if we so desired, which we don't.

Ok i officially retract my answer i would rather Nerlins Noel ONLY if its true that the last two years of Lopez's deal are non guaranteed
    Lopez should never be your reason not to draft someone. Always draft BPA in the sport of Basketball.

Looking at the draft, we would need to be around the top 7 to get a quality starter right off the bat. The next draft is a lot more top heavy than this year's, with more potential stars but less depth of surefire quality players. Anyone who would take Shabazz over Nerlens (By the way, greatest names ever), is patently insane. We have a potential lockdown defender and above average rebounder at the 3 in AFA but have no potential savior at the center position (Anderson is a perfect 6th man and Davis' potential would be limited at the 5). Davis and Nerlens would be the best young frontcourt since..... well they would have no precedent (except maybe Olajuwon and Sampson before Sampson got hurt), they would have the potential to be the greatest frontcourt ever (potenial is an important part of that statement). I'm going out on a limb and saying we won't get the chance to draft Nerlens however, so my next favorite prospect is Steve Adams. He is a phenomenal player (look him up, please) with a great personality and would fit in great with this team.

Disclaimer: this thread is far too early and everything that I and anyone else says will probably dramatically change by the time any of this matters.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by London Bee View Post
    Steven Adams is definetly not english i'd have heard more about him...pretty sure hes from New Zealand; Still i here what your saying the guys got great back to basket fundamentals and all-around basketball nous

Thank you!!

If we are drafting 8 through 14 I would take a very serious look at Adams, he has potential to be a more athletic Bogut. He is a work in progress but has come a long way for someone who picked up basketball late, great defensively and has a nice offensive tough. His offensive game needs to come a long still but the basics are there.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    Thank you!!

If we are drafting 8 through 14 I would take a very serious look at Adams, he has potential to be a more athletic Bogut. He is a work in progress but has come a long way for someone who picked up basketball late, great defensively and has a nice offensive tough. His offensive game needs to come a long still but the basics are there.
    Where are you, and everyone else, getting this idea? We have Gordon and Davis. That's it. A great project at PG (Rivers). A serviceable backup, who will start (Vasquez). Aminu and Miller at the 3. Lopez and Smith at the 5. This is a rebuilding year, we won't make the playoffs. We will be in the lottery.

I dont think we would have to trade away Anderson or Gordon and if we did we would certainly keep our own draft pick too. I think we could trade our first, a couple future seconds and a future protected first (probably top 5) and easily get in the top 5. We could even throw in Xavier.
    Easily? I looked at every draft since 1990 and there wasn't a single time that someone moved into the top 5 unless they traded a known NBA players with picks, swapped picks like the Webber/Penny trade and that was just moving like two spots, a trade made years earlier, or giving up two first round picks in the same draft(which we don't have as of now). It just doesn't happen as often as you might think, well it doesn't really. I wouldn't count Xavier Henry as a player that any team would want to aquire by giving up a top 5 pick. If you were a team picking in the top 5, would you give it up for say pick 15, two 2nd round picks, and a future 1st rounder that will not be a top 5 pick. I know I wouldn't make that trade unless I was a perennial contender(but not really cause I could use a top 5 player) or have another 1st round pick or knew that next years draft was better(how would I even know that for sure), and knew my job as GM was really, really, really safe. Come to think of it, I wouldn't do it unless I'm getting a decent starter and the 15 pick or two 1st rounders in the same draft or I'm not really that high on someone when I'm on the clock.

I mean look at this year. If the rumors were true Boston was wanting to trade both their 1st round picks to draft Austin Rivers, but no one took it. He was a top ten pick, much less a top 5 pick.
    Last edited by RekesNotWeak; 08-01-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Thread Information