Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Small move before Wed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    I think a lot are only looking at numbers here and not the entire picture. We need to think about player development, mental progression, and lets not forget fan involvement. We don't want to just tank this year. We don't want to just say its a rebuilding year and lets cash it in. You always take the win. We are a very young team, and going 12 -72 could destroy our young team's confidence. We need to breed the culture of winning. We cannot afford to waste a year. Building a culture takes a very very long time.

Because we are a young team, we need to run. Calderon excels at the lob pass. I think Calderon would be a much needed boost to the team. Imagine all of the alley-opps to AD23 and the chief this year?
    Exactly. At the rate we are turning the ball over currently, how are Davis and Co. going to progress if we never have the ball?

Think of GV to Calderon as an extra 200-400 possessions/shots for the Hornets throughout the year, not so much in terms of wins and losses
    @mcnamara247

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    so this is a chance of happening?

Technically everything has a CHANCE of happening

Look- most of you now know what I know. Dell has been exploring several smaller moves that would impact this season but not seasons beyond. I know he has inquired about several backup wing players and has proposed one trade that would land us a starter on an expiring contract.

From the proposal I know he made (and was rejected by the other team), it seems to me that he is trying to swindle someone but if they don't bite, he is content with what he has going into the year.

So, basically, by tomorrow night Dell will have either pulled off a trade that makes us all say, "Wait, why would the other team do that?" or we will go to war with the guys we got as Dell continues to survey the landscape for a no brainer type of deal

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    ... it seems to me that he is trying to swindle someone but if they don't bite, he is content with what he has going into the year.
    That can probably be said of every GM in the NBA. Does not sound like a very likelihood of anything happening based on that.

Because we are a young team, we need to run. Calderon excels at the lob pass. I think Calderon would be a much needed boost to the team. Imagine all of the alley-opps to AD23 and the chief this year?
    Monty is not a big fan of fast paced offense (especially with a young turnover prone team). He tends to like to reduce possessions and play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Monty is not a big fan of fast paced offense (especially with a young turnover prone team). He tends to like to reduce possessions and play defense.
    Yes I know, one of his biggest downfalls IMO.

A true coach/leader learns and adapts. They do not stick to the my way or the high way train of thought, unless of course that way is backed with years of proven success, which Monty does not have at this time.

I hope that our coach realizes, that even the greatest defense of all time still allowed 83.4 PPG. We will be nowhere near the greatest defense of all time, so it stands to reason we will give up at least 92 per game. We need to play to our strengths, which is youth - speed and athleticism. Do not bog us down in a half court set, we will need all the easy baskets we can get.

aslong as we end up with Jrue or CP3 next season i'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    FALSE with capital F. He has repeatedly preached pushing the pace with the more athletic team this year. You can even see Greivis trying his best to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    aslong as we end up with Jrue or CP3 next season i'm happy
    CP, Lawson, Jennings, Jrue .... color me thoroughly pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    FALSE with capital F. He has repeatedly preached pushing the pace with the more athletic team this year. You can even see Greivis trying his best to do it.
    Look at his track record. He is a defensive coach who slows the pace. We will see if he adapts this year, but that has been his M.O.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He wants to run after getting turnovers. But his offense is a bit slower paced. So we need someone that can do both. Vasquez excells at running half court sets. But running out on the break and he looks out of his element.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Unless we are making a hard push for the playoffs I don't understand sending out a longterm sixth man in Vasquez for a one year rental, and Calderon isn't the difference between us and the post season.

I think a lot are only looking at numbers here and not the entire picture. We need to think about player development, mental progression, and lets not forget fan involvement. We don't want to just tank this year. We don't want to just say its a rebuilding year and lets cash it in. You always take the win. We are a very young team, and going 12 -72 could destroy our young team's confidence. We need to breed the culture of winning. We cannot afford to waste a year. Building a culture takes a very very long time.

That's the thing though. We're NOt tanking this year but not taking a guy like Calderon. We're letting young guys develop, but it's not trading everyone off to get a worse record. Why not see what the young guys have and see who's going to make the long term team? If this is the direction we should go, then why start Aminu over Ariza last year?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    That's the thing though. We're NOt tanking this year but not taking a guy like Calderon. We're letting young guys develop, but it's not trading everyone off to get a worse record. Why not see what the young guys have and see who's going to make the long term team? If this is the direction we should go, then why start Aminu over Ariza last year?
    I'm gonna get blasted for this, but is tanking really the wrong thing to do this year?

I admit that if you can make the playoffs, you gotta go for it. In the long run, it would probably be better if we are not too good too fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

One mock draft has us taking Noel at number 4...

Can you imagine the world actually coming to a complete stop and the center of it being NOLA...

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I'm gonna get blasted for this, but is tanking really the wrong thing to do this year?

Yes. Last season was a shortened season with many players that were not going to be here long term and there was a deep draft with a franchise changing player. This season you have a weak draft and long term players throughout the roster so it's time to establish a culture of winning and you don't do that by tanking.

GV is a cool guy and very likeable, but he turns the ball over too much. I'd take Calderon on a 1-year rental in a heartbeat. We're probably developing Roberts to be the longterm backup.

And who knows? Maybe during the season Rivers will be ready to take over the point, and we could possibly flip Calderon for something else (SF maybe?).

So many possibilities.

The thing is, Greivis has never turned the ball over as much as he did this preseason. I don't know if perhaps it's playing with new players or thinking about if his option would be picked up or what but he never turned the ball over much until this preseason.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    One mock draft has us taking Noel at number 4...

Can you imagine the world actually coming to a complete stop and the center of it being NOLA...
    I think I would cry.

GV will average 7-10 assist this year. "Mark it dude". Yea, lots of turnovers in pre-season but...its pre season and he wasnt alone in those troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    The thing is, Greivis has never turned the ball over as much as he did this preseason. I don't know if perhaps it's playing with new players or thinking about if his option would be picked up or what but he never turned the ball over much until this preseason.
    I was just about to say this. No one was worrying about GV before this preseason. There is likely a logical reason that he was turning the ball over so much this preseason. Maybe playing with an entirely new lineup? Trying things he wouldn't trying in a regular season game? Running new sets? You never know. I'm not going to judge the guy after a preseason with a depleted roster. I still have faith that the guy can be a premier backup PG in this league.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Im hoping we get Calderon. he is the perfect mentor for Rivers. He is a great team leader. He makes up better this year. He is a valuable trade chip for the deadline that can be traded for picks, young players to a contender. He stabilizes the offence and helps Davis, Anderson grow.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Im hoping we get Calderon. he is the perfect mentor for Rivers. He is a great team leader. He makes up better this year. He is a valuable trade chip for the deadline that can be traded for picks, young players to a contender. He stabilizes the offence and helps Davis, Anderson grow.
    I would do it if there was any indication we might be able to sign him to a longterm contract. I just do not want a one year rental. There's no point of that when a good part of our core is already signed for the next 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    We're probably developing Roberts to be the longterm backup.
    Doubtful. Roberts is a 27 year old journeyman. I do not think he is being developed with a long term plan. He is more of an end of the bench cheap filler player.

I hope to be wrong, but it looks as if this exercise has run it's course. I'm just really curious as to what trades Dell might be talking about this upcoming deadline.
    Jrue dat

Thread Information