Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Per Woj: Solomon Hill torn hammy will miss much of the season {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Matt Barnes, Tony Allen, and Anthony Morrow are all still out there and unsigned. The Pels only have 14 guys under contract. While hoping for Hill to have some breakout season was natural, it also was just that -- a hope. Instead it seems high time to go ahead and sign an experienced vet to take that spot. Hopes and dreams aside, all you need to replace is 7pts 4rebs and an 8.0PER. That is imminently doable.
    Tony Allen would be a great addition, I think.
    Also, Darius Miller could really step up and be that solid glue guy at SF

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not one to jump to Hill's defense, god knows he needed to improve on last year, but it's not always as simple as that. We had a top defense last year, and part of that was Hill playing heavy minutes defending some of the league's best. You have to replace that too.
    As mentioned, Tony Allen and Matt Barnes are two of the available options. Aging guys, but not guys in years past where you would have laughed "MUHAHAHAHA!! We have Solomon Hill and you only have Tony Allen/Matt Barnes! Losers!"

Tony Allen is not an awful 1 year bandaid. To be clear I wouldn't make him a starter but if he came cheap I wouldnt mind having him on the bench to be able to come in and lock down a wing for us.

Makes that Miller signing even better by Demps. If his defense can just hold up...

Still, hopefully we make some space and bring back Cunningham. He can't guard 2s like Hill but he would be ok on 3s and 4s.

Hill's injury won't be why we miss the playoffs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So......is Shabazz Muhammad an option for us?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    So......is Shabazz Muhammad an option for us?
    I mean, on one hand, we desperately need fresh bodies on the wing. On the other...

In my head, when I thought of the Pels season coming up, I included Cheick Diallo and Frank Jackson before I thought of Solomon Hill. Hell. I would think of Darius Miller as contributing before I remembered Hill.

So even though everyone else is kinda bummed, calling this a huge loss...I'm not. I hope Solo gets well soon, but I feel the same now as I did a week ago. I think we can make some noise this year, but we're gonna need one of the players we just added or had come back to step up and provide quality minutes. Jackson, Diallo, Crawford, whomever.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    To echo a few others on this thread, I think this blows. Not everyone is high on Solo's present value as a defender and potential as a decent offensive contributor and that's understandable, but I certainly was.

I was under full confidence that Solo would have a breakout similar to that of a Demarre Carroll or Jae Crowder as the next out of nowhere, really solid 3&D role player SF. So while you can look at his counting stats and say "LOL Solomon Hill being injured is not gonna be the death of this team" (there's a lot of that on Twitter), imagine how much of a positive shot in the arm it would have been if he could've done nothing more but make another 2-3% leap with his 3pt% from an okay 35%. Along with the fact that several posters here noticed how he definitely started to become more settled in the offense later in the season, which led to a few really solid performances. And forget the stats for a second...Solo had a great role player skillset. Can handle the ball in open court, good passing vision, and honestly a good shooting stroke if you look at it.

I also was salivating at having starters 1-5 all having the ability to grab a rebound and go. IDK how many people thought of that dynamic, but I certainly had.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, on one hand, we desperately need fresh bodies on the wing. On the other...

In my head, when I thought of the Pels season coming up, I included Cheick Diallo and Frank Jackson before I thought of Solomon Hill. Hell. I would think of Darius Miller as contributing before I remembered Hill.

So even though everyone else is kinda bummed, calling this a huge loss...I'm not. I hope Solo gets well soon, but I feel the same now as I did a week ago. I think we can make some noise this year, but we're gonna need one of the players we just added or had come back to step up and provide quality minutes. Jackson, Diallo, Crawford, whomever.
    I completely disagree. With his defense and playmaking ability I was really hoping him to become a solid contributor especially I he became more consistent with his 3pt shot.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    To echo a few others on this thread, I think this blows. Not everyone is high on Solo's present value as a defender and potential as a decent offensive contributor and that's understandable, but I certainly was.

I was under full confidence that Solo would have a breakout similar to that of a Demarre Carroll or Jae Crowder as the next out of nowhere, really solid 3&D role player SF. So while you can look at his counting stats and say "LOL Solomon Hill being injured is not gonna be the death of this team" (there's a lot of that on Twitter), imagine how much of a positive shot in the arm it would have been if he could've done nothing more but make another 2-3% leap with his 3pt% from an okay 35%. Along with the fact that several posters here noticed how he definitely started to become more settled in the offense later in the season, which led to a few really solid performances. And forget the stats for a second...Solo had a great role player skillset. Can handle the ball in open court, good passing vision, and honestly a good shooting stroke if you look at it.

I also was salivating at having starters 1-5 all having the ability to grab a rebound and go. IDK how many people thought of that dynamic, but I certainly had.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    I had exactly the same expectations and liked the idea of the starting five with him in it.

Trade for Glenn Robinson III. Good defender, proven he can score when PG was out last year. Young, athletic, hard worker.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Resign Cunningham ASAP. There's one player I think we are overlooking. Jalen Jones. I could be wrong but I think he could be awesome at SF. He's athletic, he can score and hit 3s. He looks solid on defense. Watch him become our starter. Cunningham has a good 3 point shot. I think we will solve this problem. Give me Miller or qpon and Jones let them fight for starting spot. If qpon is healthy I think he gets to start. He's solid. Don't panic y'all. We don't know what we have at SF yet. Improve offense at the 3. We could get Hill back by Jan or February. We are going to be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Resign Cunningham ASAP. There's one player I think we are overlooking. Jalen Jones. I could be wrong but I think he could be awesome at SF. He's athletic, he can score and hit 3s. He looks solid on defense. Watch him become our starter. Cunningham has a good 3 point shot. I think we will solve this problem. Give me Miller or qpon and Jones let them fight for starting spot. If qpon is healthy I think he gets to start. He's solid. Don't panic y'all. We don't know what we have at SF yet. Improve offense at the 3. We could get Hill back by Jan or February. We are going to be awesome.

Love the optimism bruh!! Solo is probably the only starter that gets hurt and does not effect us largely overall, but man I wanted to see all 5 starters start the season for once. Misty should be fired....Saints fired him so Breaux could not sue...kinda PR stunt...but the dude has been wrong so many times! How many strikeouts can you have and still have a job!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    How about AD at the 3, Boogie at the 4, and Asik at the 5? Or at least try it out for the first 5 games.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    How about AD at the 3, Boogie at the 4, and Asik at the 5? Or at least try it out for the first 5 games.
    Stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Pelicans do it for TJ plus they will have injury money from knight. I'm not sure how injury money works but if they can sign up to even 80% of knights 13 million for one year, we can sign Cunningham for 5-6 million for this year and still have another 4-5 million in case a decent player is bought out or maybe a trade for player with one year on their contract. Hope that is how it works.
    Nope! May be able to collect some insurance money but that doesn't help with the cap/tax/apron.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

As much as I liked Jalen Jones during Summer League, we can't rely on him to be a significant player just yet.

Not saying he can't, but putting some eggs in his basket is way too risky.

Solo was signed to a crazy contract last year. I won't say he lived up to it but it didn't look nearly as atrocious as I expected.
    He at least did well enough for the fan base to not be calling for us to wipe him off the books. But now I keep reading about how he isn't a reason why we'd miss or make the playoffs or win or lose games and the AD and Boogie connection is the only thing that matters. If that is how you feel, why then pay anything above the minimum for anyone and keep cap space to only try to sign stars?

I'm not even saying you're wrong if you think that way but if you feel that all that matters is acquiring talent at the top of a roster then shouldn't your entire strategy to be to save cap room for players you can offer the max to and fill out the rest of the roster with minimums? And if that is your strategy, why isn't that the reason to fire Dell, or why not complain about every non-minimum or star signing?

Really, I think his injury does hurt our chances of winning games and making the playoffs. I think that any player that can be effective off-ball or a plus defender (which I think he is both) is valuable. I think that with AD and Boogie under a new offensive system would really do well with off-ball cutters which Solo does well (from my memory at least). So while I didn't expect him to be even good enough to live up to his contract, I still thought he'd be serviceable and help win games and I think we'll really miss him.

On another note, if you wanted more gasoline for the Fire Dell fire, I think this is a decent argument against him. How many years has it been that our position of need is a wing. We signed one and added no depth so the inevitable injury occurs and we have no money and no depth. A GM isn't responsible for injuries necessarily, but a GM's role is to put their team in the best position to succeed and years of being deficient on the wing with a glut of guards and bigs should have taught Dell a lesson by now. If I were Benson and not willing to pay the tax, I certainly wouldn't make an exception just because Dell didn't put himself in a position to succeed by handing out huge contracts that he can't unload.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Solo was signed to a crazy contract last year. I won't say he lived up to it but it didn't look nearly as atrocious as I expected.
    He at least did well enough for the fan base to not be calling for us to wipe him off the books. But now I keep reading about how he isn't a reason why we'd miss or make the playoffs or win or lose games and the AD and Boogie connection is the only thing that matters. If that is how you feel, why then pay anything above the minimum for anyone and keep cap space to only try to sign stars?

I'm not even saying you're wrong if you think that way but if you feel that all that matters is acquiring talent at the top of a roster then shouldn't your entire strategy to be to save cap room for players you can offer the max to and fill out the rest of the roster with minimums? And if that is your strategy, why isn't that the reason to fire Dell, or why not complain about every non-minimum or star signing?

Really, I think his injury does hurt our chances of winning games and making the playoffs. I think that any player that can be effective off-ball or a plus defender (which I think he is both) is valuable. I think that with AD and Boogie under a new offensive system would really do well with off-ball cutters which Solo does well (from my memory at least). So while I didn't expect him to be even good enough to live up to his contract, I still thought he'd be serviceable and help win games and I think we'll really miss him.

On another note, if you wanted more gasoline for the Fire Dell fire, I think this is a decent argument against him. How many years has it been that our position of need is a wing. We signed one and added no depth so the inevitable injury occurs and we have no money and no depth. A GM isn't responsible for injuries necessarily, but a GM's role is to put their team in the best position to succeed and years of being deficient on the wing with a glut of guards and bigs should have taught Dell a lesson by now. If I were Benson and not willing to pay the tax, I certainly wouldn't make an exception just because Dell didn't put himself in a position to succeed by handing out huge contracts that he can't unload.
    If Qpon is healthy and able to play, it's a big IF, I believe he is the best SF on the roster. We can jump to criticizing dell but he's done a great job. It's a bummer to see hill go down but there's still a possibility that one of our SFs will step up and play great. I think it's going to be qpon.

Gentry was just on Black and Blue report saying that (and i paraphrase) 'we have some people who could fill in, but we really need to go out and find that one guy who can play the 3 - and fill in at 4 and maybe the 2' - his emphasis was on his ability as parameter defender. Then he backed up said they need to decide if they need someone or not. Seemed to me like he answered his own question.

Take away :
    1) Sounds like QP might not be as ready as we are led to believe - i expected him to say, QP is 98% and ready to play like he did in the run to the playoffs three seasons ago. If he were good to go - this would have been the moment to tell us.

2) Im guessing Gentry does not share the confidence of some that Miller can start at the 3 - we have guys that could fill in, but... does not sound encouraging. Last year when Evans and Holiday were out he had full confidence in Tim Frazer

3) Fill in at the 4? That doesn't sound good for Dante - Gentry said until the Solo injury they felt good about the team as is - Debate now is if they got one min contract to offer - should they use it on a vet min to bring in someone to play the 3.
    Last edited by Andynola; 08-28-2017 at 03:21 PM.

This team didn't do nearly enough in the offseason. Now losing players. I really doubt we have any chance at a playoff seed in the West. At the very very best an 8th seed MAYBE. Next season will begin without Dell and coach staff and Cousins will most likely leave. Oh and I'm sure along the way during this season Dell will trade next years #1 pick so the new GM and coach will be doomed at the beginning. Not promising forecast at this time but things possibly can change hopefully!!!

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    This team didn't do nearly enough in the offseason. Now losing players. I really doubt we have any chance at a playoff seed in the West. At the very very best an 8th seed MAYBE. Next season will begin without Dell and coach staff and Cousins will most likely leave. Oh and I'm sure along the way during this season Dell will trade next years #1 pick so the new GM and coach will be doomed at the beginning. Not promising forecast at this time but things possibly can change hopefully!!!
    Hill is a good guy but Rondo, Jrue, AD or Cousins didn't go down

Damn, late August and some people already know we aren't making the playoffs guess we should just forfeit the season oh well

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Kelly Oubre !��

It has nothing to do with confidence in Qpon or Miller. They can be extremely comfortable with both but still want to hedge their bets. Qpon hasn't played in 2 years and Miller is just coming back from Europe.

Makes sense they'd want to bring 1 more player in.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Damn, late August and some people already know we aren't making the playoffs guess we should just forfeit the season oh well

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Don't ever leave
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information