Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans sign Ian Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My knocks against him are BECAUSE he has not had a lot of quality minutes available, so anyone pounding their chest about the signing is basing it upon nothing. Even in his 15mpg his numbers are pedestrian at best yet some people have acted like signing him is the best move ever and we even got comments of, "Where are the Dell haters at now" over a guy who has had at best 1 meh season while playing in the best offense in the entire league.

I can believe he is a quality depth signing and also that people are going WAY overboard with how good he is. He is a bench scrub. The best asset that he brings isn't even his actual on court play, it's that he's won a ring while being on the bench so maybe he can show our players what it takes.
    To me, the bold part says it all. Pedestrian and being quality depth will be a breath of fresh air for this team. For the first time in a long time the team is pretty much all NBA caliber players and not filled out with fringe D-League players. This alone makes this kind of signing huge.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    To me, the bold part says it all. Pedestrian and being quality depth will be a breath of fresh air for this team. For the first time in a long time the team is pretty much all NBA caliber players and not filled out with fringe D-League players.
    It's fine to be happy that we have quality guard depth on the cheap. My posts have always been aimed at tempering what we should be expecting from him - which is not much. If he gives us more than that then AWESOME! But also, oh crap, because if he's getting substantial minutes then something has went wrong.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It's fine to be happy that we have quality guard depth on the cheap. My posts have always been aimed at tempering what we should be expecting from him - which is not much. If he gives us more than that then AWESOME! But also, oh crap, because if he's getting substantial minutes then something has went wrong.
    ...or, alternatively he could exceed the expectations you have that are based on the limited amount you've actually seen him play.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    ...or, alternatively he could exceed the expectations you have
    I literally said the same thing in my post.

I've also said from the beginning, have hope but be realistic. We can hope he becomes an All Star for us, but that doesn't mean we should expect it or says it is some signing that is world beating based off of potentially being better than we though he would be.

If we are going to sit here and say that "anything is possible" then we should never judge any trade, signing, or anything ever because "hey potential".
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-02-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Why do so many of you care about one poster's opinion? If you were excited about the signing when it took place, you can be excited about it now, regardless of anyone's contrary opinion. At the end of the day, time will resolve those differences. No use wasting time and arguing about it now.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Ian Clark at league minimum is a much much better signing than E'Twaun Moore at 4/$34m.

So if you were excited about the Moore signing, you should be thrilled about the Clark signing. Even if you weren't that excited about Moore, you should be excited about getting a comparable player for a fraction of the cost.

Ian Clark at league minimum is a much much better signing than E'Twaun Moore at 4/$34m.

So if you were excited about the Moore signing, you should be thrilled about the Clark signing. Even if you weren't that excited about Moore, you should be excited about getting a comparable player for a fraction of the cost.
    Is this the beginning of being able to get decent vet role players on the cheap due to having two stars? It looks like it and it feels good.

Is this the beginning of being able to get decent vet role players on the cheap due to having two stars? It looks like it and it feels good.
    Could be, looks like Young was prepared to sign here too

It's all about context. Basically every contract when Moore signed was big money. Also keep in mind the Bulls wanted to keep Moore so we had to offer more than they could match to get him. Nor do I necessarily think they are comparable talent wise. I don't know enough about Ian Clark's defense to know if he is as good on that end as Moore.

Yet again, I can be happy about getting depth on cheap and not think he is some amazing player, which he hasn't shown himself to be. It was the overreacting that caused me to comment, not the player himself.

I honestly don't know if he will get enough minutes to even matter. It really depends what other moves we make from here. There seems to be a logjam at guard right now and not enough front court depth.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Where did I say Crawford is going to continue to shoot as good as he did last year? He's behind Crawford because I see Crawford running the point in our 2nd unit. He's behind Moore because Moore is just better.
    Well, you said if he was playing ahead of Crawford something seriously went wrong. So you either A.) Think Crawford's season was not an illusion or B.) See Ian Clark as a player well bellow NBA level. Because Crawford was barely an NBA player before last year.

Edit: looking back, I misquoted you based on my bad memory. You said if he played 40 minutes something seriously went wrong. Not if he plays over Crawford or Moore. I apologize.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-03-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    @DanielVeuleman

I 100% agree with this. We do not have to over pay for fringe starters anymore!!

It's probably more due to the timing of the signing, rather than the team itself. Value signings tend to happen at this point in the offseason when most teams are capped or are content with their rosters moving forward into the new year.

Now if this signing had occured in early July...that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Well, you said if he was playing ahead of Crawford something seriously went wrong. So you either A.) Think Crawford's season was not an illusion or B.) See Ian Clark as a player well bellow NBA level. Because Crawford was barely an NBA player before last year.

Edit: looking back, I misquoted you based on my bad memory. You said if he played 40 minutes something seriously went wrong. Not if he plays over Crawford or Moore. I apologize.
    People forget that Crawford actually had a decent stint in the NBA before he went to China.

He's now played in 276 NBA games, and averaged 24.6min/gm. In fact his averages after returning last year were pretty close to his career averages, except, critically, his shooting percentages. And that will be the important one of course. He might have improved his shooting or shot selection in China. he might have had a lot more open shots with A.D. and Boogie to play off if. Or he might have just gotten on a well timed hot streak:

Career: 24.6min 12.3pts (.411 .314 .825) 2.5reb 3.2ast 0.7stl 0.1blk 1.9TO 14.1PER
    16-17: 23.3min 14.1pts (.482 .389 .769) 1.8reb 3.0ast 0.6stl 0.1blk 1.3TO 17.6PER

Clark on the other hand just had his first season averaging double figure minutes (14.4) at age 25. His career averages are 10.6min and 4.5pts. There's not much question which one of the two guys is the more established NBA player. But on the other hand, maybe, in a perfect Pels world, that means Clark has he most room to surprise and improve, while Crawford is going to be the guy he's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    People forget that Crawford actually had a decent stint in the NBA before he went to China.

He's now played in 276 NBA games, and averaged 24.6min/gm. In fact his averages after returning last year were pretty close to his career averages, except, critically, his shooting percentages. And that will be the important one of course. He might have improved his shooting or shot selection in China. he might have had a lot more open shots with A.D. and Boogie to play off if. Or he might have just gotten on a well timed hot streak:

Career: 24.6min 12.3pts (.411 .314 .825) 2.5reb 3.2ast 0.7stl 0.1blk 1.9TO 14.1PER
    16-17: 23.3min 14.1pts (.482 .389 .769) 1.8reb 3.0ast 0.6stl 0.1blk 1.3TO 17.6PER

Clark on the other hand just had his first season averaging double figure minutes (14.4) at age 25. His career averages are 10.6min and 4.5pts. There's not much question which one of the two guys is the more established NBA player. But on the other hand, maybe, in a perfect Pels world, that means Clark has he most room to surprise and improve, while Crawford is going to be the guy he's always been.
    Crawford looks like the same player he had always been based on raw stats. I remember hearing him in an interview last year and commenting on shot selection. In any case he dhould get a ton of open looks this year.

The biggest thing us the number of open shots the 2 bigs will generate for everyone else. Clark should be able to capitalize on them as well.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He is another combo / SG. We have to assume another move is coming. We are loaded with guys that play off the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I 100% agree with this. We do not have to over pay for fringe starters anymore!!
    If only it was like that before the Hill signing

I guess some people wanted the team to go over the salary cap. I wish now they would not have gotten Asik, but they didn't know they would get Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    If only it was like that before the Hill signing
    I think you mean...if the Pels only could have made the Cousins trade before that Asik signing.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post

Crawford felt like the same player he always was hitting at a rate above his head in a small sample size. I love Grits but that's just what the gut tells me. And China stats don't impress me much. Jimmer has proven himself if we trust those.

Clark, on the other hand, steadily improved and earned more playing time over his years in the association, carving out a role with his consistent shooting and effort. While I don't think he's a big difference maker, I'd actually bet on Clark way before I'd bet on my boy Crawford.

(Fingers crossed they both impress.)

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I think you mean...if the Pels only could have made the Cousins trade before that Asik signing.
    Right. Hill is not a great contract at all but it's not terrible either. For instance, I rather hill on his contract than crabbe on his contract. Asik is just a flat out waste of money but it is what it is. I hope we don't rush to stretch him and just cut our losses once the contract isn't guaranteed. Yeah it is a god awful contract but no one out here for the stretch money will make us better.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Crawford felt like the same player he always was hitting at a rate above his head in a small sample size. I love Grits but that's just what the gut tells me. And China stats don't impress me much. Jimmer has proven himself if we trust those.

Clark, on the other hand, steadily improved and earned more playing time over his years in the association, carving out a role with his consistent shooting and effort. While I don't think he's a big difference maker, I'd actually bet on Clark way before I'd bet on my boy Crawford.

(Fingers crossed they both impress.)
    Agreed. I'm glad that we came out of this offseason with rondo and Clark for a total of a little over 4 million. Yes we had to overpay for jrue but I can live with that being that he has potential t play better now with less pressure on him. I hope he is working his butt off in the gym on straight 3 point shooting

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Na the Asik deal is too far in the past now. I just think of it like a 10mil tax for being in the NBA and forget he's even on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Na the Asik deal is too far in the past now. I just think of it like a 10mil tax for being in the NBA and forget he's even on the team.
    It is sad that 2 guys who will barely get 5 minutes a game and will have 25+ DNPs(if not many injuries) are making a combined 15 mil. Good for them I guess..Bad for pels cap.

It is sad that 2 guys who will barely get 5 minutes a game and will have 25+ DNPs(if not many injuries) are making a combined 15 mil. Good for them I guess..Bad for pels cap.
    Ajinca will get minutes

Anjica will actually play so I can definitely be alright about his contract. Asik is just the death sentence we have to bear unfortunately

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Here's the 3 team trade for rockets getting melo. Can demps pull this off and would you do this? Could you?

ROCKETS GET MELO AND QPON

KNICKS GET RYAN ANDERSON, Omar Asik and Pelicans 2018 first, and Clint Capela and a rockets 1st rounder.

PELICANS get: Trevor Ariza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information