Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WWL Is the New Radio Home for the Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Hey Gamebreaker, did Gerry f#%^ your wife or something? He is a top notch analyst, and to say anything otherwise is absurd
    He certainly knows his basketball, but his personality is grating. It's not absurd for people to not like him. I can't stand the guy, and I've told him as much.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    And how do I go about this? Would love to listen to WWL radio for Hornets games
    I don't know if it's because of it's location (near or below sea level) or what, but WWL's 50,000 watts can be picked up in just about every state (lower 48) once the sun goes down - especially in the winter. There was some speculation that they were broadcasting over 50,000 watts. I am pretty sure they used to broadcast late-night in Spanish to Cuba back in the 60's right after Fidel took over. The original Road Gang Show after midnight targeted truckers across the country. I am willing to bet, we will hear more commercials from national brands and less about drink specials at Port-of-Call.

The most obvious scenario this creates is, if you want to carry the Saints games, you have to pick up the Hornets as well. This is a major coup.

Can we dare hope that somehow, someway Gerry V takes over SportsTalk on WWL now that the Hornets are on WWL? Reduce Deke to a Kristian Garic type role---sub host or weekend host. I could handle SportsTalk on WWL if it was V and Bobby. Plus could you imagine "Bobby from Atlanta" calling V on SportsTalk? ( You long timers on this message board will remember the posts that "Bobby from Atlanta" used to make on this board. Those were classic!)

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    That's not happening.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    kc2000:yeah sure ya have...you'd wet your pants.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The gauntlet has been thrown down!

The V man with the ice burn!

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    From Coullion63 on http://www.nolasportskrewe.com/showthread.php?t=1665

Gerry, Bob and Gil are no longer with the Hornets. I would assume that Fox Sports net will hire the TV broadcasters.

I don't know too much about the situation but I can promise you this, V will be back on the New Orleans sports media scene soon.
    Last edited by groundpatty; 08-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Snap.

Just guessing but, could Bob, Gil, GV be on the FSNOLA team. With GV and Gill rotating between sideline reporting and color commentary.

For the record, I really like this move, but I don't see how John D. fits into this picture.

On a side note, isn't Jim Henderson retired from WWL TV. Could he be our TV play by play guy?

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    kc2000:yeah sure ya have...you'd wet your pants.
    Lol, I've had it out with you on here. You and good ol' Harvey decided to partake in a little tag team action.

But to make it perfectly clear -- when it comes to basketball, you know your stuff. But as a person, I can't stand you.

What do ya know...diaper's still dry...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Diaper's dry? Guess it Depends.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Hopefully Gil is nowhere within a five hundred mile radius of a Hornets game. Pleasant enough guy but oh... man... awful on commentary.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Diaper's dry? Guess it Depends.
    ba-dum-tish

Wasn't V the one who predicted the Saints would lose in the Superbowl? I think I recall him saying some non complimentary things about the Saints and Benson also.
    If so do you think Benson forgot and will give him a job with the Hornets? Don't think so!!

Jim Henderson once implored Benson to sell the Saints in an editorial. That blew over and he Henderson stayed as play by play announcer. I would be surprised if V is blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Didn't Bob and Gerry used to work together on the radio broadcasts after the team first moved here? Steve (not the comedian) Martin did the play-by-play on television until he moved back to Carolina.
    Yes they did... in fact he (Bob Licht) went another season on the radio side even after Steve Martin went to Charlotte.

remember when Marv Albert's little bro (I think it was his brother) was Hornets TV play-by-play guy? Yeah... that lasted all of 1 season

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    Yes they did... in fact he (Bob Licht) went another season on the radio side even after Steve Martin went to Charlotte.

remember when Marv Albert's little bro (I think it was his brother) was Hornets TV play-by-play guy? Yeah... that lasted all of 1 season
    I think it was Kenny Albert, Marv's son.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I think it was Kenny Albert, Marv's son.
    Wikipedia says it was Steve Albert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_broadcasters

and yes I know wikiedia can be wrong... case in point... it lists Jordy Hultberg as the sideline reporter... Jordy hasn't been Hornets sideline reporter for like 2 or 3 seasons... as we all know it's been Victor Howell

and they already list Bob, Gil & Jordy as the broadcast team for this coming season... that's yet TBA

but I'm inclined to believe it since I know it was an Albert... and I now remember my 1st reaction to seeing him was "well at least it's another Steve"... that was the horrid season before CP3's arrival... as well as Hurricane Katrina's

as for Kenny Albert... you know that name from Fox NFL Sunday... he's on their # 2 announce team w/ Darryl "Moose" Johnson and Tony "Goose" Saragusa
    Last edited by rt0307; 08-04-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    Wikipedia says it was Steve Albert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_broadcasters

and yes I know wikiedia can be wrong... case in point... it lists Jordy Hultberg as the sideline reporter... Jordy hasn't been Hornets sideline reporter for like 2 or 3 seasons... as we all know it's been Victor Howell

and they already list Bob, Gil & Jordy as the broadcast team for this coming season... that's yet TBA

but I'm inclined to believe it since I know it was an Albert... and I now remember my 1st reaction to seeing him was "well at least it's another Steve"... that was the horrid season before CP3's arrival... as well as Hurricane Katrina's

as for Kenny Albert... you know that name from Fox NFL Sunday... he's on their # 2 announce team w/ Darryl "Moose" Johnson and Tony "Goose" Saragusa
    Ohhh. Ok.

It was Steve Albert during the 2004-2005 season. Marv's brother.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Kc2000: I love you! I always will.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    this is really surprising and fantastic news. not just important for the broadcasts but for coverage on WWL in general... huge, huge news.

Any chance V-man gets his own show on WWL?

Thread Information