Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans signing Motiejunas?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    be honest with yourself...cousins is the dominant big man in this game.....

now as for this signing...i have been crying for years over demps not addressing post up scoring......we have not had a post up player since carl landry was here and we made the playoffs with his help..........i hope this guy put a smile on my face in the paint and be able to get some points down there when the shots are not falling.......i pray for this....
    Cousins is not the most dominant big in the game. Cousins has never once in his career had a season with a FG% over 50. AD has a career average above 50%. AD is averaging more ppg, 2 more rpg, 1 more bpg, and turning the ball over less. All while being just 23 years old and Cousins is right in the heart of his prime at 26. This isn't even adding in the head case he is. So AD basically beats him in every meaningful category outside of assists so how is Cousins the more dominant big? The most dominant big isn't about who has the better post game. So before you claim Cousins is the most dominant big in the NBA please tell me how!? Because the #s sure don't say he is. AD also has put up one of the most dominant seasons in NBA history by a big man which CousIns has not. Again AD is only 23 and Cousins is 26.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Cousins is not the most dominant big in the game. Cousins has never once in his career had a season with a FG% over 50. AD has a career average above 50%. AD is averaging more ppg, 2 more rpg, 1 more bpg, and turning the ball over less. All while being just 23 years old and Cousins is right in the heart of his prime at 26. This isn't even adding in the head case he is. So AD basically beats him in every meaningful category outside of assists so how is Cousins the more dominant big? The most dominant big isn't about who has the better post game. So before you claim Cousins is the most dominant big in the NBA please tell me how!? Because the #s sure don't say he is. AD also has put up one of the most dominant seasons in NBA history by a big man which CousIns has not. Again AD is only 23 and Cousins is 26.

use the eye test....cousins has a inside game that AD dont have and imo never will have.....cousins can shoot outside shots too....cousins has the all around game and you cant deny that........now help me understand how can AD be the dominant big man in the game when he dont have a inside post game?..........i know this is small ball time now but big men still do play inside out..........its not about the age of them its about all around game.......and cousins being nutball dont matter either.....

can you throw the ball inside the paint to AD where he can bully a player and score or draw fouls?.....majority of AD points come from outside......its a reason why you and almost all of us like the d-mo signing...because he can get inside the paint points....
    Last edited by 6warddude; 01-05-2017 at 06:39 PM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Cousins and Davis are such different beasts that trying to determine which one is better is useless. A 300 pound post pounder with court vision and a decent shot vs. an athletic pick and roll freak with a massive wingspan who blocks shots and does a bit of everything on offensive.

The only reason we are talking about who is better is because they are both labeled "big men" by all star voters and casual fans. They're both just superstars who need better supporting casts ASAP.
    @DanielVeuleman

use the eye test....cousins has a inside game that AD dont have and imo never will have.....cousins can shoot outside shots too....cousins has the all around game and you cant deny that........now help me understand how can AD be the dominant big man in the game when he dont have a inside post game?..........i know this is small ball time now but big men still do play inside out..........its not about the age of them its about all around game.......and cousins being nutball dont matter either.....

can you throw the ball inside the paint to AD where he can bully a player and score or draw fouls?.....majority of AD points come from outside......its a reason why you and almost all of us like the d-mo signing...because he can get inside the paint points....
    You have nothing on your side. It the "eye test" that no does not clearly show he is the better play. I presented you with all the facts. Cousins has not been above 50% his entire career so obviously his post game isn't working out very well for him and ADs score more efficiently. Give me the guy who scores just as many points and is more efficient any day over thir or that style. Not to mention he is only a 1 way player while AD is at the top on both sides of the ball. Again he is also 3 years younger. Sorry but that's eye test isn't enough. Especially when you only see Cousins less then a handful of times each year.

Barkley just said it was a nice pick up for the Pels on TNT postgame.

#Pelslife

#Wearedoomed!

D Mo is a great great signing. It's a steal at the vet min alone. If he can stay somewhat healthy then it's a ridiculous type steal. One that I'm shocked Dell Demps did. Can't wait to see him getting some quality PT. Love this signing

What exactly are u saying tho? Is it that Cousins is the better player over Davis right now? Cuz it sounds like that. If so then I highly disagree and every stat "general and advanced" that matters would agree with me. Cousins has the better back to the basket game right now today. That's all he does better. Davis is also 3-4 years younger and his B2B game has improved every year and I'd bet anything he has that aspect of his game conquered in the next 3-4 years. Cousins is the best of the true Centers in today's NBA. I consider Davis a true PF like Duncan, Garnett, etc. They're very diff players but AD is the better overall player for sure. Then u have to factor in his behavior and locker room presence when judging an NBA player. Cousins is lacking there big time. Doesn't hesitate to do something stupid and hurt his team in middle of a game. Cousins next to AD would be the most dominant big man combo since the twin towers in S.A and likely be better and GOAT. Love me some Cousins and the edge he plays with but he needs to know when to reel it in and chill. Today's NBA isn't the 1995 NBA. Cousins would've been a legend in the 1990's NBA. A straight legend and not a supposed "problem child". Today's NBA is soft and watered down. I've been saying that for a while now.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    What exactly are u saying tho? Is it that Cousins is the better player over Davis right now? Cuz it sounds like that. If so then I highly disagree and every stat "general and advanced" that matters would agree with me. Cousins has the better back to the basket game right now today. That's all he does better. Davis is also 3-4 years younger and his B2B game has improved every year and I'd bet anything he has that aspect of his game conquered in the next 3-4 years. Cousins is the best of the true Centers in today's NBA. I consider Davis a true PF like Duncan, Garnett, etc. They're very diff players but AD is the better overall player for sure. Then u have to factor in his behavior and locker room presence when judging an NBA player. Cousins is lacking there big time. Doesn't hesitate to do something stupid and hurt his team in middle of a game. Cousins next to AD would be the most dominant big man combo since the twin towers in S.A and likely be better and GOAT. Love me some Cousins and the edge he plays with but he needs to know when to reel it in and chill. Today's NBA isn't the 1995 NBA. Cousins would've been a legend in the 1990's NBA. A straight legend and not a supposed "problem child". Today's NBA is soft and watered down. I've been saying that for a while now.

yes, im saying cousins is the dominant player now.....yes ,stats say that AD is better then cousins but yall know that stats dont tell the whole truth.......if AD is a 5 now then i dont think he is the dominant big in the game now........on offense AD shoots jumpers and if his outside shot is not falling then what do AD have to fall back on to dominate on offense with?.....AD has no post game yet and thats why imo cousins is the dominant big in the game now.....AD block more shots then cousins but on the flip side, AD would give up more points than cousins in the paint because cousins can hold his own down there...........cousins being a nut ball does not take away from his dominance imo........

Im talking about the last 2 years and now and imo cousins is the most dominant big man in the game....if you want to go with just the stats then AD is the better player.....

Have there ever been a dominant big who had no post game?...if there was one,,i cant remember who...im being honest when i say i cant remember who .....i just think that if you have 2 bigs thats equal and one has a post game then im going with the one who has a post game to fall back on........

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    You have nothing on your side. It the "eye test" that no does not clearly show he is the better play. I presented you with all the facts. Cousins has not been above 50% his entire career so obviously his post game isn't working out very well for him and ADs score more efficiently. Give me the guy who scores just as many points and is more efficient any day over thir or that style. Not to mention he is only a 1 way player while AD is at the top on both sides of the ball. Again he is also 3 years younger. Sorry but that's eye test isn't enough. Especially when you only see Cousins less then a handful of times each year.

your stats say AD is the better player but is AD the most dominant?....stats dont tell it all and you of all people should know this........AD and cousins play offense and defense......ill ask you the same question...when AD shot is not falling then what do he have to fall back on?....AD dont have a post game yet to fall back on and cousins do........stats dont tell it all......AD was 7-20 last night...ijs maybe if he had a post game, just maybe he could go 14-20........imo cousins has the edge because he has a post game......

now everyone on this board seen diallo play in two games and put up good stats.....hell, he played better than buddy back then.......majority of the posters on the board want diallo to get some pt because of what we saw him do when given the time to play..........you came on here and told all of us that gentry know better then us and see the kid everyday in practice and you take his judgement..........now when it comes to diallo you want to throw stats out the window....if you are going to use only your stats as facts then why are you not using your stats to back up diallo?......because stats dont tell the whole truth right?.........

LoL the whole Diallo thing makes no sense. Diallo IMO has played great and I would love to see him on the court. Never said other wise. His stats do tell a lot of the story on how well he has played. Now that doesn't necessarily means he's fully ready and does all of the little things right which everyone should fully expect from a rookie. I do trust Gentry more then anyone on this board on the status of him being fully prepared to succeed.

Since AD has no post game and blah blah then how is he converting at a higher % with more points then Cousins? He averages 50%+ from the field for his career and Cousins has yet to break 50% once. Also AD is a 2 way player while Cousins plays one side of the ball. Again you have not stated anything on how Cousins is more dominant then AD except he has a better post game. Last I checked having a better post game doesn't make you the more dominant player and if it did then Monroe is one of the elite big men just because he plays better then AD in the post. You're ignoring everything AD does better which is just about everything besides passing and his post game.

If Asik is a 1 and Gasol is a 10 what kind of a player do you think Montiejunas can be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If D-Mo steps into the bench post scorer role, do you play Diallo with him? I can't see T-Jones and D-Mo being a good fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    He played good tonight hopefully they will look for him more in the future .

It's funny how Locked On Pelicans and BourbonStreetShots podcasts after signing Motiejunas were very negative and said he's unlikely to produce anything for this team; complaining how it might even be a bad signing despite it being 600k contract, how he will stop Diallo's progress (when Diallo wasn't getting minutes anyway). I wasn't following Pelicans closely up until this week and it shocked me how NBA journalists, who cover NBA team, would be so sceptical about signing DMo on a MINIMUM deal while playing Terrence freakin Jones up to 30 minutes a night. Same Terrence Jones that Motiejunas pushed out of rotation in Houston over and over AND OVER again. Same Terrence Jones who was sitting on Houston's bench with DNP-CD 8 months ago, watching Donatas "rehabbing after injury" Motiejunas put up 14 points 13 rebounds, fighting Draymond Green, blocking Klay Thompson's mid range jumpers, drawing charges left and right in Houston's only win against Warriors in the playoffs.
    I get that Pelicans are not where fanbase wants them to be, but the never ending pessimism from journalists who cover Pelicans just shocked me.

Banned
    Maybe he can teach Omer how not to suck so hard

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    If Asik is a 1 and Gasol is a 10 what kind of a player do you think Montiejunas can be ?

He has the potential to be an 8. The guy IMO when healthy has a skill set similiar to the Gasol brothers and a little in between styles. Offensively he is damn near as good. Defensively he's not as good but a little different as well. I watched him lock down Green and guard him step for step. He's not a great rim protector but can hold his own with bigs. Kid has a ton of potential and can fit in great next to AD.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate T.Jones! View Post
    It's funny how Locked On Pelicans and BourbonStreetShots podcasts after signing Motiejunas were very negative and said he's unlikely to produce anything for this team; complaining how it might even be a bad signing despite it being 600k contract, how he will stop Diallo's progress (when Diallo wasn't getting minutes anyway). I wasn't following Pelicans closely up until this week and it shocked me how NBA journalists, who cover NBA team, would be so sceptical about signing DMo on a MINIMUM deal while playing Terrence freakin Jones up to 30 minutes a night. Same Terrence Jones that Motiejunas pushed out of rotation in Houston over and over AND OVER again. Same Terrence Jones who was sitting on Houston's bench with DNP-CD 8 months ago, watching Donatas "rehabbing after injury" Motiejunas put up 14 points 13 rebounds, fighting Draymond Green, blocking Klay Thompson's mid range jumpers, drawing charges left and right in Houston's only win against Warriors in the playoffs.
    I get that Pelicans are not where fanbase wants them to be, but the never ending pessimism from journalists who cover Pelicans just shocked me.
    I feel like pessimists automatically anticipate the worst so that there's never any disappointment

I don't see how DMo is anyway could be a bad signing. Blocking Diallos progress? The guy is working hard and getting better everyday. Joel said today how hard the kid works. You don't need to play to develop. Probably best the way we are developing to have him fully prepared to succeed.

The game you are talking about with DMo really shows this kids potential. I was watching him and was amazed thinking he was going to be one of the next great big men and a potential key to playing with the Warriors. So having AD and DMo definitely isn't a bad duo to have considering we now have 2 big men who give the Warriors fits. DMo showed he can be one of the most skilled big men in the game. I'll say it again he has Gasol brother potential offensively.

2 great videos showing DMo against the Warriors. Still did much more these videos don't show and this was after injury. I'm sure we will get a show of what he does but was great seeing it on such a big stage against the best team dominating Green all game along with Bogut and Speights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dazUZr86sRE
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mr167lMsGPk
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-07-2017 at 11:32 PM.

weird, a new user with a nickname of "I hate T.Jones!" complaining about never ending pessimism and negativity at another player? I didn't actually hear the specific negativity you speak about in the locked on podcast. More two bloggers chatting about what impact he could have, and MM saying its funny the people who were crying for more playing time for Diallo are happy with the signing, even though it means less playing time now for Diallo. that and MM having a go at people using the phrase "low risk high reward". Part of the low expectation being that dmo is behind on play time with the team, missing camp, hasn't played ball in a while. hardly invalid points on the guy.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I feel like pessimists automatically anticipate the worst so that there's never any disappointment
    Always felt that's kinda cowardly. It's a win-win from a certain perspective.

If they're right, they get to say I told you so.
    If they're wrong, something good happened anyway.

Let's say DMo ends up averaging something like 13 pts, 6 reb, 3 ast per game on 50% shooting and 38% from 3. How much should the Pels be willing to offer him?

Let's say DMo ends up averaging something like 13 pts, 6 reb, 3 ast per game on 50% shooting and 38% from 3. How much should the Pels be willing to offer him?
    3 year/$40 million w/incentives

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Always felt that's kinda cowardly. It's a win-win from a certain perspective.

If they're right, they get to say I told you so.
    If they're wrong, something good happened anyway.
    Yeah that's the vibe I tend to get when listening to Pels podcast people. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad those people put the time in to put out podcasts/articles. There just usually tends to be an underlying pessimism. Though they will pass it off as realism. I think the Pels lack of success is the main reason for it, which I guess is understandable.

the better question would be 'how much could we offer him?'. if we renounce our cap hold on reke and jones, I think it leaves us 5 mill in cap space (with jrues cap hold of 17mill, and dante and Langston picking up their player options)

Thread Information