Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread: Pelicans @ Thunder

I wonder how long Davis is gonna let his hair grow out.

Now man up, admit you were wrong and overreacted, and be happy about the W

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Play bad, get lucky.
    Man, have you changed. Used to be a quality poster on this board. Now just nothing but negative. We didn't play bad. We had a couple bad possesions on offense, but you have to credit the team for not letting the Thunder score for 4 end of game possesions in a row. Why would you call that "bad play" and "getting lucky"?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If the players don't run what was called 3 straight crucial possessions...you do the math.
    Yes, the players didn't run the plays 3 straight times. That's literally completely exactly what happened.

If that last play was the play Monty called than he needs to be fired

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Now man up, admit you were wrong and overreacted, and be happy about the W
    No one was wrong on the offensive end. That was an atrocious display. Just plain terrible.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    We just beat OKC for the second time, this one on their home court. Back above .500 and still in playoffs as of today. Last few possessions were mind boggling but that was a great game.

Fire Monty tonight. AD just said in the postgame interview that Monty told him to back off when he went to set the screen on that last offensive possession

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He does have the ability to yell out who he wants taking that shot. He should of been screaming to give it to Jrue or yelling some sort of play.
    I mean tyreke pulled up at the last second. You gotta like Reke against roberson iso, when he's actually driving to the hoop.

He has been out of position for spurts all night defensively. He has killed ball movement by going into Iso mode far too many times. Taken bad shots that thankfully a couple of which went in. Dribbled the ball off his foot what, 3 times? And has been a non-factor for long spurts on offense.

This has not been one of his better games.
    I also never argued he had an awesome game, he has had an alright game that if he got the calls he should, wouldn't be getting as many complaints. Don't confuse my original post as me stating Reke has had an awesome game. I highlighted his numbers purely to show he hasn't been a non factor, because houstonpelicans comment made it as if he had been absolutely horrible and everyone else had been fine. The starting lineup had played pretty average most of the night excluding the assists, and Reke and Jrue had both had more than a fair share of bonehead plays. Reke and AD had a great drive and pass game going, that seems to have stopped. since this conversation started,

I'm going to stop the conversation here though, because his 2nd half performance was worse than the first, and at the point this started I was referencing more first half. I'm definitely not arguing against the poor 2nd. As already mentioned by yourself, the iso ball plays weren't good. In saying that, a couple of those were just sloppy offense as a team, not much going on.

listening to AD after comments, interesting he thought Monty told him to drop off on the last play.

Did anyone else hear AD say that Monty called off his pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Topes win a game!
    haha exactly what went through my head at the end.

I mean tyreke pulled up at the last second. You gotta like Reke against roberson iso, when he's actually driving to the hoop.
    Roberson is an excellent defender.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No one was wrong on the offensive end. That was an atrocious display. Just plain terrible.
    True, but we just stopped okc on 5 straight possessions to end the game. Oh and OKC is like the best D in the league. I'll take a gritty win oveer a pretty loss anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ac5355 View Post
    If that last play was the play Monty called than he needs to be fired
    He didn't

Yes, the players didn't run the plays 3 straight times. That's literally completely exactly what happened.
    If there is a point in there somewhere, it is still buried.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Fire Monty tonight. AD just said in the postgame interview that Monty told him to back off when he went to set the screen on that last offensive possession
    I still cannot believe I heard Davis say that in the interview, tell your best player to back off? Don't try to use your best player to win the game? How can anyone continue to support and defend this man as being a head coach in this league? Demps and Monty are budget hires by George Shinn who was about to go bankrupt. So what does good ole Tom do? He gives Monty a new 5 year deal when he just bought the team.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Excellent effort to end that game, defensively. Lots of bone headed plays, as usual, but I'll take 2-0 over the Thunder, above .500, and a spot in the top 8 any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Man, have you changed. Used to be a quality poster on this board. Now just nothing but negative. We didn't play bad. We had a couple bad possesions on offense, but you have to credit the team for not letting the Thunder score for 4 end of game possesions in a row. Why would you call that "bad play" and "getting lucky"?
    We played pretty bad most of the night dude. Had a hot start and good finish(minus Evans possessions) but a lot of mess in between. Evans was bad all game, Jrue was bad most of the first half and through spurts of the third. Ryno was off and took a lot of bad shots tonight. Defensive effort was lacking at times. Ball movement was poor most of the game. Too much iso.

Davis had a monster game and like he often does picks up slack for others and his efficiency raises this team ten fold. Take out his shots and the team shot 39%. Just look at the starters minus AD and they shot 32%.

Bench looked good even if it is in the face of often times poor ball movement and passing which I think is really hurting Ryno's game.

Jrues passing really picked up in the second half. All star level in fact.

Was not that impressed altogether with the team though.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Roberson is an excellent defender.
    You're gonna get a 1 on 1 80% of the time. I'll take Reke v him going towards the hoop over Jrue v westbrook or AD v Ibaka on a straight ISO. That's Monty's thinking I guess... I'd still run the P&R action earlier and let things shake but I'd want Reke driving in that situation

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    haha exactly what went through my head at the end.

This is the conundrum with this team. Had 33 assists tonight, but at crucial points in the game, they looked like ymca guys speced out in Jordan gear. You just never get a sense that there is any structure on this end of the floor.

He didn't
    AD just said that he thought Monty told him to drop off the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzmanD View Post
    I still cannot believe I heard Davis say that in the interview, tell your best player to back off? Don't try to use your best player to win the game? How can anyone continue to support and defend this man as being a head coach in this league? Demps and Monty are budget hires by George Shinn who was about to go bankrupt. So what does good ole Tom do? He gives Monty a new 5 year deal when he just bought the team.
    Who really feels comfortable with an AD iso on Ibaka for the last shot? There wasn't a great matchup out there but for an ISO Monty picked the best one. By the way the team won the game. man up

AD just said that he thought Monty told him to drop off the screen.
    I stand corrected, but that's not a playcall. Monty chose that matchup with the 5-6 seconds left in the play. Can't say I blame him.

Thread Information