Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 2012-2013 Roster Taking Shape...What's left?

Alot of people are making alot of excuses for Aminu. That is not a good thing. Aminu is on his last straw this season.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Alot of people are making alot of excuses for Aminu. That is not a good thing. Aminu is on his last straw this season.
    You have got to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me.
    I hope hes joking... The ppl on this board flip flop way too much. One day its: O henry my hero! Then the next is: Henry is the most garbage player ive seen in a long time. These opinions were formed before the nba season even started. Its pretty damn sad. Have some faith in people and stop being such pessimists. Everyones frustartion with Gordon was understandable bc he was being an *** but afa and henry are both young and in their second season with us. If they suck this season then you can start bashing them. We are rebuilding; not seeking instant progress.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not really worrying about Aminu. He's no better and no worse than Ariza. And that's alright by me. We don't need him to provide more offense than he's capable of. We got Gordon, Anderson, Rivers, Smith, and Mason to do things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not really worrying about Aminu. He's no better and no worse than Ariza. And that's alright by me. We don't need him to provide more offense than he's capable of. We got Gordon, Anderson, Rivers, Smith, and Mason to do things like that.
    Exactly! Aminu wants to be a lockdown defender like Ariza. He Played pretty well definsively last season, and he will have a great passer in vazquez feeding him the ball. He may never polish his offensive game, but he will be an Ariza like defender which is what monty wants.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    It's funny how people say one is "flip flopping." You don't need to wait until the season and see how Henry plays when you seen him do bad in the summer league. So what will happen if he is in a actual game. Yea some is going to say, " he's not playing with his true teammates," and all that good stuff, but when he plays against elite defenders he would look like a middle schooler. I give it to him, he improved with getting to the line and knocking down those free-throws. Not much from anything else. We shall see
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I'm not worrying about Henry either. It's not like we're counting on anything from them. The only players we need to worry about not shoting significant improvement are the guys we just drafted, Anderson, and Gordon on the health from. Whatever good we get out of Henry is langiappe.

Also, Henry will benefit from playing with Gordon and Anderson and Davis as much as Rivers will. He'll have no committed defender to him. It'll be a lil' easier for him. Also, judging from the way he shot, he's at least putting up shots better than last year already if you wanna care much about Summer League.

Stop worrying so much about our bench guys. They'll do what they do...or they won't and we'll trade them. Won't make or break our team either way.

I'll still call him X the Eliminator though, cuz it's fun. Think I'll call Roger "Free"Mason Jr...what I just called him. Maybe play Jay-Z songs whenever he hits a basket.

Completely disagree with people who say this. Just because Aminu is a long, athletic player doesn't make him the same player as Ariza.

Ariza is the better defender, and at least capable of making a jumpshot on the offensive end. Last year, Ariza also displayed much better decision making skills. Both are pretty poor handling the ball, especially Aminu. Ariza is the better passer, though Aminu has shown to be solid in that area.

Aminu is raw, raw, raw. He's an overrated defender. People see his length and wingspan and automatically label him as a perimeter stopper. There's more to being a good defender than that, mainly technique and instinct. Additionally, Aminu has displayed countless times how much of a liability he is on the offensive end. The only above-average aspect of his game is rebounding. And even then, he is often getting rebounds off of his own missed shots.

He needs to hit the 3 with regularity (or any other jumpshot for that matter). And he does need to grow a bit more on the defensive end. Most of all, he needs to learn how to play the game of basketball. Proper spacing, better decision making, and learning how to dribble the ball would help him drastically to become a useful player, or at least a player who fits on this team.

The fact of the matter is Ariza would have been a much better fit on this team. However, due to cap reasons or the youth movement, we no longer have a starting caliber player at the 3. Hopefully Aminu shows some improvement this year. Based off his Olympics performance so far, I doubt it.

Do people even realize Aminu's PER last year? 10.68. Let's stop overrating him.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 08-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Aminu just needs confidence and that attack mode like he had in college. I don't know about you guys but I love when players get hype and try to get the crowd hype(Vasquez). That was Aminu in college, that needs to be him with the Hornets, don't be scared, hack Lebron up, try to rise and jam on Howard. Just show confidence.

PER is a terrible indicator of a player's acutal defense because it can only factor in blocks and steals. And I said no better, no worse than Ariza. If you wanna put a number on it, Ariza gets a B+ on D. Aminu might be a B- or a C++ if you really wanna get silly.

The difference is academic but really inconsequential.

Argue lil' bitty things like who is the better passer, who rebounds better. Doesn't matter. I don't see any significant drop off from plugging Aminu where Ariza went. Plus, Aminu is a lot younger and cheaper.

PER is a terrible indicator of a player's acutal defense because it can only factor in blocks and steals. And I said no better, no worse than Ariza. If you wanna put a number on it, Ariza gets a B+ on D. Aminu might be a B- or a C++ if you really wanna get silly.

The difference is academic but really inconsequential.

Argue lil' bitty things like who is the better passer, who rebounds better. Doesn't matter. I don't see any significant drop off from plugging Aminu where Ariza went. Plus, Aminu is a lot younger and cheaper.
    Agreed. I feel there a certain kinds of defenders, some may get block shots like Ibaka. Ibaka IMO is an overrated man on man defender. Then defenders like Sefolosha, who play doesn't show up on the stat sheets but he will lock you down, and make great plays from time to time. Then they're just hustle players, and Aminu is between that and Sefolosha type. Defensively Aminu still has a ton of potential.

Hm. I need to go back to school. Cuz I said "Put a number on it" and proceeded to give it a letter grade.

Hm. I need to go back to school. Cuz I said "Put a number on it" and proceeded to give it a letter grade.

Agreed meaning I agree with your letter grades, but adding a little extra of my own.

PER doesn't determine defense. I don't like PER all that much.

Among regulars last season, Aminu's defensive rating was 3rd on the team and was better than the team's overall defensive rating. He has potential to be an elite defender and is pretty good already. He's not quite as good as Ariza right now as a player, but he's a better bargain when comparing salaries.

However, he hasn't improved much offensively from last season. He cannot shoot at all and his ball-handling is a suspect which overall makes him a huge liability on the offensive end. I don't think he is guaranteed to start at SF right now and is not ready to be the short-term or long-term answer at the position until proven otherwise.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Completely disagree with people who say this. Just because Aminu is a long, athletic player doesn't make him the same player as Ariza.

Ariza is the better defender, and at least capable of making a jumpshot on the offensive end. Last year, Ariza also displayed much better decision making skills. Both are pretty poor handling the ball, especially Aminu. Ariza is the better passer, though Aminu has shown to be solid in that area.

Aminu is raw, raw, raw. He's an overrated defender. People see his length and wingspan and automatically label him as a perimeter stopper. There's more to being a good defender than that, mainly technique and instinct. Additionally, Aminu has displayed countless times how much of a liability he is on the offensive end. The only above-average aspect of his game is rebounding. And even then, he is often getting rebounds off of his own missed shots.

He needs to hit the 3 with regularity (or any other jumpshot for that matter). And he does need to grow a bit more on the defensive end. Most of all, he needs to learn how to play the game of basketball. Proper spacing, better decision making, and learning how to dribble the ball would help him drastically to become a useful player, or at least a player who fits on this team.

The fact of the matter is Ariza would have been a much better fit on this team. However, due to cap reasons or the youth movement, we no longer have a starting caliber player at the 3. Hopefully Aminu shows some improvement this year. Based off his Olympics performance so far, I doubt it.

Do people even realize Aminu's PER last year? 10.68. Let's stop overrating him.
    The most sensible post about Aminu I've ever seen on here.

Kid is only 21 and is raw. He is not a finished product. You guys are so impatient with the guy. Give him a chance. He has a ton of potential in terms of his size and athleticism. Not every player develops at the same rate. His numbers slightly improved pretty much across the board last year (pts, rebs, assists, percentages, etc) and he became a better defender. He is younger than Miller for crying out loud. And if the Olympics actually meant anything, teams would be lining up to give Ike Diagu a max contract, lol. And that guy A. Davis must be a flop because he can't get off the bench!

After two years, when Rivers is not scoring 20 points a game, are you going to declare him a failure?

Btw, Aminu is one of the big reasons this Clipper fan has become a big Hornets fan now. I really like th kid.
    Last edited by sfernald; 08-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Age means nothing and tons of people have potential. I don't see development in him. He's overrated. He defniitely looks intimidated on the court. Very timid offensively. Giving someone a chance is necessary when they show you that they deserve it. I don't think he does and I don't think that he's shown that he does. Can't compare A. Davis olympic situation to Aminu's Nigeria situation at all. Ridiculous comparison. Much more star talent on the U.S. team so that's why Davis won't start. But Nigeria? no sir. Not buying that comparison. There's no reason he shouldn't start on that team if he's halfway decent.

I'm not sure how Clipper fans are but as a Saints/Hornets fan, I stick with my team through thick and thin. Even when CP left. Can't agree with jumping to another team because a player left. Just my opinion but some fans jump from team to team like that. And if Aminu was a big reason you left.......wow...lol. Not Eric Gordon, but Aminu?

The use of the word overrated whenever any player is mentioned as being badder than someone else thinks is overrated.

The #1 team losing to an unranked team can get called overrated. An average to bad player being given a sliver of hope of doing something worth while is not overrated, it's someone grasping for a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by BRHORNETSFAN View Post
    Age means nothing and tons of people have potential. I don't see development in him. He's overrated. He defniitely looks intimidated on the court. Very timid offensively. Giving someone a chance is necessary when they show you that they deserve it. I don't think he does and I don't think that he's shown that he does. Can't compare A. Davis olympic situation to Aminu's Nigeria situation at all. Ridiculous comparison. Much more star talent on the U.S. team so that's why Davis won't start. But Nigeria? no sir. Not buying that comparison. There's no reason he shouldn't start on that team if he's halfway decent.

I'm not sure how Clipper fans are but as a Saints/Hornets fan, I stick with my team through thick and thin. Even when CP left. Can't agree with jumping to another team because a player left. Just my opinion but some fans jump from team to team like that. And if Aminu was a big reason you left.......wow...lol. Not Eric Gordon, but Aminu?
    Huh, last I checked there was no law that said you could only like one team. That was a pretty big assumption. And of course I look forward to seeing how Gordon progresses as well. Still a little mad at him though.

Aminu is a stopgap 3 this yr that will ultimately be traded mid or end of season. Next year's cap will be used for SF position.

Thread Information