Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

The Artist    Contributor   
    Pretty nice Unis bigdub. I personally prefer NOLA across the front of the Road uniform. Also, I'm leery about that green (kinda sea-foamy) plus the new cosmetic upgrades to the arena could possibly include a new outside finish as well as new seat colors
    I just wanted to do something different with the green. I tried using a navy with a slate blue and the gold but it looked too much like the color palette of the Grizzlies. Regardless of Utah using their/OUR old logo again, they chose to use navy instead of purple and added silver to the green and gold.

I think people expect us to use P-G-G simply by association with the city. Almost like our MG uniforms are expected from us and thus should be our full time set minus a few tweaks here and there. People and media alike that still refer to us as "Charlotte" can't be blamed when we still carry the name, colors and especially so since our last uniform update reverted us back to a look similar to their days there.

I truly understand people's argument who reject a re-brand but like it or not, we will forever live in Charlotte's shadow until something is done about it. As far as the updates to the Arena, I think it would be neat for them to do something similar to the treatment the SD got with their gold panels. However, doing so might relegate the Hornets even further into the "baby brother" status that they currently share with the Saints.

Although I don't see any glaring problems with the Arena considering it is still pretty much new, I know they (State) will find way's to upgrade it even if it meant a new fascade and seating. Whether or not they want to justify the colors based on any changes the team makes is something else all it's own.

Rebranding the Hornets

Howdy NOLA!

First off, congrats on what sounds like great news coming out of the whole ownership fiasco. New Orleans is one of the best places on the planet, and y’all losing a team would’ve been a travesty. Ok…so I come in peace…that established?

Obviously, from my link, you can see what I’m all about. I’m a Charlotte native, and the Hornets tipped off when I was 7. Which pretty much made Kurt Rambis and Kelly Tripuka superheroes in my book. A whole heck of a lot of this city still feels this way, and we’d do just about anything to get our name/colors back.

I’ve been reading in various places that y’all are about as eager to shed yourselves of the stench of Shinn as we are to eliminate the residual B** Johnson filth that permeates every nook and cranny of our franchise. So I figured…why not come straight to the source? I've provided the link for the Facebook page I’ve set up supporting Charlotte reclaiming our original, regionally-significant and beloved name, and New Orleans rebranding under the banner of one of y’alls’ myriad unique cultural traditions. I friggin’ LOVE the Krewe thing…it actually seems like something that would attract people to y’alls’ brand on a national level…

…we pretty much just have the Hornets…

The Facebook page has exploded over the past week, as has the petition I've set up (links below). Our ranks include several enthusiastic New Orleans fans/residents. We'd really love to see the rest of y'all join our ranks!

We kind of hit the 'big time' this week, too...Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer interviewed me for yesterday's paper. He's behind us in theory, but has reservations about how much of a difference the rebranding would make in the long run. I've included the link to his story, as well, and as you can see in the comments below his article, the Charlotte fanbase is overwhelmingly against his opinion.

This isn’t some kind of ‘goodwill gesture’ I’m asking for…no charity here. I feel like it’d be mutually beneficial for both cities. As far as I can tell, the whole ‘Hornet’ thing means about as much to y’all as the Knickerbockers would to us. So why not work something out in which both cities can rebrand (or in our case, re-rebrand) and connect with a couple of fanbases who, lets face it…don’t currently have much else to cheer about.

New ownership, fresh start…think about it.

Thanks for your time, and again…congratulations on the good news!!!

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

Charlotte Observer Article:
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...just-need.html

I think its a great idea but I could definitely see the NBA hesitate and not do it because it could be confusing to NBA fans outside of Charlotte and New Orleans. But I love the idea!
    Welcome to HR!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Before I opened the page I was like "Ugh not this topic again". Love the idea of the Hornets name going back. If we did rebrand, I would sincerely hope we offer the name back to Charlotte.

yup we need to rebrand, i also dont mind giving the "Hornets" name back to charlotte..... for a 2012 1st, haha JK

Krewe of New Orleans

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    I am all for it....just convince Utah to give us ours back.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    I am all for it....just convince Utah to give us ours back.
    Unfortunately we all know that will never happen. It is sad because it is such a perfect fit here.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    New Orleans Jazz
    Krewe of New Orleans
    New Orleans Brass
    New Orleans Dog Turds
    New Orleans Hornets.

My ranking of names for our NBA team. I wish we would send the name back to CLT where it belongs. I mean no disrespect to Charlotte but ESPN calls us the Charlotte Hornets often enough. The name just doesn't work here. It would work really well. I'd imagine your list is the same as mine, expect place Hornets at the top, and Bobcats at the bottom.

the Krewe name sucks monkey sacks
    If Wayne is E.T.-ish tell him phone home

Quote Originally Posted by Blaqmoon View Post
    the Krewe name sucks monkey sacks
    Why? At least it has some symbolism to New Orleans. If I recall when the Jazz name was originally selected, the second choice by the public was the Maskers/Masqueraders.

I think I see a rebrand happening within the next 6-7 years. After the new owner moves the team to California. Krewe of Anaheim.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    I've probably grown more attached to the Hornets name than most New Orleanians, so I'm not exactly jumping on the rebrand bandwagon. But if it does happen, I'd absolutely want the name to go back to Charlotte. We know how that feels with the "Jazz" name. I'll sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I've probably grown more attached to the Hornets name than most New Orleanians, so I'm not exactly jumping on the rebrand bandwagon. But if it does happen, I'd absolutely want the name to go back to Charlotte. I'll sign.
    It's not most. It's a vocal minority here and on a couple boards. As those same folks tend ti say: no one cares. Can't have it both ways...

Oh but they would care if if if... there's always excuses that come from the perma-contrarians. They will never be happy and want others as miserable as them.

And they don't like to be disagreed with.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd be glad to give Charlotte back the Hornets name. People keep accidentally saying it any friggin' way. So why not?

The Basketball Krewe of New Orleans. Krewe of New Orleans. New Orleans Krewe.

It's got regional uniqueness just like our grand city.

Killer list, All2Neat! And yes, mine would like something like yours, with B**Cats at the bottom. Only, I wouldn't have Dog Turds so close to B**Cats...seems to me like an affront to Dog Turds

Anyway, yeah...glad to see some of you guys are on board. The petition has been filling up with NOLA folks over the past couple hours, and that's a beautiful thing. Like I said, I feel like it'd work wonders for both towns and their respective fanbases to get a fresh start after a few particularly troubling seasons.

If y'all don't mind sharing the links (and putting a decidedly New Orleans-centric spin on things, of course ), I'd really appreciate it. If we work together, I really feel like this could happen!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    It's not most. It's a vocal minority here and on a couple boards. As those same folks tend ti say: no one cares. Can't have it both ways...

Oh but they would care if if if... there's always excuses that come from the perma-contrarians. They will never be happy and want others as miserable as them.

This...couldn't agree more. If there was a name changed (I could careless if they do it or not) these same people will just find something else to complaint about.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

I wasn't necessarily implying that those who want a rebrand are the majority. I'm just basically assuming that out of those who are okay with/like the Hornets name, I consider myself to be one who likes it more than most. No bragging here... it's almost unhealthy.

Obviously there's no way to prove that. Just how I see it

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'd be glad to give Charlotte back the Hornets name. People keep accidentally saying it any friggin' way. So why not?

The Basketball Krewe of New Orleans. Krewe of New Orleans. New Orleans Krewe.

It's got regional uniqueness just like our grand city.
    and we could then refer to the arena as the Krewe's Quarters....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Why? At least it has some symbolism to New Orleans. If I recall when the Jazz name was originally selected, the second choice by the public was the Maskers/Masqueraders.
    IMO The Hornets symbolize NOLA every time they step out on the court. As everyone knows im anti rebranding but if they have to change names The Masqueraders is ok and so it the Rhythm. The Krewe name though is straight trash, why not call them New Orleans French Quarter since most people think thats the only street here in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I wasn't necessarily implying that those who want a rebrand are the majority. I'm just basically assuming that out of those who are okay with/like the Hornets name, I consider myself to be one who likes it more than most. No bragging here... it's almost unhealthy.

Obviously there's no way to prove that. Just how I see it
    I was just looking at "most". There are many ways to get a sense of the movement... look for new outlets, proponents, and data. Look at people who purchase jerseys and branded items. Lots of data out there. It's an owner's whim and willingness to spend money to do (to the NBA).

IMO The Hornets symbolize NOLA every time they step out on the court. As everyone knows im anti rebranding but if they have to change names The Masqueraders is ok and so it the Rhythm. The Krewe name though is straight trash, why not call them New Orleans French Quarter since most people think thats the only street here in New Orleans.
    Rhythm is not bad. Krewe symbolizes Mardi Gras, so that is OK with me. If they stayed the Hornets, I could live with that as well. Personally, I wish they would have rebranded when they moved here like OKC did so that we could start fresh and develop our own team/name.

i wish they would have rebranded then too so i dont have to see so many threads about it

i wish they would have rebranded then too so i dont have to see so many threads about it
    The funny thing is that being a lurker for a while and then becoming a member of HR, I have not seen anyone mention anything about Rebranding in the past until Harvey brought it up recently. He kept bringing it up at every possibility he had and now most on here want a rebrand. Everday there is a Rebrand thread on here. I bet if you combine all of these rebrand threads you will see the same people with the same stuff they posted in previous Rebrand threads. I can careless if they Rebrand or not I am just happy to have a NBA franchise in my city.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelos View Post
    The funny thing is that being a lurker for a while and then becoming a member of HR, I have not seen anyone mention anything about Rebranding in the past until Harvey brought it up recently. He kept bringing it up at every possibility he had and now most on here want a rebrand. Everday there is a Rebrand thread on here. I bet if you combine all of these rebrand threads you will see the same people with the same stuff they posted in previous Rebrand threads. I can careless if they Rebrand or not I am just happy to have a NBA franchise in my city.
    hmm i think you might have a point about HH, he definitely was negative in the end of his run here.

Thread Information