Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: just relax...its gonna be ok.

just relax...its gonna be ok.

The outcome of tonight's game SUCKS but keep in mind

1: we're coming off a back to back
    2: we played a damn good good Mavs team without 3 of our starters
    3: we are 5-1 in a six game span (not bad considering we didnt have AD during that span)

The only thing that disappointed me tonight was the way the game was called by the refs....absolutely terrible

exactly, we played well for most of the game, just got killed by one dry spell. I think we fought as hard as could be expected
    never assume

I can't wrap my head around people complaining about tonight. I simply can't.
    @mcnamara247

Honestly I want to make excuses but good teams find a way to win these type of games. These important games with playoff implications against teams they are chasing.

Portland went into triple overtime and then buried us the following night.

Good teams find a way. Have we won a single set of back 2 backs all season?

When the going gets tough a couple of players on this team, one in particular, just bury our chances with the most boneheaded possessions.

Tonight wasn't all on him. Monty honestly deserves some blame here for not recognizing his lineup wasn't working sooner. But its not all on him either. This was a group loss. We came out flat in the third while the Mavs came out hungry. This team just completely forgot what was keeping pace in the first half and couldn't execute in the third. And by the time we made some smart adjustments(despite some selfish possessions) it was too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Honestly I want to make excuses but good teams find a way to win these type of games. These important games with playoff implications against teams they are chasing.

Portland went into triple overtime and then buried us the following night.

Good teams find a way. Have we won a single set of back 2 backs all season?

When the going gets tough a couple of players on this team, one in particular, just bury our chances with the most boneheaded possessions.

Tonight wasn't all on him. Monty honestly deserves some blame here for not recognizing his lineup wasn't working sooner. But its not all on him either. This was a group loss. We came out flat in the third while the Mavs came out hungry. This team just completely forgot what was keeping pace in the first half and couldn't execute in the third. And by the time we made some smart adjustments(despite some selfish possessions) it was too little too late.
    I mean I woudn't expect Dallas to win 6 in row without say Ellis, Dirk, and Harris. We've found a way to go 5-1, no complaints here

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I can't wrap my head around people complaining about tonight. I simply can't.

I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to lose.

Why are people flipping out?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Maybe its just me but i swear we have been getting the short end of the stick when it comes to fouls called against us and the tons of foul calls not given to us.....wats really going on????

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    I mean I woudn't expect Dallas to win 6 in row without say Ellis, Dirk, and Harris. We've found a way to go 5-1, no complaints here
    If we came out flat and played hard all game but just came up short I wouldn't either. Or if we just looked gassed from the get go I wouldn't of minded.

But Dallas was without two of their biggest players and we came out red hot.

We honestly played just fine for the first 2 quarters and then the last quarter. We lost our composure in the 3rd and the start of the 4th.

To me it is the difference between a veteran team and a team still going through the trials of youth. Same goes for coach.

It's frustrating because you see 5 games where they seem like they are taking another step forward only to regress at a critical time tonight.

I mean I expect it on the one hand but it is still a bit demoralizing because deep down you want to see this team make the playoffs but even deeper down I pretty much know we aren't ready to do that and tonight is an example as to why. Even if Davis is on the court we would of still needed our guards to create for him but as we have seen all season, when the going gets a little too tough, they revert to bad habits instead of working together.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-02-2015 at 10:42 PM.

To be fair, we went on a streak against bad teams. We lost to a playoff team. We live, we laugh, we lose.

If we came out flat and played hard all game but just came up short I wouldn't either. Or if we just looked gassed from the get go I wouldn't of minded.

We honestly played just fine for the first 2 quarters and then the last quarter. We lost our composure in the 3rd and the start of the 4th.

To me it is the difference between a veteran team and a team still going through the trials of youth. Same goes for coach.

It's frustrating because you see 5 games where they seem like they are taking another step forward only to regress at a critical time tonight.

I mean I expect it on the one hand but it is still a bit demoralizing because deep down you want to see this team make the playoffs but even deeper down I pretty much know we aren't ready to do that and tonight is an example as to why.
    yea idk why but I still hold out hope to have a shooters chance at the playoffs, and losses like these suck when you can't play a consistent 4 quarters, but I can still see improvement, I think 3rd quarters like that where we just fall apart are becoming more scarce and our 4th quarter defense seems to be getting better (one thing I hated earlier in the season was that we seemed to have no sense of urgency). I can see us becoming a playoff team, maybe just not in time this year.

I mean I expect it on the one hand but it is still a bit demoralizing because deep down you want to see this team make the playoffs but even deeper down I pretty much know we aren't ready to do that and tonight is an example as to why.
    yea idk why but I still hold out hope to have a shooters chance at the playoffs, and losses like these suck when you can't play a consistent 4 quarters, but I can still see improvement, I think 3rd quarters like that where we just fall apart are becoming more scarce and our 4th quarter defense seems to be getting better (one thing I hated earlier in the season was that we seemed to have no sense of urgency). I can see us becoming a playoff team, maybe just not in time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to lose.

Why are people flipping out?
    Because they are starting to really think playoffs, and this hurts that. Why I have been saying - get playoffs out of your mind. Focus on other things. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.

I think people saw us go on a 4 game win streak and thought it was a sign of things to come, but they were forgetting that we were beating bad teams. We weren't necessarily Mike Tyson, but our competition was only a step above the Rail Car Circuit.

I see improvement too. I think Evans has taken a few steps forward this season and Gordon is becoming a player that if healthy I would want as our starting 2 guard going forward. Ajinca is making a strong case right now and Cole is probably the backup we have been looking for.

Weren't good teams supposed to beat bad teams? And weren't contenders supposed to beat good teams? Dallas might not be a contender, but they're still ahead of us, so no reason to be upset or surprised. We're evolving as an organization, as a coaching staff and as a team. Our time will come, and we still have that Davis dude that, by the way, I heard is still pretty young.

Thought we played pretty well honestly. Can't believe people are upset. Can't win them all. Asik was my only disappointment and he was apparently not 100%. Should have dominated the glass with TC out and paint D was not good tonight. 3 game home stand coming up though.

I hate when when why things like "good teams find a way to wins these games." Yeah sometimes, but does every team go undefeated? The Warriors lost to the Nets tonight. We dropped a game, not that big of a deal. And if you blame Monty for this loss you're downright insane.
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 03-02-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Amazing that people cannot feel good about the team without someone coming here to tell you that you should not do that. If people want to think their hometown team has a shot at the playoffs, so be it. It is what hometown fans strive for and what they buy tickets for - that hope for success.

Yeah I'm good with this loss, i don't think we will make the playoffs and i accept that to be not the end of the world. We are like a SF and healthy roster away from being a playoff team which is good enough to me. For the first time since CP left town things look up.

I would go as far as that: we're a healthy season away from being a playoff team, a good SF away from being a serious threat, and a 24 year old AD away from being title contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Amazing that people cannot feel good about the team without someone coming here to tell you that you should not do that. If people want to think their hometown team has a shot at the playoffs, so be it. It is what hometown fans strive for and what they buy tickets for - that hope for success.
    Hope for success, yes. But don't flip out when your team does't win every single game.

Focus on process, not results. You can control effort, not results. This team can control how hard they play, how much they care, etc. Not whether they make the playoffs.

I mean, its a bummer they lost but Im proud they went 5-1 without the big guns. No reason to by upset
    Jrue dat

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Because they are starting to really think playoffs, and this hurts that. Why I have been saying - get playoffs out of your mind. Focus on other things. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
    I've never understood this train of thought. As a coach i don't think i would approach the rest of the season this way. i wouldn't tell my players this. as an organization i wouldn't tell my fans this. I'm hoping and praying we make the playoffs. i'll take the pain of not making the playoffs over not even considering it a possibility, every time.

focus on what exactly? Shouldn't the focus be on making the playoffs? I'm pretty sure that's what the team is trying to do. Help me understand why i should be preaching to other fans not to get your hopes up about the playoffs.

More like without dirk, Ellis, and parsons. Their best 3 players basically. Some people are just irrational. It's ridiculous,

Quote Originally Posted by AKpelicanfried View Post
    I've never understood this train of thought. As a coach i don't think i would approach the rest of the season this way. i wouldn't tell my players this. as an organization i wouldn't tell my fans this. I'm hoping and praying we make the playoffs. i'll take the pain of not making the playoffs over not even considering it a possibility, every time.

focus on what exactly? Shouldn't the focus be on making the playoffs? I'm pretty sure that's what the team is trying to do. Help me understand why i should be preaching to other fans not to get your hopes up about the playoffs.
    LOL...I agree 100%. I'm expecting and hoping playoffs. Doesn't mean the worlds gonna end if we don't make it. We are absolutely legitametly in the race for the 7-8 seed. So why would we not be rooting for the playoffs?? Yea I don't get that at all.

I came to the conclusion that MM prides himself on being an philosophical enigma, and I have accepted it. Once people accept as well, then things would flow better here.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information