Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Gameday Thread: Hornets @ Hawks

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I am not quite the pessimist that da Throne usually seems to be, but he and do agree on at least one thing....Gordon will obviously help matters, but this team will struggle scoring the ball at times....preseason or not, there are several guys who better start doing a better job of putting the ball in the basket when they have the chance....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

The hornets WILL hit the reset button for the regular season!!! Cue XV !!

I LOVE THIS SONG
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Dang. Milwaukee was the only team to not get stomped tonite.

Pretty tuff game. The 3rd quarter was especially brutal to hear.
    "This Game is Rigged Man" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus : The Wire Season 4 EP 13

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I know Gordon will help in the regular season.

New Orleans Hornets rookie Anthony Davis shows offensive strengths in 97-68 loss to Atlanta Hawks

Atlanta -- Known for his tremendous defensive skills, New Orleans Hornets rookie power forward Anthony Davis is showing in the preseason that he can emerge as a dominant scoring threat. In Thursday night’s 97-68 preseason loss to the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena, Davis made his first six shots and had 15 points by halftime before finishing with a game-high 19 points on eight-of-11 shooting.

But Hornets Coach Monty Williams said Davis needs more offensive help from his teammates. With starting shooting guard Eric Gordon missing his fifth consecutive preseason game with a sore right knee and power forward Jason Smith out with a shoulder injury, Davis couldn't save the Hornets from a third-quarter disaster. In the quarter, the Hornets were outscored 26-7 after making only 2-of-19 shots from the field and they trailed by 20 after going into halftime with the score tied at 40.

For nearly the entire quarter, the Hornets stopped running their offense through Davis and kept putting up errant shots late in the shot clock and struggled to get back in transition to defend the Hawks' quick shooters.

"He (Davis) played OK and hit some shots and was active,'' Williams said. "Anthony needs help getting into his sets, we're not getting a lot of execution offensively. This is a man's game and our young guys are starting to realize that man are playing it.''
    Davis, 6 feet 10, 220 pounds, who led Kentucky to a national championship last season, didn't appear rattled by the Hawks' more experienced frontline that included fifth-year veteran center Al Horford and eight-year veteran power forward Josh Smith. Most of Davis' first-half scoring came against Smith and Horford. Smith started the game defending Davis before Horford switched on him.

"If a play is designed for me, I just hav to execute it as best as I can,'' Davis said. "We have other guys that can score the ball, so I'm not just trying to go out there trying to look for my shot.

"My offensive game is not where I want it to be, but tonight that wouldn't matter because we lost. That's always most important. I think in the second half we just stopped playing and they getting easy buckets in transition. We just weren't getting back.''
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

I can't wait to see a full rotation. Hopefully game 1. Imagine running the offense through Gordon, Davis, or Vasquez at any point? It'd be pretty hard to stop.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Also, this sums up the night pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    New Orleans Hornets rookie Anthony Davis shows offensive strengths in 97-68 loss to Atlanta Hawks

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Maybe the Hawks aren't a great litmus test, but Spidey was surprising on the offense end tonight. I've always thought he might struggle with the increased size he's facing in the NBA, but he was very assured tonight. He could come along more quickly than advertised.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Thread Information