Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If we don't like something why wouldn't we complain? I'll admit personally I think some are going over board if they are saying they won't continue to support the team. However people are well within there rights to say and feel how ever they want about a team they'll be expected to support finacially. People choose to support or not support teams for all kinds of reasons and as you can tell from all the out of market fans a lot of time they based it on the brand of the team.
    You're going in a slightly different direction here. I never said anyone can't complain. Or anyone can't feel a certain way. Some people can and will complain about everything. The grass is too green, the sky is too blue. Along the same lines, there is no reason I can't point out how the complaints are off base. There is nothing wrong with green grass, blue skies are pretty.

Most everyone is simply complaining because it's not their favorite. That's silly. To even bring up not cheering for the team anymore because of the name, well that's assinine.

If they had come out with dog poop as the name, then maybe I could understand most of the responses in this thread. But our state bird? I'm just asking for perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    I'm in for whatever the name changes to and believe the Pelicans is ok with the right logo and color scheme. The logo in PH's avatar is not bad.

It is funny that some will wear a "bee" but not a Pelican though...
    Whether it's smart or dumb. I think people react to established things better than non-established things. Meaning it was easier to accept the Hornets because the franchise was already the Hornets. Had we started the franchise in New Orleans and somebody mentioned naming them the Hornets they would be getting the same reaction if not worse than Pelicans. My biggest problem with the name Pelicans is that it sounds clumsy saying it. Some names just roll of the tongue Pelicans just isn't one of those names for me. I'd do Krewe, Serge, K/Nights well before Pelicans and none of those listed names are my favorite.

My love and support for the team won't change because of the name... but as a born and raised New Orleanian, that cares about MY city, then I've earned the right to ***** and moan about the name of the team that's representing MY city.

I'll still love them... I just hate the name. Don't see what's so wrong about that. just because other teams have jacked up names doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    You're going in a slightly different direction here. I never said anyone can't complain. Or anyone can't feel a certain way. Some people can and will complain about everything. The grass is too green, the sky is too blue. Along the same lines, there is no reason I can't point out how the complaints are off base. There is nothing wrong with green grass, blue skies are pretty.

Most everyone is simply complaining because it's not their favorite. That's silly. To even bring up not cheering for the team anymore because of the name, well that's assinine.

If they had come out with dog poop as the name, then maybe I could understand most of the responses in this thread. But our state bird? I'm just asking for perspective.
    How do you know they don't just strongly dislike the name Pelicans? I am one of those people who already know the team will not be named my top choose "Sinners" and am fully prepared to drape myself in team appearl not named "Sinners" or "Souls"(my 2nd favorite). However I have a really tough time imagining embracing "Pelicans". So I'm expressing that feeling. Not because I just won't be satisfied, but because I just strongly dislike the name.

My goodness.

PS- da Throne....

I was commenting on the general feel and tone of the thread. Don't take my response as saying nothing is valid.

I completely agree that the alliteration of New Orleans Pelicans is lacking. As I said, my choice would be Krewe.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    How do you know they don't just strongly dislike the name Pelicans? I am one of those people who already know the team will not be named my top choose "Sinners" and am fully prepared to drape myself in team appearl not named "Sinners" or "Souls"(my 2nd favorite). However I have a really tough time imagining embracing "Pelicans". So I'm expressing that feeling. Not because I just won't be satisfied, but because I just strongly dislike the name.
    I can't wait to see you one day in a Pelicans #23 jersey.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Don't hold your breathe. My first and last NOLA basketball jersey was a Chris Paul jersey. And that's because he was my favorite college player his 2 years at Wake Forest. As far as buying gear I'm sure the color scheme and logo will have a lot to say about it. I just dread having to say "Im a Pel-li-cans fan" or "Who dat say they gon beat them Pel-li-cans". Other than that it's whatever.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Pelicans has grown on me. Its unique, fits the state, and is a bit goofy (to me, now in a good way) and endearing.

I really think that tweet was around the same time as the others or before. I don't think they HAVE any info.
    Yeah, still nothing posted.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    My goodness.
    My bad Hunny. I should have let everyone get it off their chest, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    My bad Hunny. I should have let everyone get it off their chest, lol.

You didn't do anything wrong. I'm just tripping out on this thread.

Would love to see.

One thing you have to admit is it's fun to use Pelican pictures. Just waiting for my chance to use:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gonna-Feel-That-Tomorrow-finding-nemo-1076458_587_397.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	4367
    Last edited by Spaniard; 10-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Fantastic!
    The joys of MS PAINT! Even tried to use "creole blue" for the text.....

I really think that tweet was around the same time as the others or before. I don't think they HAVE any info.
    The info has mostly benn laid out in fora etc.

The post is written, awaiting some calls to come back, proof, maybe a little more research.

There's not much that has not been said, but getting it out with correct info (there has been misinformation on this board) is nore important (to me) than getting it out nownownow when much of it is already public.

Post up tomorrow regardless. It'd be today if it wasn't a game day. Don't expect some secret knowledge about the 'truth'. We don't have it at this time and don't plan on getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The info has mostly benn laid out in fora etc.

The post is written, awaiting some calls to come back, proof, maybe a little more research.

There's not much that has not been said, but getting it out with correct info (there has been misinformation on this board) is nore important (to me) than getting it out nownownow when much of it is already public.

Post up tomorrow regardless. It'd be today if it wasn't a game day. Don't expect some secret knowledge about the 'truth'. We don't have it at this time and don't plan on getting it.
    Oh I understand that Oz, but the tweets kinda made it out otherwise. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    naw man... the caption should be "sad pelican is sad"

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Pelicans rock.

ooooh this seasons gifs may end up being better then last seasons tank pics. lol

I didn't tweet, but they looked pretty matter of fact to me. Looks like a case of eager reader.

I will yell you that the main reason the post was not out Tuesday or Wednesday was that I was setting up for Hornets247 that will start to see the light of day in a week or two. Let's not chicken count yet, but it should be good.

Thread Information