Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Per Woj: Solomon Hill torn hammy will miss much of the season {merged}

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Nope! May be able to collect some insurance money but that doesn't help with the cap/tax/apron.
    I was reading DPE and if I'm reading it right they'd have MLE amount (5 mill since they aren't in luxury) or 50% of salary whichever is least. I'm not sure how it counts against the cap. The only issue is Hill won't be out all year so I don't think we could use it on him. If we could have, we could have given it all to Cunningham for one year.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Kelly Oubre !��
    Would be nice so would Stanley Johnson or TJ Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    This team didn't do nearly enough in the offseason. Now losing players. I really doubt we have any chance at a playoff seed in the West. At the very very best an 8th seed MAYBE. Next season will begin without Dell and coach staff and Cousins will most likely leave. Oh and I'm sure along the way during this season Dell will trade next years #1 pick so the new GM and coach will be doomed at the beginning. Not promising forecast at this time but things possibly can change hopefully!!!
    Allow me to just restate what was lost so we can all get on the same page of rationality before proceeding any further:

Solomon Hill: 29.7min 7.0pt (.527TS%) 3.8reb 1.8ast 0.9ast 0.4blk 1.0TO 8.0PER

The 8.0PER was #326 of 342 NBA players to play in at least 41 games last year.

Lest anybody make the mistake of thinking this was at all out of character for Hill over his career:

Career Hill: 23.5min 6.4pt (.520TS%) 3.3reb 1.6ast 0.7ast 0.3blk 1.0TO 9.5PER

Meanwhile Matt Barnes, just to take a well known name, is sitting out on the market with these averages from last year, and over his career:

Barnes 16-17: 24.0min 7.1pt (.514TS%) 5.2reb 2.6ast 0.6ast 0.4blk 1.4TO 10.3PER
    Barnes Career: 23.6min 8.2pt (.542TS%) 4.6reb 1.8ast 0.8ast 0.5blk 1.4TO 12.7PER

Meaning that you could literally sign unemployed guys off the street as productive as Solo, for about $10 mil less. There's no reason besides cheapness for this to be any kind of major loss.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It has nothing to do with confidence in Qpon or Miller. They can be extremely comfortable with both but still want to hedge their bets. Qpon hasn't played in 2 years and Miller is just coming back from Europe.

Makes sense they'd want to bring 1 more player in.
    I have an idea! & it's original ! 🙄🙄🙄. Let's sign Dante Cunningham.🤔🤔

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Allow me to just restate what was lost so we can all get on the same page of rationality before proceeding any further:

Lest anybody make the mistake of thinking this was at all out of character for Hill over his career:

Meanwhile Matt Barnes, just to take a well known name, is sitting out on the market with these averages from last year, and over his career:

Barnes Career: 23.6min 8.2pt (.542TS%) 4.6reb 1.8ast 0.8ast 0.5blk 1.4TO 12.7PER

Meaning that you could literally sign unemployed guys off the street as productive as Solo, for about $10 mil less. There's no reason besides cheapness for this to be any kind of major loss.
    Why on earth would you waste all of that time posting per game offensive stats for a defensive player, lol. So strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Why on earth would you waste all of that time posting per game offensive stats for a defensive player, lol. So strange.
    You better be Bruce Bowen if you are putting up crap like that.

I have an idea! & it's original ! ������. Let's sign Dante Cunningham.����
    Exactly. Of all the options available, he seems like the best fit. Familiarity/continuity with the system and players/coaches, D-first with 3pt range now, solid frame 3/4 type to cover the big SF's. Stretch or trade Asik to clear room to offer Dante a fair contract.

I think the Pel's need to bite the bullet and part with their 2018 pick.

Now that they have lost Solo other GM's will see that this pick will be even worse than they first thought.

I think we should try and trade for Wil Barton, Terrance Ross, Covington, Justin Anderson or TJ Warren.

I'd even consider Asik, Ajinca and a first for Evan Turner at this stage lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I think the Pel's need to bite the bullet and part with their 2018 pick.

Now that they have lost Solo other GM's will see that this pick will be even worse than they first thought.

I think we should try and trade for Wil Barton, Terrance Ross, Covington, Justin Anderson or TJ Warren.

I'd even consider Asik, Ajinca and a first for Evan Turner at this stage lol.
    Are you kidding? Evan Turner? We need to create space and re-sign Cunningham. There is no need to get desperate and throw away a first round pick to create more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Because defense players aren't worth 50+ million dollar. Especially one that can't even guard top 20 players. He is useless.

Lotsa like numbers, but specious logic. Matt Barnes was NOT a starter and was not asked to guard the opponents best scorers every night. So, though your numbers seem mirrored, they are not equivalent! That's like saying Tulane has the same stats as LSU, therefore it would be a competitive game! SOLO is a BIG loss.��

Q Pon, Ajinca, and a protected 1st for Garrett Temple works. He could give you 80% of Solo's defense as well as a 37% 3 point shooter last year. We would still need to bring in a backup 4, but Temple works as the fill in 2/3 until Solo gets back, then provides nice depth as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Q Pon, Ajinca, and a protected 1st for Garrett Temple works. He could give you 80% of Solo's defense as well as a 37% 3 point shooter last year. We would still need to bring in a backup 4, but Temple works as the fill in 2/3 until Solo gets back, then provides nice depth as a backup.
    What? No way I would give up any 1st for Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What? No way I would give up any 1st for Temple.
    You might be surprised. I watched a lot of Temple last year and he's the real deal. Not only a really strong and active defender, but a great glue guy and team leader.

Problem is that the Kings probably won't give him up right now because he's like their favorite vet leader to mentor those kids. When he's a free agent he's a guy that absolutely should be looked up however.

Lotsa like numbers, but specious logic. Matt Barnes was NOT a starter and was not asked to guard the opponents best scorers every night. So, though your numbers seem mirrored, they are not equivalent! That's like saying Tulane has the same stats as LSU, therefore it would be a competitive game! SOLO is a BIG loss.��
    Ignoring for a moment that Matt Barnes has spent his whole career as exactly the guy you described, he is getting older and losing lateral quickness and now is better defensively as a 3/4 than a 2/3. So how about some dude named Tony Allen? Also sitting out there unsigned.

Solo is too minor a figure to be some sort of devastating season-ending loss unless the team simply decides not to respond to it. There are numerous potential options that can make contributions within that same range until he gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Because defense players aren't worth 50+ million dollar. Especially one that can't even guard top 20 players. He is useless.
    Based on what? Have you even looked at Hill's defensive numbers?

If anyone believes that Tony Allen, Matt Barnes, or Garret Temple are 95% of what Solo is I won't argue with you, but you should definitely be advocating for Dell to be fired for financially handicapping the franchise with Solo's massive deal on top of Ajinca and Asik's.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    If anyone believes that Tony Allen, Matt Barnes, or Garret Temple are 95% of what Solo is I won't argue with you, but you should definitely be advocating for Dell to be fired for financially handicapping the franchise with Solo's massive deal on top of Ajinca and Asik's.
    I think it's kind of a given that Dell would not still be the GM if he had not pulled off the Cousins trade.

You might be surprised. I watched a lot of Temple last year and he's the real deal. Not only a really strong and active defender, but a great glue guy and team leader.

Problem is that the Kings probably won't give him up right now because he's like their favorite vet leader to mentor those kids. When he's a free agent he's a guy that absolutely should be looked up however.
    Seen enough of him. He's a good player but not one that I would give up a 1st rounder for him. I would consider him in free agency on the right deal.

Based on what? Have you even looked at Hill's defensive numbers?
    How in Gods green earth did we let Dante's FA goes this far? Now, Minny has inside track on signing him ! He was certainly more pressing than Ian Clark .

How in Gods green earth did we let Dante's FA goes this far? Now, Minny has inside track on signing him ! He was certainly more pressing than Ian Clark .
    Minny doesn't have inside track, they can only offer the same deal we can. They are just attempting to steal him over.

Unless they figure out a way to sweeten the offer, I don't see him going there. We can offer more playing time in a system he is familiar with, with a team that gave him a 2nd chance.

Minny doesn't have inside track, they can only offer the same deal we can. They are just attempting to steal him over.

Unless they figure out a way to sweeten the offer, I don't see him going there. We can offer more playing time in a system he is familiar with, with a team that gave him a 2nd chance.
    Is that what you took from Woj's tweet? I didn't!

Is that what you took from Woj's tweet? I didn't!
    Then you didn't look hard enough. Dante is trying to get the absolute most he can. Of course they are going to play up Minny interest to try to get us to offer more.

Unless Dante absolutely hates us here, minny is a worse fit for only the same money.

Then you didn't look hard enough. Dante is trying to get the absolute most he can. Of course they are going to play up Minny interest to try to get us to offer more.

Unless Dante absolutely hates us here, minny is a worse fit for only the same money.
    So, what exactly do we have to offer him? Either way, all of this farting around w/ an essential piece makes ZERO sense.

So, what exactly do we have to offer him? Either way, all of this farting around w/ an essential piece makes ZERO sense.
    We can clear cap space and offer more than the minimum.

Thread Information