Thread: Southwest Division Advanced Stats

Southwest Division Advanced Stats

New Orleans Hornets

Record: 21-45
    Pace: 90.7 (30)
    OffRtg: 98.3 (26)
    DefRtg: 102.3 (16)
    NetRtg: -4.0 (24)

There are a few reasons to be bullish on the Hornets this season.

First and foremost, they have the one rookie -- Anthony Davis -- who can make a real impact right away, even if it's just on defense. Second, coach Monty Williams seemingly got the most out of a depleted roster last season. Third, they were pretty good (+5.2 net rating), especially offensively, in Eric Gordon's limited minutes last year.

Finally, new addition Ryan Anderson has come to prove that he doesn't need to be playing next to Dwight Howard to be effective. Over the last two seasons, Anderson's effective field-goal percentage with Howard on the floor (55.5 percent) was only slightly higher than with Howard on the bench (54.8 percent).

The most interesting question in New Orleans could be who gets the bulk of the minutes at point guard. Austin Rivers was taken with a lottery pick, but doesn't have the skill set of a true point, and the Grizzlies weren't so bad (-0.4 net rating) with Greivis Vasquez on the floor last season.

They were even better when Vazquez was on the floor with Al-Farouq Aminu, who should be the Hornets' starting small forward after New Orleans dealt Trevor Ariza to Washington. In 906 minutes with both Vasquez and Aminu on the floor, the Hornets were a plus-22 and allowed just 98.5 points per 100 possessions.

If you put those two together with Davis, that's a pretty good defensive lineup. Throw in Gordon and Anderson and the Hornets can score. There are a lot of other questions, but the numbers say that the Hornets could be competitive just a season after trading away Chris Paul.
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...dvanced-stats/

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Good article, except I hope the writer realizes that Vasquez was with us all last year.

"and the Grizzlies weren't so bad (-0.4 net rating) with Greivis Vasquez on the floor last season"

I'm buying Aminu's defense.

I'm selling Vasquez's.

GV: Prove me wrong, bubba.

Be careful when interpreting those stats and numbers. They do not take into account the competition on the floor.

I think the team can compete for the eighth slot in the West if they stay relatively healthy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I'm buying Aminu's defense.

I'm selling Vasquez's.

GV: Prove me wrong, bubba.
    There are 2 types of defense. Vasquez plays great team defense (which is what the guy in the article is referencing), but he isn't a great 1-1 defender because he lacks the lateral foot speed.

I'm buying Aminu's defense too, as well as his rebounding. That is a lot of length, defense, and athleticism between Aminu, Davis, and Lopez.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Yes indeed! Be very careful how to read into those numbers.The goal is to eventually be able to compete with the best 7 teams you play against. I look forward to charting the progress some individuals and the team as a whole.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

It's interesting that lineups with Vasquez/Aminu performed so relatively well last year, and that's enough minutes together that you can't totally write it off. I'm more optimistic about Vasquez as a starter than most. Having a transformative help defender in Davis is going to really helpful in hiding his lack of mobility defensively, and his size is a great match with Gordon in the backcourt. He's not a bad defender; while he can't stay in front of quicker guards, he isn't Derek Fisher out there, and he plays with effort and intelligence on that end. In the NBA, that's enough to not be a liability. If he can get his shot to fall like it did in international play, I think he can be a really pleasant surprise as a starter.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's the X factors that got me giddy. We've added so many new pieces, it could all fall apart or it could explode into something excellent. But I'm betting something closer to the good extreme is what happens. I mean, Monty got a LOT out of a little before. Now he's got a LOT. What's he gonna gt out of this group?

I can see it now. Vasquez brings the ball up. Passes to Gordon. Davis sets a pick, but instead of rolling he immediately slips it and the D is outta position. Gordon attacks the opening he has. D collapses. Gordon kicks out to Anderson for a wide open 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I can see it now. Vasquez brings the ball up. Passes to Gordon. Davis sets a pick, but instead of rolling he immediately slips it and the D is outta position. Gordon attacks the opening he has. D collapses. Gordon kicks out to Anderson for a wide open 3.
    While Aminu stands in the other corner, thinking about stuff.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Back door cut towards the hoop getting ready for a pass or getting into rebounding position.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hopefully Aminu sticks to slashing. He's ony out there for defense mostly anyway. That and to run the floor. Dude is still a friggin' thoroughbred.

Thread Information