Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sources: Kings moving to Virgina a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    I don't think Virginia Beach would even get approved if this was even a possibility. NBA would probably rather have a team in K.C. or Seattle
    I think the NBA would do better in Virginia compared to KC since that is the only game in town while KC has a MLS team, Royals, and Chiefs. Its a small market that would struggle in the NBA.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I think the NBA would do better in Virginia compared to KC since that is the only game in town while KC has a MLS team, Royals, and Chiefs. Its a small market that would struggle in the NBA.
    I don't know about that. There are a lot of Jayhawk fans that would love to have an NBA team in the state

I don't know about that. There are a lot of Jayhawk fans that would love to have an NBA team in the state
    Not really. They just care about the Jayhawks. At least most do.

Put its up to KC to support the team and it likely won't happen since the Royals, Chiefs, and Sporting KC are there. Not enough of a market to support the 3 big sports. The NBA model isn't suited for them. Hockey would be better.

Not really. They just care about the Jayhawks. At least most do.

Put its up to KC to support the team and it likely won't happen since the Royals, Chiefs, and Sporting KC are there. Not enough of a market to support the 3 big sports. The NBA model isn't suited for them. Hockey would be better.
    if not KC then probably Seattle

if not KC then probably Seattle
    Only one problem... Seattle is light years away from building arena. That arena plan they have is a joke.

I disagree. The northern VA came awefully close to getting a MLB team in Norfolk 7 years ago and most Major Leagues have been eager to tap an untapped market. There is a rich ABA history there. If the Kings don't land there some major league franchise will test that market.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I just got back from Virginia Beach the other week and I really didn't think much about it. I highly doubt they would support an NBA team

?? The Virginia Beach area is a very, very large market.

That said, this is not gonna happen, just typical threatening/leveraging from an NBA owner trying to hold his city hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxbama View Post
    I graduated HS from Va Beach. If this goes through, they should do fine. Hampton Roads has a population between 1.5-2 million. (OKC pop is like 500k). They have a AAA baseball team and a minor league (AAA equivalent) hockey team that just won the chamionship. Both teams have great fan support.

The only thing that would worry me is the proposed stadium location, which would be literally where the interstate ends (going one way). Not really ideal.
    Not to mention Virginia is in the middle of ACC country. There are UNC and Duke B-ball fans all over VA. There would be plenty of people willing to support an NBA team, as well as tourists to buy tix for the visiting teams.

All that being said, I'll only believe this when I hear something official. Rumors spawn like bunnies when it comes to NBA relocation.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

You will see a MAJOR League franchise in Northern Virginia within the next 5-10 years. It prolly won't be the Kings who in my opinion won't leave the west coast. But the market itself is perfect for somebody. High Income and No competition, very similar to San Antonio and OKC. A very shrewd move by the maloofs.

Why Virginia? Bring a NBA back to Baltimore. At least they won a title here. We have a HUGE basketball following here and TONS of talent coming from the city also. A lot of people here love basketball but are not willing to take the drive to DC to watch the Capital Bullets I meant Washington Wizards.

Ugh, teaming up with Comcast and Live Nation to build an arena, I don't know know if I despise any two companies more. Little did I know they were in on the rip-off together. That being said, I still think it makes more sense than Anaheim. In the end though, I hope they remain in Sacramento, some small market camaraderie.

Quote Originally Posted by smittywerb View Post
    Why Virginia? Bring a NBA back to Baltimore. At least they won a title here. We have a HUGE basketball following here and TONS of talent coming from the city also. A lot of people here love basketball but are not willing to take the drive to DC to watch the Capital Bullets I meant Washington Wizards.
    Don't see any way the Wizards would allow that.

1. Let it be known that I want the Kings to stay in Sacramento. They can be successful there under the right ownership, and no fan base should have to see its team move unless there's no alternative.

2. The KC sports situation is unique. Both the Chiefs and Royals play in Independence, which is quite a long way from downtown, especially in game traffic. Sporting KC (MLS soccer) plays WAY far from downtown. The Sprint Center (new arena) is right in the middle of downtown next to a successful new night life district. The NBA could be very successful in that location, despite the perceived market saturation.

KU and MU basketball are VERY popular in KC. If a KC NBA team kept a couple of players from those teams in stock, I think it could be huge.

I was stationed in Va beach for 5 years, and after putting in thought I can say that I think they would succeed there. Its not just Va beach though, It's all the Seven cities there ( Va beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth, etc .) Let alone Richmond and Northern North Carolina by extension. The Admirals and the Tide, both at 5,000 a game, ( Minor league hockey and Baseball ) is ok attendance by minor league standards, so I expect They can fill a Arena easily for a NBA team. Its also a VERY LARGE military community ( Tickets will be discounted for Military Members) , so expect sell outs for the big name teams. Expect a Pro team in the near future if not the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    1. Let it be known that I want the Kings to stay in Sacramento. They can be successful there under the right ownership, and no fan base should have to see its team move unless there's no alternative.

2. The KC sports situation is unique. Both the Chiefs and Royals play in Independence, which is quite a long way from downtown, especially in game traffic. Sporting KC (MLS soccer) plays WAY far from downtown. The Sprint Center (new arena) is right in the middle of downtown next to a successful new night life district. The NBA could be very successful in that location, despite the perceived market saturation.

KU and MU basketball are VERY popular in KC. If a KC NBA team kept a couple of players from those teams in stock, I think it could be huge.
    I still think the market is too saturated for KC. The Royals have been struggling for 20+ years in baseball and the NBA isn't exactly fair to the smaller market. With the Chiefs and Royals in town, I don't see enough fan support long-term for a basketball team in KC and enough financial backing whether its fan support, ownership, or TV money. Unless a superstar landed on the team, the NBA would be almost as bad as struggle as the MLB has become and I'm a diehard Royals fan. This situation is different from OKC and would be different for Virginia since there is no competition outside of college sports. KC is a small market with other major league teams.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar

That's basically like saying Baton Rouge should get an NFL team since a lot of people go to Tiger football games.. College support doesn't translate to pro support. See Memphis.

I still think the market is too saturated for KC. The Royals have been struggling for 20+ years in baseball and the NBA isn't exactly fair to the smaller market. With the Chiefs and Royals in town, I don't see enough fan support long-term for a basketball team in KC and enough financial backing whether its fan support, ownership, or TV money. Unless a superstar landed on the team, the NBA would be almost as bad as struggle as the MLB has become and I'm a diehard Royals fan. This situation is different from OKC and would be different for Virginia since there is no competition outside of college sports. KC is a small market with other major league teams.
    I get what you're saying. I'm not suggesting that KC would be an ideal market, or that there aren't other markets better suited to an NBA team. Just saying that the NBA in KC could potentially work with the right ownership, location, marketing plan, players, etc. Not saying those things are easy, but if the stars aligned, perhaps it could be big.

I'll add that I think the Royals struggle for support so much because MLB is particularly hard on small markets because of its financials. It's just difficult for the Royals to put a winning product on the field. KC was able to support both the Chiefs and Royals back in the '80s when the Royals were winning.

I guess I look at a city like Cleveland, which also has a metro area population of ~2 million and is somehow able to have the Cavs, Browns, and Indians, and think "maybe KC could do that too!"
    Last edited by greewe; 08-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.

^ Have nothing but soul crushing pro teams that do nothing but drive the local populace into depression?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The Royals are a prime example of why baseball needs a salary cap. What make salary cap sport more viable is the ability for small teams to thrive for periods of time.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    Not to mention Virginia is in the middle of ACC country. There are UNC and Duke B-ball fans all over VA.
    ouch.

Long off season Contributor killah's Avatar
    If this goes through, some team from the east is going to have to move into the west. I can't imagine having a team in VA play in the Western Conference.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killah View Post
    If this goes through, some team from the east is going to have to move into the west. I can't imagine having a team in VA play in the Western Conference.
    Good point. Milwaukee maybe?
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Good point. Milwaukee maybe?
    Yeah, Virginia would move to the Southeast, Washington to the Atlantic, Toronto to the Central, Milwaukee to the Northwest, and Portland to the Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    ^ Have nothing but soul crushing pro teams that do nothing but drive the local populace into depression?

I think this maybe a good time for...

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    ouch.
    Sorry, but you know it's true. More often than not, I see as much Duke and Carolina stuff in the sports/department stores as the Cavs.

Thread Information