Pelicans Report

Thread: Ryan Anderson the starter and the reserve

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Ryan Anderson the starter and the reserve

I feel like at some point this has to be brought up, and I guess while it's a small sample size it is still a little alarming.

Ryan Anderson has been blistering as a starter, scoring 18.6 points per game while shooting 43.5% from three and 46.1% from the field. He also grabbed 7.8 rebounds and got to the free throw line 1.4 times per game. All in 35.2 minutes of action.

But as a reserve, Anderson is scoring 16.2 points per game, still a healthy number for a guy not starting the game, but his percentages drop to 34.1% from three and 40.8% from the field. He's grabbing 5.3 rebounds and interestingly enough gets to the free throw line more at 1.9 attempts per game. This is in 29.4 minutes of action.

So as you can see, he's been far more efficient as a starter than a backup. Why is this? I'm sure some people will say "well he's coming off the bench with the likes of Brian Roberts and Roger Mason but as a starter gets to play with Greivis Vasquez and Austin Rivers." While all that may be true, I ask, does it really matter?

So like previously stated it's a small sample size of just 11 games, but at what point does this kind of stand out?

In a couple years when we make our playoff run ad will be our center and ryno our power forward, just give it time, if we could somehow land a legit small forward like Paul George or chandler parsons this team would be devastating

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I feel like at some point this has to be brought up, and I guess while it's a small sample size it is still a little alarming.

Ryan Anderson has been blistering as a starter, scoring 18.6 points per game while shooting 43.5% from three and 46.1% from the field. He also grabbed 7.8 rebounds and got to the free throw line 1.4 times per game. All in 35.2 minutes of action.

But as a reserve, Anderson is scoring 16.2 points per game, still a healthy number for a guy not starting the game, but his percentages drop to 34.1% from three and 40.8% from the field. He's grabbing 5.3 rebounds and interestingly enough gets to the free throw line more at 1.9 attempts per game. This is in 29.4 minutes of action.

So as you can see, he's been far more efficient as a starter than a backup. Why is this? I'm sure some people will say "well he's coming off the bench with the likes of Brian Roberts and Roger Mason but as a starter gets to play with Greivis Vasquez and Austin Rivers." While all that may be true, I ask, does it really matter?

So like previously stated it's a small sample size of just 11 games, but at what point does this kind of stand out?
    You got it. It is about getting good looking shoots. Vasquez does makes it easier. Even just 1 second of opening at the three point line makes a difference.

I think it's certainly something to tinker with. I think his % is worse with the second unit more because because the defense can really key on him rather than having a set up guy. I guess you've really answered your own question though: Does it really matter? Apparently yes.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Rivers
    Gordon
    Paul George
    Ryan Anderson
    Unibrow

I can dream right?

Whether he starts or not makes no difference. He still gets starter minutes and plays with starters on the floor.

The difference lately is teams are locating him and defending him like an all-star player. Until a guard or post player can draw a double it will continue to be hard for him to get loose.

Good thing is if Lopez keeps playing well he will start to get the double.

good one

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Whether he starts or not makes no difference. He still gets starter minutes and plays with starters on the floor.

The difference lately is teams are locating him and defending him like an all-star player. Until a guard or post player can draw a double it will continue to be hard for him to get loose.

Good thing is if Lopez keeps playing well he will start to get the double.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    If you start him, you bench Davis. Davis is not even close to bring a starting 5 in the NBA. This is gonna be our biggest problem until Davis gains the strength/weight to play the 5. Plus what lucky man said above, except the Lopez double team part

That's crazy talk. Anderson has proven to be just as equally effective coming off the bench as he is starting. One of the hardest things to do in the NBA is to be effective coming off the bench. Ideally, we want Ryan Anderson to be our 6th man.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think you should start Anderson, Davis and Lopez together, this year. These guys are NBA players they can handle it. Try and see if it works. If it doesnt, scrap it and try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    If you start him, you bench Davis. Davis is not even close to bring a starting 5 in the NBA. This is gonna be our biggest problem until Davis gains the strength/weight to play the 5. Plus what lucky man said above, except the Lopez double team part
    Late in the game Orlando brought a double on Lopez. Coach Williams already mentioned that will eventually come if he plays well, so his team will have to adjust.

I think it's because 1.) teams have now keyed in on him knowing how much of a scoring threat he can be and 2.) when he comes off the bench he isn't playing with players who can create their own shots/get him good looks so he is instantly the primary concern for the opposing team.

Before Davis' injury Anderson was very effective coming off the bench. Had very nice games coming off the bench. Maybe he's just going thru a rough patch right now.

Anderson can't jump a lick, which really effects his ability to finish in the lane. he's 6'10 but plays alot smaller than that, when's he's driving at least (he's still a solid rebounder).

recently teams having been putting smaller, quicker guys on him (like affalo last night) and cramping his space because all he usually does his run away from bigs and get just enough space to get his quick trigger off. but he can't with a guy like affalo smothering him.

affalo is like 6'4 huh, anderson should be able to take him down on the block and shoot a dirk stanky leg on him, (anderson has a pretty high release like dirk). But doesn't seem like anderson can do this

the dirk is a great shot and think vasquez, davis, and anderson should all be working on it. durant and kobe use it often. i saw nash use it vs the knicks on christmas.

learn to dirk anderson!!

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beastbowen40 View Post
    Anderson can't jump a lick, which really effects his ability to finish in the lane. he's 6'10 but plays alot smaller than that, when's he's driving at least (he's still a solid rebounder).

recently teams having been putting smaller, quicker guys on him (like affalo last night) and cramping his space because all he usually does his run away from bigs and get just enough space to get his quick trigger off. but he can't with a guy like affalo smothering him.

affalo is like 6'4 huh, anderson should be able to take him down on the block and shoot a dirk stanky leg on him, (anderson has a pretty high release like dirk). But doesn't seem like anderson can do this

the dirk is a great shot and think vasquez, davis, and anderson should all be working on it. durant and kobe use it often. i saw nash use it vs the knicks on christmas.

learn to dirk anderson!!
    I think that things like this will change once Gordon is out there. They will be forced to put the quicker guy on EG instead

learn to dirk anderson!!
    I can see the resemblance of Dirk in Ryno's shot.

He needs to learn to use glass like that and he'll be unstoppable lol

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Before Davis' injury Anderson was very effective coming off the bench. Had very nice games coming off the bench. Maybe he's just going thru a rough patch right now.
    All shooter's do. For some reason people can't understand that.

he'll get used to it and it'll fix itself

vasquez also has a dirisk shot and like dirk has a height advantage, yet athletic disadvantage at his position. the dirk is a great shot esp for players with higher releases, set shots, and lack of jumping ability.

Basically, if dirk tried to shoot a jumpshot where he got off the floor, it'd really throw him off because it would take some much effort for him to get air. so instead he just leans back and creates space that way as opposed to elevating over.

Anderson could really do himself some good by adding this to his game. he often gets smaller defender on switches and cant take advantage.

I've mentioned this before but davis needs to and i believe will add a faceup shot ala d west, garnett. but he often has a right pivot foot, which makes no sense for right handed player. you want a left pivot foot so you can jag step with the right to create space for that little d west leaner. davis always gets in trouble when he has a right pivot foot, must be a bad habit

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    vasquez also has a dirisk shot and like dirk has a height advantage, yet athletic disadvantage at his position. the dirk is a great shot esp for players with higher releases, set shots, and lack of jumping ability.

Basically, if dirk tried to shoot a jumpshot where he got off the floor, it'd really throw him off because it would take some much effort for him to get air. so instead he just leans back and creates space that way as opposed to elevating over.

Anderson could really do himself some good by adding this to his game. he often gets smaller defender on switches and cant take advantage.

I've mentioned this before but davis needs to and i believe will add a faceup shot ala d west, garnett. but he often has a right pivot foot, which makes no sense for right handed player. you want a left pivot foot so you can jag step with the right to create space for that little d west leaner. davis always gets in trouble when he has a right pivot foot, must be a bad habit
    I have noticed this too and agree but I don't think he needs to change his shot because of that. There were several times in last night's game where he had a smaller defender on him and instead of backing him down and getting a higher % shot near the rim, he would either face up and shoot a jumper or try to dribble past him. Both he and Monty has talked about how much more of a game he has besides shooting. Well when you have a significant height/weight advantage is when we need to see that post game.

I think he is just in a little bit of a shooting slump. He's missing some open shots, and that has nothing to do with his teammates. He'll be fine.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think he is just in a little bit of a shooting slump. He's missing some open shots, and that has nothing to do with his teammates. He'll be fine.
    I do agree he's in a slump but I think it's more than that.

Thread Information