Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Davis vs The Field

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Actually it's not blue. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Actually it's not blue. Haha
    Da Truth

So I have still not seen anyone ask DaThrone this, and I am curious myself:

2.5 games is not a good sample size. Actually 2.5 games plus a college season in which, as a Freshman he won Player of the Year and would have been the All-Time blocks leader at over 45 Division I schools despite only playing one season, but whatever. Minor details.

So, if that is not enough, I just gotta know what is? How many games until we have an amount you are happy with the amount of data. Because once we reach whatever threshold you determine is proper, we can stop trying to convince the only person on the planet who doesn't believe. I want that date and I want to create a countdown to that date on this site. Give it to us!!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

2.5 games is not a good sample size. Actually 2.5 games plus a college season in which, as a Freshman he won Player of the Year and would have been the All-Time blocks leader at over 45 Division I schools despite only playing one season, but whatever. Minor details.

So, if that is not enough, I just gotta know what is? How many games until we have an amount you are happy with the amount of data. Because once we reach whatever threshold you determine is proper, we can stop trying to convince the only person on the planet who doesn't believe. I want that date and I want to create a countdown to that date on this site. Give it to us!!
    My prediction on "His" date... After 5 seasons...

...we get to go McDonalds
    Who were prospects 1-6???

Stop feeding the troll, guys.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Stop feeding the troll, guys.
    This... When he first started this I thought he was being serious. But over time I have found he is just a Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    This... When he first started this I thought he was being serious. But over time I have found he is just a Troll.
    x2

Trolls aren't always bad. They reinforce our opinions, make conversation, and bring us together against said troll. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Although Da Throne has taken this to a whole new level.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    Trolls aren't always bad. They reinforce our opinions, make conversation, and bring us together against said troll. If you don't like it, ignore it.

That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post

If someone doesn't like Anthony Davis or anything being said positively in threads about him, they can ignore the threads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Who were prospects 1-6???
    Yea, i wanna know too

He's just kicking the can to delay when he has to recant, but you brought up in a podcast recently how great Jason Smith looked for the Hornets until he made team scouting reports. Davis is showing things people didn't expect of him. NBA coaches are probably surprised too. If he's having regular, effortless 20+ point nights in January when teams have had time to diagnose him then it's safe to say that what we're seeing is real and exciting.

Aesthetically, I feel like the David Robinson comparison that McNamara put forward is really close. Looking at Robinson as a college player, it isn't far off. Both guys rely on athleticism and instincts to score, both guys are better facing guys up and finishing off cuts than posting up, and there's a second jump ability that both guys have to their game. I don't think they're that similar defensively. I can't think of any player I've seen who surprises players with his length more than Davis. He's not as manic as KG, not as big or fundamentally sound as Duncan, more active than Robinson. I guess he plays like Olajuwon, but I don't think he'll be quite as active in passing lanes. I do feel, based on his college season, he'll fit among that class of player if he dedicates himself and adds to his game.

Incidentally, I don't feel strongly about Davis needing to add a ton of weight after watching the best big men of the last 25 years. Those dudes were rail thin well into their career with the exceptions of Shaq and Duncan. And Howard, if you want to put him in that tier.

Davis doesn't need to force additional weight as he has been fairing well up to date as is. His body has yet to mature and he will be bigger naturally once his frame fills out. What he does need to add is strength. David Robinson type of strength/physique would be ideal for him.

Davis is nowhere near the the player he'll be in his prime. It's very hard to imagine what he'll become at this stage. Even if it resembles certain players right now, it will change as he evolves and grow. I think his absolute floor is a guy who relies on athleticism, coordination, and raw talent to score ala Dwight/Blake. I think his ceiling will involve a lot of skill and polish. When you get a combination of the two plus his IQ and feel for the same, I'm confident there will be no comparison. He'll be the one and only Anthony Davis.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It's too soon, but I hope he gets a rookie of the month, to start.

Davis vs The Field

Drummond has been good as well so far coming off the bench.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    The thing with Drummond though is, he's incredibly inconsistent.

Davis vs The Field

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    The thing with Drummond though is, he's incredibly inconsistent.
    He is, but overall he's been very good in his role off the bench. Even playing well tonight.

It's shocking that 2.5 games are the standard time for greatestness. Harden was averaging 42 ppg in 2 games this season. Can't put an exact # on the amount of games but I can tell you 2.5 aren't nearly enough. I mentioned Lin and his run and basic stats said it was one of the greatest 1st X amount in the history of the association. If/when I see Davis consistently create and open things up for other players based on his offense i'll feel more comfortable able labling him a star. When I see him do it while being the focal point of the defense I'll feel confortable about him being a superstar.

As far as his college career the pro game and collegiate game have enough significant differences to know success at one level isn't 100% transferable to the next. I could name guys like Thabeet, Hansborugh, Beasley, Ferdette, B. Bass, E. Turner etc that all played at a high level in college but it didn't carry over. Those guys where all in contention for the Wooden Award.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    He's just kicking the can to delay when he has to recant, but you brought up in a podcast recently how great Jason Smith looked for the Hornets until he made team scouting reports. Davis is showing things people didn't expect of him. NBA coaches are probably surprised too. If he's having regular, effortless 20+ point nights in January when teams have had time to diagnose him then it's safe to say that what we're seeing is real and exciting.
    Like how you made the classic "gang mentality" comment, then proceeded to make my point for me. That was really interesting to see.

While I have nothing to prove. MM can tell you that i've been on the Hornets247 with opinions well before and/or completely non-related to Davis. The idea that I'm here just to "stoke the fire" is completely off base.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.

I think if you just admitted that you were wrong (because you clearly were) all this would go away.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I think if you just admitted that you were wrong (because you clearly were) all this would go away.
    All what goes away?

I'll admit I'm wrong when I'm proven wrong. I've said there's aspects of his game that I was wrong about. I call it like I see it. 2.5 games just isn't enough to make a full evalution of a player. If this makes me the "crazy troll" than so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    All what goes away?

I'll admit I'm wrong when I'm proven wrong. I've said there's aspects of his game that I was wrong about. I call it like I see it. 2.5 games just isn't enough to make a full evalution of a player. If this makes me the "crazy troll" than so be it.
    Here in lies the problem, you HAVE been proven wrong. You were wrong from the jump, your "evaluation" of Davis was an epic failure, but your pride (or something else) won't let you admit it.

The way you see it must be blinded by foggy glasses or something, because everyone sees it but you.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 11-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Davis vs The Field

I do agree with him about harden though. Everyone was {Mod Edit-It's a family site.} and saying he was an MVP candidate after only 2 games.

Thread Information