Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    Yes the name Devils is a terrible name too. On the flip side Saints is a wonderful name. Saints means saved sinners, or people that will one day be going to heaven. That's a nickname to be proud of, not voodoo. And I guarantee a stupid name like voodoo has as much of a shot to the new nickname as the New Orleans Turds.
    Poor data-starved little illiterate. I hate the dictation software

Saints is from the Louis Armstrong version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" and all the religious stuff just sort of tags along for the ride. They asked for the announcement to be made on All-Saints Day, which was a little after the AFL-NFL merger thing went through due to political wrangling from the Longs. They asked the Archbishop if it was ok, and he said yes (and funny stuff). It was by no means a direct tribute to saints, any saint, Christians, or Catholics, but keep in mind they talked to an Archbishop in the Catholic Church, not a Protestant Church, and you sure sound like a zealous protestant. Baptist?

BY NO MEANS is this a religious name.

People make it religious. There is religion along for the ride. But it was not religious in its inception.

Why don't you make some more guarantees as to what might not be a name, genius foreseer?

Also, other sports teams you will call Satanic: Celtics (pagans), Raptors (whole Eden thingy), Magic (boo!), Vikings (pagans), Chiefs (pagans), Redskins (pagans), Titans (false deities from Christian perspective).

Learn to read and use the internet to find things to read to keep you from saying completely stupid things.

Besides, I enjoy this. You don't want me to be happy do you?

Poor little fella.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

Saints is from the Louis Armstrong version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" and all the religious stuff just sort of tags along for the ride. They asked for the announcement to be made on All-Saints Day, which was a little after the AFL-NFL merger thing went through due to political wrangling from the Longs. They asked the Archbishop if it was ok, and he said yes (and funny stuff). It was by no means a direct tribute to saints, any saint, Christians, or Catholics, but keep in mind they talked to an Archbishop in the Catholic Church, not a Protestant Church, and you sure sound like a zealous protestant. Baptist?

People make it religious. There is religion along for the ride. But it was not religious in its inception.

Why don't you make some more guarantees as to what might not be a name, genius foreseer?

Also, other sports teams you will call Satanic: Celtics (pagans), Raptors (whole Eden thingy), Magic (boo!), Vikings (pagans), Chiefs (pagans), Redskins (pagans), Titans (false deities from Christian perspective).

Learn to read and use the internet to find things to read to keep you from saying completely stupid things.

Poor little fella.
    42 laying down the law...
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

I love a variety of opinions and the like.

I HATE a bad analysis. HATE!

Love truth, forgive errors, right?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Yes the name Devils is a terrible name too. On the flip side Saints is a wonderful name. Saints means saved sinners, or people that will one day be going to heaven. That's a nickname to be proud of, not voodoo. And I guarantee a stupid name like voodoo has as much of a shot to the new nickname as the New Orleans Turds.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

how about the new orleans demons.. at every halftime, the lights go off and a big red pentagram is projected onto the floor; the fans will then proceed to chant hale satan for 66 seconds while fog is released from the ceiling and a goat is sacrificed to complete our worship...

this is what you sound like to us or me at least
    Last edited by bojangles837; 06-10-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Look dude. I don't care what the pundits say. I'm telling you the definition of saints and those are saved sinners. Now for those other names I hardly have a problem with them.

Have a blessed day little man.

In Christ

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

Poor little fella.

Look dude. I don't care what the pundits say. I'm telling you the definition of saints and those are saved sinners. Now for those other names I hardly have a problem with them.

Have a blessed day little man.

In Christ
    "I don't care about facts. I will use the first thing that pops in my head right now, and I will use it now and forever, no matter what reality throws at me."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/saint

Here's a link to a dictionary with multiple uses, none of which have anything about being a sinner or transitioning to heaven.

I know the dictionary (this company makes a very popular American dictionary), which is a book that lists words, what they mean, where they come from, how they might be used, might be considered as a pundit, but it's a standard resource. It's quite handy for people who can read and want to read things where they don't quite know all the words.

And you must just LOVE what I'm saying to you since you are immitating it (highest form of flattery).

Now you can say how if I learn the lessons you are trying to give me nicely, life will teach me the hard way, or I'll be dealt with in some afterlife, right? Go ahead. Do it. It'll be fun.

The point is, you need to so a little research about some of what you are saying, or just flat out ask people to fill in the blanks for you. Spitting out stuff that is patently false is no way to carry yourself, no matter what your beliefs or how much that `funny feeling' between your ears is scary or kind of `hurts'.

And if you don't have a problem with them, then you don't know what a pagan is or you are a hypocrite. Is that a sin, Mr. Expert?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I honestly don't know what a "troll" is but, he might be whatever it is.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

June 10: New Orleans Cathedrals
    June 9: New Orleans Bon Temps
    June 8: New Orleans Resilience
    June 7: New Orleans Defenders
    June 6: New Orleans Sportsmen
    June 5: New Orleans Governors
    June 4: New Orleans Trumpters
    June 3: New Orleans Maskers
    June 2: New Orleans Misfits
    June 1: New Orleans Desire

New Orleans Church
    New Orleans Bohemians
    New Orleans is Better than YOU
    New Orleans Moons
    New Orleans Snoballs

Oh crap, sorry 42.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Ha. I like New Orleans Snoballs.

About the most New Orleans thing there is.

You guys are killing me, here.

Those are some good ones. Bohemians is one of those I thought about actually, but I couldn't bring myself to post it since it makes me think of Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. Yuck.

New Orleans is Better than YOU would be awesome. "How do you feel about being a Better-than-youz?"

How about the Swamp?

New Orleans Swamp
    Louisiana Swamp
    LA Swamp

The only thing more dangerous than being caught in the Thunder is being lost in the Swamp.
    Last edited by sfernald; 06-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Sorry 42, inspiration took over.

Bohemians - I was going for the Czech soccer club.
    NOIBTY - that's across the front of the jersey. I'd love to see what Dub could do with that one. Before the season starts, we would be crowned champions. Nobody's better than New Orleans is an alternative.

Nah, everyone should be coming up with ideas constantly rather than only jumping on `teams' for the best names so far.

Make this little game of mine harder if the best brand comes from it.

New Orleans Flesh
    New Orleans Dredge
    New Orleans Sex Machine
    Sin City Sex Machine
    New Orleans Hannans
    New Orleans Purple
    New Orleans Crazy
    New Orleans Groceries
    New Orleans Icees
    New Orleans Gentlemen Jim's
    New Orleans Bingles
    New Orleans Muses

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    New Orleans soul torchers?
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

New Orleans Soul Crushers!!

that's it, the game is over. We have crushed your soul. You have no reason to live, to play this game, to shoot, rebound, dribble. Your life as you know it, is now over. Soul Crushed!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    New Orleans Soul Crushers!!

that's it, the game is over. We have crushed your soul. You have no reason to live, to play this game, to shoot, rebound, dribble. Your life as you know it, is now over. Soul Crushed!

Born of Fire would work for our marquee player flourish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQwjyTnXXo

at about 1:11 in

Would work for Soul Torchers or Flambeaux, which was suggested elsewhere, and I'm a fan of.

is there a timetable for changing the Hornets nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    Anytime between Benson taking ownership and a little over 2y from now.

We'll know more soon.

They do not need to have all their ducks in a row to file the paperwork to do the rebrand.

Special dispensation will have to be negotiated to get this done in less than 2y. Realistically, getting it done for the 2013-2014 season is ideal due to the ASG. This season will be logistically challenging as the Sonic-Thunder rebrand taught us, though we may have more time . . . though, they kind of had more time too, so maybe we have less than they did.

Like Krewe, Like Brass, Like Hurricanes.....don't like Pelicans at all

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRHORNETSFAN View Post
    Like Krewe, Like Brass, Like Hurricanes.....don't like Pelicans at all
    Acceptable.

The Artist    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    From what I've heard from inside the team's office is that we will have to carry the Hornets name in for another season. Benson doesn't officially take over until July 1st, and that's when the ball is supposed to start rolling for the re-brand. It look's like the league is just going to wave one year out off of the customary two the require.

Thread Information