Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    well it saved the Superdome, the Saints, the Hornets, our film industry, gave us the opportunity to develop a medical corridor that could potentially do for NOLA what it did for Pittsburgh, and so many other things that it would be impossible to list them all.

Katrina was horrible, but it was also the best thing that could have possibly happened to New Orleans. The world works in strange ways.
    I heart u already. Welcome u big cheesehead
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Yeah well tell that to the thousands of people who lost loved ones. I'm not disagreeing with the name Breakers but the reference to levees breaking shouldn't be used imo. I mean why don't we just call them the New Orleans Katrinas then since so much positive came from it and since it helped us out so much. Geez.
    Well the Hornets name comes from the glorification of war which isn't much better if you want to be all mopey

Thanks Silverfoxx - long time lurker decided to start posting after last night's stirring win!

I wouldn't mind Breakers. Those colors are slick.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I wouldn't mind Breakers. Those colors are slick.
    Yeah the only problem is that so many NBA teams now have the light blue/darker blue combo these days. It would have been so much better 20 years ago. In a way if we go in some other direction I'd love to see us use red or black or green or purple - anything but blue. There's very few NBA teams with black or green or purple in their color schemes - and a surprisingly few amount of teams with red (especially in the Western conference). Off the top of my head - only Portland, Youston, and the Clippers predominantly feature red in the West. Teams with blue/blue: Memphis, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota, Charlotte, Denver, Oklahoma City. Most of those are in the West. Need to mix it up!

Does anybody else really love the Brooklyn Nets redesign and court design? So simple and brilliant. If we DID go Pelicans that's really the only way I'd like it - maybe if we just did a simple 2-color scheme (like the Saints' classy black/gold) and have it look old school with a Pelicans logo like this: We could totally rip off the Brooklyn Net's "retro" theme if we used a plain vintage logo and a parquet court with one color v's white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1942+New+Orleans+Pelicans.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	4442
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 11-27-2012 at 02:44 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Breakers is kind of bold and old school.

I hate ambiguous clues. Tautology.

Hey I saw Bigdub's uniform concept for the Breakers linked on a Saints message board once, but is there a thread or a place where I can view ALL of his concepts? I tried searching and had fun perusing old threads for an hour (my boss hates me) but I had no luck finding any of his concepts.

Name:	1866f205.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	4443

These are so beautiful. They'd instantly be a top 5 jersey in the current NBA along with the Wizards, 76ers, Warriors, Knicks, and Nuggets retros. I'd change the generic seagull into a pelican. I'd also love to see a grey home alternate as well as the royal blue road jersey. I'd also like to see "Davis 23" and "Gordon 10" instead of the gereric name/number just to make it really hit home. The court would be epic as well - imagine that wave creeping across the center court.

Hey I saw Bigdub's uniform concept for the Breakers linked on a Saints message board once, but is there a thread or a place where I can view ALL of his concepts? I tried searching and had fun perusing old threads for an hour (my boss hates me) but I had no luck finding any of his concepts.

Bigdub took all of his work off of the site because he was pursuing making them for the hornets. Legal reasons he had to take them down, so nobody would steal his work etc.. I believe he has actually had contact with the Hornets. Not sure if he is working on anything for them but I think they looked at his concepts. Anyways his silence around here has to be good news.

Name:	1866f205.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	4443

These are so beautiful. They'd instantly be a top 5 jersey in the current NBA along with the Wizards, 76ers, Warriors, Knicks, and Nuggets retros. I'd change the generic seagull into a pelican. I'd also love to see a grey home alternate as well as the royal blue road jersey. I'd also like to see "Davis 23" and "Gordon 10" instead of the gereric name/number just to make it really hit home. The court would be epic as well - imagine that wave creeping across the center court.
    I agree.
    My favorite of all the BigDubs

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    Bigdub took all of his work off of the site because he was pursuing making them for the hornets. Legal reasons he had to take them down, so nobody would steal his work etc.. I believe he has actually had contact with the Hornets. Not sure if he is working on anything for them but I think they looked at his concepts. Anyways his silence around here has to be good news.
    Oh wow - did not know. Somebody let me know if I should take down that image - although it's findable by a standard google search.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Oh wow - did not know. Somebody let me know if I should take down that image - although it's findable by a standard google search.
    I wouldn't worry about it, it's watermarked. I do love that concept, so classic.

MAN I hope they don't mess this up when he's come up with so many that would be pretty amazing.
    Wherehappens.

So yesterday when I was trying to find BigDub's Breakers concept on Google, I stumbled upon this USFL news/history aggregating site and decided to email them to see if they had been contacted by anybody withing the Hornets for information on Breakers trademarks, etc. Realize it's a longshot but who knows?

Here's what they emailed back...

USFL.info

10:29 AM (2 minutes ago)

to me

No, I can say with at least a reasonable amount of certainty that this isn’t going to happen. Two names have been registered for trademarks, “New Orleans Angels” and “New Orleans Spirit.” If I had to lay $5 on it, I’d go with Angels, to go along with the Saints.

Realize that we probably know more than this guy (this is old news to us and we all feel confident that these two nickname options are dead by now) but just thought it was worth sharing.

Great initiative and great info.

Thanks

Pretend quote... "We came out and played Angel's basketball"..not sure how i feel about this.

Angels and Spirit kinda sound like WNBA team names to me... oh well
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 11-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.

i do like the Breakers jerseys and I could see myself really liking that name.

Angels & Spirit is just a big turn off to me. We aren't the WNBA

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Pretend quote... "We came out and played Angel's basketball"..not sure how i feel about this.

Angels and Spirit kinda sound like WNBA team names to me... oh well
    Breakers has a little bit of intimidation to it, and people may be opposed to Breakers as a name after the hurricane, but there already exists a "New Orleans Breakers" team so it couldn't be too bad of a name.

Hate how all these minor league teams get our top choices

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Breakers has a little bit of intimidation to it, and people may be opposed to Breakers as a name after the hurricane, but there already exists a "New Orleans Breakers" team so it couldn't be too bad of a name.

Hate how all these minor league teams get our top choices
    The name Breakers isn't a bad name after the hurricane. I just don't find the reference to levees breaking too cool though. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    The name Breakers isn't a bad name after the hurricane. The reference to levees breaking is kinda bad though. Just my opinion though.
    Yea, coming from a man who lost everything in the storm I don't mind Breakers. Still riding that Krewe bandwagon, although i know it'll never happen.

"We came out tonight and played Breaker basketball" sounds a lot better then Spirit or Angel imo.

Breakers is a name I can definitly be proud of. Wouldn't be my first or second choice but it's definitely is a top the list. Plus I agree that the logo and color scheme is also really nice.

Gail Benson just said in interview before the jazz game that the new colors will be Red Gold and Navy

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Gail Benson just said in interview before the jazz game that the new colors will be Red Gold and Navy
    Yeah, just saw that.

I like red and gold, but how is navy going to fit.

Said she wanted black originally, but the league said there were "too many blacks", lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    Yeah, just saw that.

I like red and gold, but how is navy going to fit.

Said she wanted black originally, but the league said there were "too many blacks", lol.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think she also said the change would come next season.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

yea black and gold with red trim woulda been tiiiigggghhhttttt

and YES she did say new name next season

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think she also said the change would come next season.
    She said at the end of this season, they'll reveal the name, so I assume that means it's happening next season.

Thread Information