Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My idea for free agency

My idea for free agency

1) Offers should be public so teams can make counter offers. Its only fair since some teams will value certain free agents more than others.

2) Teams cannot offer more than their roster space. For example, if the Rockets have 8 guys on the roster after the draft, they can only offer 7 contracts. Last free agency, certain teams were offering too many contracts even though they had didn't have enough roster space to sign all the guys they offered.

3) Teams cannot offer more than their cap space. For example, if the Rockets have 30 million in cap space, they can't offer more unless one of their own free agents with Bird Rights is involved. If they increase the offer on one free agent, they need to decrease the offer on another free agent to avoid going over the cap. Again, last season certain teams were offering more than their cap space allowed and more than their roster space and in the process caused market increase and damaged the free agency process Those teams shouldn't be allowed to do it again.

4) If restricted free agency can be programmed into the game, then we should try it. However, I don't want to see one sim involved with teams resigning their own free agents since players have numerical loyalty, greed, and play for winner which are fairly accurate from my experience. Allowing teams to resign their own FAs with the first sim will take away the balance we have in this sim league.

5) I'm fine with a cap floor.

Rules 1, 2, and 3 are the most important and will make free agency a fair and enjoyable process.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

#1 I agree with. We should get to know what offers we have to beat

#2 Not sure, b/c I know I probably wont get everyone I bid on so I would like to have some backup plans in case my top guy chooses another team

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    #1 I agree with. We should get to know what offers we have to beat

#2 Not sure, b/c I know I probably wont get everyone I bid on so I would like to have some backup plans in case my top guy chooses another team
    Most backup plans are usually available after the first rounds of FA since they are not as good as the main FAs. Plus, rule number 3 usually has an effect on rule number two. Breaking rule 2 and rule 3 abuses the FA process.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    honestly I tried following all these rules last free agency so I'm all for it.

RFA's I think need to be added if possible as well.

good thread

Simulation doesn't have RFA built in
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Most backup plans are usually available after the first rounds of FA since they are not as good as the main FAs. Plus, rule number 3 usually has an effect on rule number two. Breaking rule 2 and rule 3 abuses the FA process.
    Well lets say Kobe and T-Mac are FAs. I can only afford one of them, but if I miss out on Kobe I want T-Mac..Didnt a lot of the good players sign in the 2nd and 3rd sims last year?

RFA would be nice, but I'm not sure if its doable.

well lets say Kobe and T-Mac are FAs. I can only afford one of them, but if I miss out on Kobe I want T-Mac..Didnt a lot of the good players sign in the 2nd and 3rd sims last year?
    Too bad I guess.

But those guys will get max offers from their original team and have bird rights as well. Less likely to leave especially since greed is high on their list.

Too bad I guess.

But those guys will get max offers from their original team and have bird rights as well. Less likely to leave especially since greed is high on their list.
    That would be unfair imo considering how random the sim signings can be and that we cant actually talk to FAs like real NBA

Well lets say Kobe and T-Mac are FAs. I can only afford one of them, but if I miss out on Kobe I want T-Mac..Didnt a lot of the good players sign in the 2nd and 3rd sims last year?
    Well you have to choose which one you will gamble on. That's when you have to consider the greed and play for winner attributes come in.

I think the rules that hornets78 are really good. Except for the public bid. I prefer the private bidding to avoid the raising and reraising of bids. Its becoming an auction, which I don't like

1) Offers should be public so teams can make counter offers. Its only fair since some teams will value certain free agents more than others.

2) Teams cannot offer more than their roster space. For example, if the Rockets have 8 guys on the roster after the draft, they can only offer 7 contracts. Last free agency, certain teams were offering too many contracts even though they had didn't have enough roster space to sign all the guys they offered.

3) Teams cannot offer more than their cap space. For example, if the Rockets have 30 million in cap space, they can't offer more unless one of their own free agents with Bird Rights is involved. If they increase the offer on one free agent, they need to decrease the offer on another free agent to avoid going over the cap. Again, last season certain teams were offering more than their cap space allowed and more than their roster space and in the process caused market increase and damaged the free agency process Those teams shouldn't be allowed to do it again.

4) If restricted free agency can be programmed into the game, then we should try it. However, I don't want to see one sim involved with teams resigning their own free agents since players have numerical loyalty, greed, and play for winner which are fairly accurate from my experience. Allowing teams to resign their own FAs with the first sim will take away the balance we have in this sim league.

5) I'm fine with a cap floor.

Rules 1, 2, and 3 are the most important and will make free agency a fair and enjoyable process.
    1) I don't really understand for your argument of "Its only fair since some teams will value certain free agents more than others." People will still value FAs more and bid more. Now you just don't get to see. If you want someone, I see no problem with making you pay for him. Plus having a PM bid makes it easier to have a rule like 3. It would be constant chaos to try to only offer your cap space, but at the same time trying to match multiple contracts. For the most part, everyone here bids on more than one person per FA sim. That would just be a lot of changing of offers to keep up with Rule 3. Blind would be the best way to go just because you know what you're offering and can subtract that from your current space. Plus there aren't really open auctions for players anyway

2) I don't think this one matters as much to make FA enjoyable. Especially if we end up with a rule 3.

3) This one makes sense to me, but if you're not gonna win on a max guy, but you've now tied up that cap space and lost out on other potential FAs, haven't decided how I feel about that

4) RFA isn't actually built into the game. The way some other leagues get around this is that they'll just allow the GM to match the offer.

5) Doesn't really matter

That would be unfair imo considering how random the sim signings can be and that we cant actually talk to FAs like real NBA
    They're not that random. FAs usually sign for the most money. Like janjan said, looking at the attributes will help decide.

The public bids are important to some because certain teams will target a FA as the main guy and if they abide by rule 2 and rule 3, then it will be difficult to just treat players as auctions and even then, some of the attributes like loyalty and playing for a winner apply. A small % of the FAs will take less money.

I don't think its that difficult to keep up with rule 2 and rule 3 since its easy to see how many roster space and cap space each team has. Plus we can all make it easy for the commish by calling out teams breaking rules 2 and 3. Rules 2 and 3 will prevent teams for jacking up the prices which happened last offseason.

I would like to know if someone is bidding more for a FA than me since most FAs take the most money. That happened last FA to me when a bidding war ensued for Etan Thomas. I had to adjust other contracts I offered just to make sure I had enough to outbid for him.

They're not that random. FAs usually sign for the most money. Like janjan said, looking at the attributes will help decide.
    CP3 has said those mean nothing though. And I think someone offered Hardaway a max deal, but he signed with me, the worst team in the league, for 9.5 mil to be a backup. And by random I also meant when they sign, we have no clue, but in reality we could tell a player to hold off to make sure I cant get Kobe, and if I cant I'll make you a bigger offer than everyone else

CP3 has said those mean nothing though. And I think someone offered Hardaway a max deal, but he signed with me, the worst team in the league, for 9.5 mil to be a backup. And by random I also meant when they sign, we have no clue, but in reality we could tell a player to hold off to make sure I cant get Kobe, and if I cant I'll make you a bigger offer than everyone else
    He was an exception. Most of the FAs took the most money.

I would like to know if someone is bidding more for a FA than me since most FAs take the most money. That happened last FA to me when a bidding war ensued for Etan Thomas. I had to adjust other contracts I offered just to make sure I had enough to outbid for him.
    Right and if there's a blind bid, you're not having to adjust other contracts constantly and changing bids on others which would help with "jacking up prices" for other guys. Your argument about guys taking less money doesn't matter because technically that could still happen

We did it publicly last season, I see no problem with doing it blind this off season.

Under the scenario the bids are private, there should be no limit on number of offers as driving up the price is already avoided and someone like theo Ratliff could end up signing for vet min, the real problem with the current system is the lowballing of some FA like Cato which would may or may not continue under the private setup too. If you're dumb enough to over pay a guy that's you're fault. Not the person driving up the price. If you spread yourself out too much you might sign the Plan B when Plan A was going to sign with you and if you don't spread yourself out you could lose out on multiple FA. It means you gotta play smart. I think both public and private bidding are equal in pros and cons. I think people should learn from my situation with PJ and Hardaway and know that if you only slightly outbid someone, you still might not get the FA

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Right and if there's a blind bid, you're not having to adjust other contracts constantly and changing bids on others which would help with "jacking up prices" for other guys. Your argument about guys taking less money doesn't matter because technically that could still happen

We did it publicly last season, I see no problem with doing it blind this off season.
    I don't mind trying doing it blind just to try it out, but I would like to know what I need to offer to sign someone.

He was an exception. Most of the FAs took the most money.
    Ok what about this: Kobe is a FA, the reigning champ Wizards can only afford to bid on him (max), and no other players. Lets say he does something dumb and signs with the worst team that offers him the max on the last sim day, now the Wizards cant get anyone else, is that really fair?

I dont fully trust the sim to make smart decisions
    Last edited by speedyG; 10-23-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Under the scenario the bids are private, there should be no limit on number of offers as driving up the price is already avoided and someone like theo Ratliff could end up signing for vet min, the real problem with the current system is the lowballing of some FA like Cato which would may or may not continue under the private setup too. If you're dumb enough to over pay a guy that's you're fault. Not the person driving up the price. If you spread yourself out too much you might sign the Plan B when Plan A was going to sign with you and if you don't spread yourself out you could lose out on multiple FA. It means you gotta play smart. I think both public and private bidding are equal in pros and cons. I think people should learn from my situation with PJ and Hardaway and know that if you only slightly outbid someone, you still might not get the FA

That is true. You got hosed with FA. I was more fortunate. I slightly outbid for Etan and he signed with me. Everyone I signed like Mighty Mouse, Big Country, and Wally Z, I clearly outbid for them. Really had little competition for them or for all the FAs I signed with the exception of Etan.

I don't mind trying doing it blind just to try it out, but I would like to know what I need to offer to sign someone.
    You need to offer what you think he's worth not what others think he's worth + 1 million

Ok what about this: Kobe is a FA, the reigning champ Wizards can only afford to bid on him (max), and no other players. Lets say he does something dumb and signs with the worst team that offers him the max on the last sim day, now the Wizards cant get anyone else, is that really fair?

I dont fully trust the sim to make smart decisions
    How common is it for a team to lose out on a superstar only to sign another superstar in the process? Usually those teams get burned that FA and have to sign mid tier guys instead. If the Wiz lose Kobe, their hosed regardless of who else they go after. What happens if they offer Kobe and a second tier guy at the same time and somehow the sim picks the second tier guy? Their hosed anyway.

That's the beauty of doing it blind. You try to sign them with whatever you're comfortable with. If someone else gets them for more, then oh well they paid more. Now if you're talking about not having a clue of what to pay someone, then I guess I understand that

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    You need to offer what you think he's worth not what others think he's worth + 1 million
    This x's 9001

Thread Information