Pelicans Report

Thread: Really Great Anthony Davis interview-- Great kid!

Really Great Anthony Davis interview-- Great kid!

Don't know if this has been posted already but saw this on YouTube the other day and it really helped me finally take in that not only is this a great player, but a great guy. Keep in mind that it was taken during the summer, after the olympics and during the rookie transition program. It's a great lengthy interview that covers everything from financing to eyebrows and the olympics. Check it out!

I really enjoyed it. Thanks

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    LOVE that guy, as much as a man can love another man in a straight way. Just traded away Varejao in a fantasy bball keeper league so I can hold onto him his entire career, which hopefully he spends in a Hornets/whatever uniform.

It will never cease to amaze me that men who play a game with a ball get paid millions of dollars in this country. Meanwhile the people who educate future generations are paid per year what these game-players make in a month. Where's our values at?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    It will never cease to amaze me that men who play a game with a ball get paid millions of dollars in this country. Meanwhile the people who educate future generations are paid per year what these game-players make in a month. Where's our values at?
    So true Rheem, so true. Makes me sad, but I'm probably part of the problem too.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    we are all part of the problem

That's a highly paid educator.

Actually, there are some educators on the tertiary level who get paid high 6 figures. We also put a premium on entertainment an seeing other human beings do what few of us can. Those types of people and talent are more scarce than someone who teaches 5th grade math. There's probably no one on this board who could walk onto an NBA court and compete, but there's probably a few that could be a great teacher.

Appreciation can be shown by more than what someone gets paid. School administrators aren't exactly poor people by any stretch either.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    That's a highly paid educator.
    hah, very true.

I gotta tell you, they don't pay educators enough, but the supply and demand issue raised above is really the issue. I mean, look at how much time people spend yakking about these guys. You ever been on a teacher blog?

I get paid relatively well to teach at a university, but it's not alot.

Even if you reduced the number of jobs to up the pay, the working conditions and effectiveness of the educator would be reduced as a result. Same thing if you didn't allow everyone in school.

it's not values, it's just the market. If there was not network broadcasting or satellite tv, there would be more entertainers, and players / entertainers would be paid less. That's about the only `fix' (not that it's broken).

The amount of enjoyment, etc. these guys bring to people's lives is likely worth it as a cost to society.

It's not about values; it's the nature of our economic model. If you are a person with a rare skill set (or perhaps a rare, single attribute) in a field that generates millions, you'll make money. See: advertising, modeling, music, acting, comedy. I wouldn't say it's good or bad. That's just how it is.
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 12-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Did some of you guys even watch the interview?

Really Great Anthony Davis interview-- Great kid!

Yeah we did sick dunks! Can't wait till he's back! Go Pels!

All of the above are valid points for sure. Believe me, I'm entertained by the sport just as much as anyone. I guess for me the issue is: what does it say about the market and our current economic model where people who are good at playing a sport are paid ridiculous amounts of money while so many people struggle just to make ends meet in our society. And many don't even do that much. If money is our society's way of showing value towards something, then we seem to vastly over-value the physical attributes over the mental, moral and spiritual aspects of being human. LeBron and Carmelo and whoever are worshiped for their ability to *dominate other individuals in a war-simulation game. But I guess values like compassion, empathy and progressive thinking have their place elsewhere. And I guess they have to be appreciated for their own rewards other than monetary gain.

Thread Information