Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Timberwolves at Pelicans in the Blender 11-1-17

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    The Owners have lost fans of the Saints by not not making changes quick enough. They won't get any more fans of the Pelicans by not making changes now. Why would a person spend hard earned money to watch this team?
    I understand the injuries have sucked the life out of this team, but you simply can't lose ugly at home and expect fans to support you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Rondo can’t get back quick enough.
    He won't make any difference as long as the stupid coach have them running a small man's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Let's trade one of the bigs they're not being used right. Let's get some shooters if we're going to play like Golden State.
    Um...the two bigs combined for 59pts 19reb 12ast 9stl and 4blks.

Despite moments of shakiness with Cousins first half turnovers, and Davis's missed threes and some boards he had to get, somehow I don't think they are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Who makes over 20 mil a year and averages only 14 points a game and disappears in clutch situations? Jrue!!
    Who's a franchise caliber player who's supposed to be the the best player in the league at his position and who is only earning less due to the circumstances of the CBA when the contracts were signed? Boogie.
    Basketball.

As soon as he pulled Nelson, I had a bad feeling.
    RIP FlyGirl

Banned
    Another Loss. Up next on Friday Dallas on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Um...the two bigs combined for 59pts 19reb 12ast 9stl and 4blks.

Despite moments of shakiness with Cousins first half turnovers, and Davis's missed threes and some boards he had to get, somehow I don't think they are the problem.
    I didn't say they were. But if Gentry is going to use them like a 1,2 or 3 instead of putting their big bodies on the block then we need more wing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Who's a franchise caliber player who's supposed to be the the best player in the league at his position and who is only earning less due to the circumstances of the CBA when the contracts were signed? Boogie.
    I don't understand how you can rationalize Boogie is to blame when you have a player who is said to be a core player like Boogie but hides in big moments and doesn't score.

You do realize the two things are connected right?

Jrue Holiday is not truly a PG, hence you now have to ask your center to, in addition to centering, be your PG (and oh, also be your best (only?) 3pt spacer). End result? Lots of turnovers that are maybe not there if you have a real PG to initiate things.

And turning the ball over in the final minute and handing the opposing team a victory is what ended the Pels chances last year. It's just not acceptable from your primary ballhandler. it's the very thing the primary ballhandler is supposed to prevent.

I don't understand how you can rationalize Boogie is to blame when you have a player who is said to be a core player like Boogie but hides in big moments and doesn't score.
    I'm not saying Boogie is to blame. I'm saying that if turnovers are your main problem, then you should be paying more attention the the guy with 8 than to the guy with 2. The Wolves had 28 points off turnovers tonight, and Jrue had 1 the whole game until the final minute. When we were down 4. We might have been up if there had been less turnovers throughout, and Jrue can't be blamed for the turnovers through the middle of the game because he didn't have any.

Of course saying we 'might' have been up is useless and entirely an assumption, but like I said, I'm not blaming Boogie I'm just saying if turnovers are your problem, Jrue isn't your man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    You do realize the two things are connected right?

Jrue Holiday is not truly a PG, hence you now have to ask your center to, in addition to centering, be your PG (and oh, also be your best (only?) 3pt spacer). End result? Lots of turnovers that are maybe not there if you have a real PG to initiate things.

And turning the ball over in the final minute and handing the opposing team a victory is what ended the Pels chances last year. It's just not acceptable from your primary ballhandler. it's the very thing the primary ballhandler is supposed to prevent.
    Yes, I'm fully aware. So is the team, that's why we signed Rondo and Nelson so that Jrue wouldn't be the person forced to handle the ball in those situations. Unfortunately due to injuries and a wonky substitution, he was given that role. Like I explained in my above post, I'm not condemning Boogie, nor am I saying Jrue's turnover was fine. What I am saying is that if you are going to go on a crusade against turnovers, Jrue is NOT the right person to be starting with.

We better beat the everloving CRAP out of Dallas on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    We better beat the everloving CRAP out of Dallas on Friday!
    I agree. They're losing to everyone, we have to beat them and beat them decisively.

Banned
    We should have 7 wins in November.

There is a reason why the offensive schemes that Finch deployed in Denver worked and don't here.

I'll give you a guess.

We have way too many low IQ players.

That was a really bad loss everything considered. Really, really bad

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    There is a reason why the offensive schemes that Finch deployed in Denver worked and don't here.

I'll give you a guess.

yup

And Jrue is a bad shooting guard

Actually, so far Jrue is being Jrue. His numbers are very much in line with his career averages. Of course when you signed him to a $120 million+ contract, you are pricing in a significant improvement. Too soon to say that can't happen, particularly with Rondo's injury, but the early returns suggest that Jrue remains what he has been his entire Pels career--a solid two-way guard who has tendency to fold up in the clutch.

Who makes over 20 mil a year and averages only 14 points a game and disappears in clutch situations? Jrue!!
    Who draws up a play where Jrue drives the middle of the lane and all other 4 players stand completely still in a square around him watching from the 3 point line. No Chance for any of the 5 to succeed!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

I'll give you a guess.

Too early.

People on this board of have a quick panic button, but you have to remember Finch's system wasn't exactly singing for the Nuggets early last year either. Any system requiring a lot of reads and cuts takes time to sink in and become second nature. Until it does, you get a lot of miscommunications and turnovers.

However, hitting wide open standstill threes off of kick passes should be universally possible. Starting a game with intensity and hustle should too.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 11-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.

As long as AD and Boogie are playing 40 minutes a game, we're nevet going to see their full potential. Having them on the court for those long stretches is counter productive. Teams are recognizing and attacking them, making them play defense. And on Offense like Rel pointed out, they're settling for bad shots. That comes from exhaustion and trying to conserve energy to play 40+ minutes.

I'm not saying Boogie is to blame. I'm saying that if turnovers are your main problem, then you should be paying more attention the the guy with 8 than to the guy with 2. The Wolves had 28 points off turnovers tonight, and Jrue had 1 the whole game until the final minute. When we were down 4. We might have been up if there had been less turnovers throughout, and Jrue can't be blamed for the turnovers through the middle of the game because he didn't have any.

Of course saying we 'might' have been up is useless and entirely an assumption, but like I said, I'm not blaming Boogie I'm just saying if turnovers are your problem, Jrue isn't your man.
    It sounds like you're making excuses for Holiday's inability to produce and live up to his salary. He's supposed to be another scoring option besides AD and Cousins. If you're only looking at the state sheet than yes Boogie had more turnovers but Boogie handled the ball more and was more aggressive (you will have more turnover opportunities when you do that). Holiday has been terrible outside of the Cavaliers game. He has been ineffective and disinterested on the offensive side of the ball. He was no where to be found in the fourth quarter and he turned the ball over and shot an air ball during clutch time. You should hold Jrue to the same standards as AD and Boogie based on his contract and how Demps sold him to this fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Actually, so far Jrue is being Jrue. His numbers are very much in line with his career averages. Of course when you signed him to a $120 million+ contract, you are pricing in a significant improvement. Too soon to say that can't happen, particularly with Rondo's injury, but the early returns suggest that Jrue remains what he has been his entire Pels career--a solid two-way guard who has tendency to fold up in the clutch.
    Yeah he's a bigger less clutch (if that's even possible) Teague.

My real concerns for this game are pretty simple. Obviously turnovers are one, but that's been talked to death already. Slightly more unusual is rebounds: how do we get outrebounded in this? Obviously that causes problems from the get-go.

As well, where did the ball movement go? We had some great movement just a few games ago and it seems like no one wants to pass anymore.

Jrue needs to get out of his own head, send him to a hypnotist or something cause when he's just running, cutting, and shooting in the flow of things he's deadly. As soon as he gets two seconds to think, weird stuff happens.

Other stuff happened too, like the weird reffing on the three punches/slaps/elbows to Boogie's face, them swallowing the whistle when KAT tried to turn Tony into paste, etc, but that's out of our hands.

Plenty of blame to go around, and you could alter anybody's numbers to get a desired result. But the game was tied in the final minute when Tony Allen went in for a layup, and I think KAT may have goaltended it. So any of these things and the Pels may easily win:

-- Allen hits the go ahead layup, or the refs call KAT for goaltending
    -- Jrue doesn't take the other team's payoff and throw them the ball in the final seconds
    -- Cousins doesn't fall asleep on the last defensive play of the half, or throw that dumb turnover at the end of the first quarter letting Crawford hit the half courter
    -- Crawford misses the half courter like a normal human
    -- A.D. doesn't choke that pair of FTs in the 4th, or actually blocks out against KAT on his follow dunk in the 4th (the only hoop he had all night)
    -- Dante Cuninngham gives you slightly more than, oh 27min 3pts 0reb 0ast on 1-6 shooting. Seriously? I mean...SERIOUSLY??

People can call this a bad loss, and it was in that it was the Pels own damn fault. But it was right there to be won in the final minute, there was no blowout, the Wolves are another expected playoff team. There was nothing hopeless about this loss. You can change 1 play or 1 call and the Pels win. Just frustrating.

Thread Information