Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Predict the Big Move

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I'd rather find a stop gap at SF this year, have EG coming off the bench next year(so hopefully he will opt out), and add a good starting SF next offseason. We filled one or our two major holes this offseason with the Asik trade. This team can compete for the 7th or 8th seed in the west next year if we can stay healthy. That will make us more much attractive to FA SFs next year when we (hopefully) have the cap space to do so.
    In that scenario Pierce would be a stopgap, he only has 1 or 2 years left in the NBA

No. There is no argument where trading Ryno for Pierce makes any sense. You only make a move for. Pierce if you are contending this coming year. We are still a couple years from that. Makes zero sense. I'd rather keep EG than dump Ryno for Pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    In that scenario Pierce would be a stopgap, he only has 1 or 2 years left in the NBA
    Yeah, but I'm not giving up Ryno for a stopgap SF.

Right. But why trade Ryno for a stop gap when you can just sign one and keep Ryno? I think that is what most people are getting at.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Right. But why trade Ryno for a stop gap when you can just sign one and keep Ryno? I think that is what most people are getting at.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not giving up Ryno for a stopgap SF.
    It's only worth it if you believe the Pelicans would be competitive during those 1-2 years and then able to sign a good SF replacement using the cap space afterward.

Why because isn't there a possibility he's damaged goods??? Maybe he will never be the same and somebody is willing to give you something for him now before you are unable to get anything for him. Hard to think that's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Why because isn't there a possibility he's damaged goods??? Maybe he will never be the same and somebody is willing to give you something for him now before you are unable to get anything for him. Hard to think that's not possible.
    Maybe the Bulls should trade Derrick Rose for Jarett Jack, I mean Rose is possibly damaged goods.

Maybe the Thunder should trade Westbrook for Jeremy Lin. . . I mean Westbrook has had as many knee surgeries as EG in the same amount of time.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Maybe the Bulls should trade Derrick Rose for Jarett Jack, I mean Rose is possibly damaged goods.

Maybe the Thunder should trade Westbrook for Jeremy Lin. . . I mean Westbrook has had as many knee surgeries as EG in the same amount of time.
    Get out of here with that logic.

Not a 1 to 1 analogy because neither of those players are relegated to the bench due to their team having a superstar locked in ahead on the depth chart.

If by relegated to the bench you mean playing 30+ minutes but starting from the bench, that's all fine.

Not a 1 to 1 analogy because neither of those players are relegated to the bench due to their team having a superstar locked in ahead on the depth chart.
    Would OKC trade 2013-14 Reggie Jackson for the Boston Celtic version of Shaquille ONeal?

Neither Gordon or Anderson are traded. Maybe a backup like Rivers or someone else is traded. And this becomes the starting five:

Holiday
    Gordon
    Evans
    Davis
    Asik

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    If by relegated to the bench you mean playing 30+ minutes but starting from the bench, that's all fine.
    Asik should get +30 min at center
    Davis easily gets +30min

Maybe there's room for Ryno to play 30min some games but not all the time. he will only see the floor when Anthony Davis is on the bench or playing the 5. Now that the Pelicans have a legit NBA starting center I expect Davis will be spending a majority of his time at the 4.

A guy like J Smith can give quality minutes off the bench, but we have no one to play SF with the starting unit.

Predict the Big Move

Asik should get +30 min at center
    Davis easily gets +30min

Maybe there's room for Ryno to play 30min some games but not all the time. he will only see the floor when Anthony Davis is on the bench or playing the 5. Now that the Pelicans have a legit NBA starting center I expect Davis will be spending a majority of his time at the 4.

A guy like J Smith can give quality minutes off the bench, but we have no one to play SF with the starting unit.
    Um. Between PF and C there is 96 minutes. All 3 can easily average 30 minutes and I tend to believe Asik will be closer to 26-28 range.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-09-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: yes

Um. Between PF and C there is 96 minutes. All 3 can easily average 30 minutes and I tend to believe Asik will be closer to 26-28 range.
    Fully aware of the math when it comes to minutes between PF and C, thank you. Ryno doesn't play any position other than PF so in order for Ryno to get +30min Davis would have to spend less than 18 min a game at PF. I predict Anthony Davis will play the majority of his minutes at PF now that we have decent depth at the 5, and that makes it harder for Ryno to see the court.

Just so people are clear, when AD and Ryno were on the court last year, Ryno was the center. That is the position he was guarding.

I just wonder if we really want Ryno spending any minutes banging around with Centers.

I'm assuming he's healthy and the neck won't be an issue, but I still think you don't want to have that dude bodying up Dwight Howard or DeMarcus Cousins AT ALL anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ryan Anderson to Phoenix deal is still on the table. Phoenix didn't even try to resign Frye, and a stretch 4 was a big part of what they did last season.

Fully aware of the math when it comes to minutes between PF and C, thank you. Ryno doesn't play any position other than PF so in order for Ryno to get +30min Davis would have to spend less than 18 min a game at PF. I predict Anthony Davis will play the majority of his minutes at PF now that we have decent depth at the 5, and that makes it harder for Ryno to see the court.
    So Anderson isn't allowed to play with Asik? Am I missing something?

Asik/AD 20
    AD/Ryno 15
    Asik/Ryno 13

That probably wouldn't be the ideal breakdown, just disproving your flawed outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    So Anderson isn't allowed to play with Asik? Am I missing something?

Asik/AD 20
    AD/Ryno 15
    Asik/Ryno 13

That probably wouldn't be the ideal breakdown, just disproving your flawed outlook.
    Ryno is playing less than 30 min in this scenario (and no other backup is getting any minutes). You can't disprove basic math.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 07-09-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Ryno is playing less than 30 min in this scenario (and no other backup is getting any minutes). You can't disprove basic math.
    And you clearly don't understand averages. Sometimes Asik will play more, sometimes Ryno will. It's called matchups. Stop being so obtuse and think about the real world scenarios. There is no rule or law that says if Ryno doesn't play 30 minutes every game that he is being misused or underutilized.

Ryno's best season, he was putting up about 30 mpg before Howard went down. Gave us 30 mpg his first year here too.

If the Spurs are the model, would't 28-30 be ideal for both Asik and Ryno?

And where is the rule in the CBA that says you are required to play 4 bigs in a game?

Predict the Big Move

I predict our trade for Asik is a three way trade with Phoenix.

NO: Asik, T. Daniels, Gerald Green

Hou: 15' 1st round pick, Austin Rivers, Babbitt

Phx: Ryan Anderson, Aminu

We then sign Jameer Nelson and D. Blair.

Pg: Holiday/ Nelson/ Smith
    Sg: Gordon/ Daniels
    SF: Evans/ Green
    PF: Davis/ Blair/ Young
    C: Asik/ Withey/ Ajinca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 07-10-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adf

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I predict our trade for Asik is a three way trade with Phoenix.

NO: Asik, T. Daniels, Gerald Green

Hou: 15' 1st round pick, Austin Rivers, Babbitt

Phx: Ryan Anderson, Aminu

We then sign Jameer Nelson and D. Blair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DeJuan Blair? Not really feeling him. I like my bigs to have ACLs.

Thread Information