Pelicans Report

Thread: ESPN: Hornets Get Thumbs Up in Every Offseason Trade

ESPN: Hornets Get Thumbs Up in Every Offseason Trade

July 27:

New Orleans traded guard Jerome Dyson and center Brad Miller to Phoenix and three undisclosed second-round draft picks to Minnesota for cash. Minnesota will send forward Wesley Johnson and a future first-round pick to Phoenix, who will send center Robin Lopez and forward Hakim Warrick to New Orleans.

Hornets: New Orleans landed it starting center and a top-notch bench scorer for virtually nothing. Thumbs up

Suns: Because the Johnson-Michael Beasley combo at three was just so good for Minnesota. Thumbs down

The Philadelphia 76ers acquired forward Dorell Wright from the Golden State Warriors. The 76ers acquired center Darryl Watkins from New Orleans for the rights to forward Edin Bavcic. Golden State acquires Bavcic and Jarrett Jack.

76ers: While Wright offers additional bench versatility for Doug Collins, the Sixers' offseason direction is a little hard to ascertain. Thumbs down

Hornets: New Orleans was simply clearing away pieces it didn't need. Thumbs up

Warriors: Jack brings a solid veteran option as a backup for Stephen Curry, who can also function as a starter. Given Curry's ankle problems, that was an important hole to plug. Thumbs up

Orlando Magic signed forward Ryan Anderson and traded him to New Orleans Hornets for forward Gustavo Ayon.

Hornets: Are you kidding? This was one of the steals of the offseason. Thumbs way up

Magic: Ayon is useful and Orlando is trying to create flexibility for its post-Dwight future, but Anderson is just too good to give up for this return. Orlando could have re-signed him and traded him later. Thumbs down

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...fseason-trades

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Indeed. Anyone that isn't pleased with how efficiently and completely Dell has turned this roster around is just complaining for complaining's sake.

His moves don't all have to be homeruns, but they all move the team forward.

I would have really liked to have gotten Dorell Wright. It would have eliminated the possibility of a Lopez deal though most likely so i'm fine with it not happening. Aminu can't be a starter on a playoff team just yet.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Demps doing work.
    @DanielVeuleman

They also forgot to mention the fact that we dumped our 2 worst contracts for a 2nd round pick

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    They also forgot to mention the fact that we dumped our 2 worst contracts for a 2nd round pick
    That's the trade of the decade. Truly unbelievable.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

ohhhh i completly forgot about Mek and Ariza lol

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Don't forget the 30 million in cap space over this year an next, and yes 78 that trade is still unbelievable in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Don't forget the 30 million in cap space over this year an next, and yes 78 that trade is still unbelievable in my mind.
    I think my favorite part about the current roster is the way you've got a few key guys locked up in longer deals, and everyone else is on shorter or non-guaranteed deals. They can easily free up even more money next off-season if the right opportunity arises.
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

I just cant wait to see how it all pans out...Time seems to be going a little slow these days thinking about that tipoff game. I think we all know this is gonna work out in no more than 2 years if we get a good player in free agency next off season. Go Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    That's the trade of the decade. Truly unbelievable.
    It is seriously in the discussion... We traded over $20 million in salary next year for a 2nd round pick. That is a max contract player.... for a 2nd round pick..... amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    ohhhh i completly forgot about Mek and Ariza lol
    With out that trade, none of this is possible. We basically traded Mek, Ariza, Gustavo, and Jack for Ryan Anderson, Lopez, and enough cap space to sign a max player.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Here's what the salaries look like next season:

Gordon ($14.3 million), Anderson ($8.3 million), Davis ($5.4 million), Lopez ($5 million), Aminu ($3.7 million), Henry ($3.2 million), JSmith ($2.5 million), Rivers ($2.3 million), and Vasquez ($2.15 million) combine for $46.8 million on the books.

Drop Henry from that ($16.4 million in cap space on a $60 million dollar cap), and we can afford to give an RFA a max contract.

Drop Lopez from that ($21.4 million in cap space on a $60 million dollar cap), and we can afford to give anyone a max contract.

^ Are you taking into account cap holds on roster spots up to the minimum roster size?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    ^ Are you taking into account cap holds on roster spots up to the minimum roster size?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    We could release our cap holds, which we will do, and the only real cap hold we would have is our 1st round pick. Which, if we sign an RFA, we'll probably have to do an S&T in which we will give them the pick. Minimum roster spots are very small cap holds, so it shouldn't be anything ground breaking. The number should be in that neighborhood.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Here's what the salaries look like next season:

Gordon ($14.3 million), Anderson ($8.3 million), Davis ($5.4 million), Lopez ($5 million), Aminu ($3.7 million), Henry ($3.2 million), JSmith ($2.5 million), Rivers ($2.3 million), and Vasquez ($2.15 million) combine for $46.8 million on the books.

Drop Henry from that ($16.4 million in cap space on a $60 million dollar cap), and we can afford to give an RFA a max contract.

Drop Lopez from that ($21.4 million in cap space on a $60 million dollar cap), and we can afford to give anyone a max contract.
    thanks for this post. i think we would really be OK if we dropped henry and used that 16-17mil on a rfa, but that is what is amazing about lopez's last 2 years being non guaranteed (if that report is correct). if it doenst work out this year we can get rid of him at no hit to us.

o and also that 3.7 million for aminu is a team option, that could also be a place where we free up some space if need be. my point is we have plenty of options for next year and i like the direction this team is headed. once again, thanks for the breakdown.

What makes you think the cap will be 60 Million next year when it was 58 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    thanks for this post. i think we would really be OK if we dropped henry and used that 16-17mil on a rfa, but that is what is amazing about lopez's last 2 years being non guaranteed (if that report is correct). if it doenst work out this year we can get rid of him at no hit to us.

o and also that 3.7 million for aminu is a team option, that could also be a place where we free up some space if need be. my point is we have plenty of options for next year and i like the direction this team is headed. once again, thanks for the breakdown.
    NP man. The post isn't 100% accurate in that it doesn't account for cap holds, but it gives you the big picture. Demps has a lot of cap flexibility going forward. We could trim some fat in order to sign a true max player, or we could keep the team as is and go after a guy in the $10-12 range, ala Iggy (if we trade for him) or Pekovic or someone of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    What makes you think the cap will be 60 Million next year when it was 58 this year?
    Lots of speculation from the talking heads that the cap will raise up $2 million.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 08-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    www.cbafaq.com

13. How is the salary cap set each year?

For 2011-12 the league and players association agreed to use a set figure of $58.044 million, which was the same as the 2010-11 cap.

Starting in 2012-13 the salary cap is calculated based on projected amounts for Basketball Related Income (BRI) and benefits for the upcoming season. The projected BRI is a matter of negotiation between the league and players association. Each year the sides meet to try to agree on an amount. If they cannot agree before the end of the July Moratorium, they instead use:

The set amount for national broadcast rights (which is determined in advance), plus
    The BRI for the previous season (other than national broadcast rights), increased by 4.5%.
    The salary cap calculation beginning in 2012-13 takes 44.74% of projected BRI, subtracts projected benefits, and divides by the number of teams in the league1.

In 2012-13 the salary cap was guaranteed to be at least $58.044 million if the calculation produced a lower amount. This prevented a drop in the salary cap as a result of a drop in revenues due to the 2011 lockout.

Starting in 2013-14, the following adjustments are made to the salary cap calculation each season:

If the league didn't pay the players enough the previous season, i.e., if they had to cut the players a supplemental check to make their guarantee, then the shortfall, divided by the number of teams in the league1, is added to the cap. For example, if the players are paid $15 million less in 2012-13 than they are guaranteed, then the 2013-14 cap is adjusted upward by $500,000.
    If there is an overage -- i.e., if the players were paid more (pre-escrow) than their guaranteed share in the previous season -- and the system is getting close to exceeding what the league can get back through the escrow system, then the cap (and tax level) may be reduced in order to put on the brakes (see question number 20 for more information).
    Here are the salary cap amounts for each season under the 2011 CBA:

Season Salary cap
    2011-12 $58.044 million
    2012-13 $58.044 million
    The salary cap adjusts each year on the first day following the July Moratorium (see question number 101).

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Minimum roster spots are very small cap holds, so it shouldn't be anything ground breaking. The number should be in that neighborhood.
    They're actually nearly $475k each to get you up to 12 roster spots. If you drop Henry and Lopez you would need 5 minimum holds or about $2.4 million total. Using your calculations you'd still have $19 million and could go after a max player so it's not deal breaking, but it is significant enough to note.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    They're actually nearly $475k each to get you up to 12 roster spots. If you drop Henry and Lopez you would need 5 minimum holds or about $2.4 million total. Using your calculations you'd still have $19 million and could go after a max player so it's not deal breaking, but it is significant enough to note.
    True. That's why I said it's not exact, but it's in the neighborhood. Moreover, depending on which route we take, we may not have to cut anyone at all.

For example, say we go after an RFA like Harden or Ibaka, we would have to acquire him via S&T. We would probably send out a package of something like Lopez, Henry, and our 1st round pick. The salaries don't have to match because we are below the cap enough to absorb the extra cap hit, and the return team gets 2 young players that they can either keep or choose not to exercise their team option which gives them cap space. Contracts like Henry and Lopez are very desirable. Great trade pieces.

Good point though. And like you said, $19 is still enough to sign a max player.

I love it
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I definitely think that the hornets deserve thumbs up on all of those trades, but I'm not sure the suns should get a thumbs down. They shed a contract they didn't want and a player they weren't in love with for a first round pick and a project wing. I think they did all right.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    All we should hope for is that the team is better than last season. That is what every team is trying to do. The thing is, the Hornets have done it. I can't until the season begins.

Thread Information