Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Our 2013 Free Agency

If we could get Bledsoe I think that would be a perfect fit. But the above value (Vazquez, Lopez, and Aminu) values him as an above average backup. The Clips definitely think he is worth more than that. We would need to throw at least one 1st rounder in there and as much as I love Bledsoe, I don't know if he would be worth what it would take to get him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Jeff Teague is another guy I like.
    Teague is the one I love above all. Getting Jeff will not be costy as if we was to get Jennings, we will have cap to address other positions and more for future stuff like; re-signing Davis, Rivers etc. Teague is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    If we could get Bledsoe I think that would be a perfect fit. But the above value (Vazquez, Lopez, and Aminu) values him as an above average backup. The Clips definitely think he is worth more than that. We would need to throw at least one 1st rounder in there and as much as I love Bledsoe, I don't know if he would be worth what it would take to get him.
    I don't think you quite understand the value of Vasquez, and especially Lopez.

Vasquez is a premiere backup in this league, and he can run a 2nd unit against lower quality opponents. That's valuable. Remember when we had CP leave the game and everything stopped? We'd have an 8 point lead, and by the time Paul got back into the game, we were down by 5. That's because we never had a backup PG to keep things moving.

Lopez is a very solid Center, and his PER for the season is almost 20 (very high). He is also on one of the best contracts in the league, and he is a legit 7-footer with decent athleticism. The only reason we would look to trade him is to spread the wealth on our roster. Davis, Anderson, and Smith are fine taking the majority of the minutes for our bigs. Toss is a guy like Thomas or another FA big, and we're set at the position.

We need playmakers at PG and SF. Bledsoe's advanced metrics are phenomenal, but he'll never reach his potential playing behind Chris Paul. They are going to trade him for sure, and they won't find much better than Lopez and Vasquez for Bledsoe and Odom.

Slim, since you seem to be the highest on getting Bledsoe, would you prefer him over Brandon Jennings?

Billups and Crawford make Bledsoe expendable for the Clippers. In the playoffs, CP3 is playing 38 minutes and Billups and Crawford's experience will ensure that he gets minutes over Bledsoe. On the flip side, they lack a true backup center. Vasquez and Lopez will have a bigger impact on their team in the playoffs than Bledsoe would. I think they would pull the trigger on that personally
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I don't think you quite understand the value of Vasquez, and especially Lopez.

Vasquez is a premiere backup in this league, and he can run a 2nd unit against lower quality opponents. That's valuable. Remember when we had CP leave the game and everything stopped? We'd have an 8 point lead, and by the time Paul got back into the game, we were down by 5. That's because we never had a backup PG to keep things moving.

Lopez is a very solid Center, and his PER for the season is almost 20 (very high). He is also on one of the best contracts in the league, and he is a legit 7-footer with decent athleticism. The only reason we would look to trade him is to spread the wealth on our roster. Davis, Anderson, and Smith are fine taking the majority of the minutes for our bigs. Toss is a guy like Thomas or another FA big, and we're set at the position.

We need playmakers at PG and SF. Bledsoe's advanced metrics are phenomenal, but he'll never reach his potential playing behind Chris Paul. They are going to trade him for sure, and they won't find much better than Lopez and Vasquez for Bledsoe and Odom.
    Vazquez is what he is. Which is a solid, not spectacular, backup who can run an offense and not much else. He doesn't have any elite traits that make him a hot commodity in the league. He has horrible footspeed and is a liability on defense. His shot is erratic and he doesn't have the athleticism to blow by people to get into the lane. He is a solid role player but is not exactly a rare breed in the NBA.

Robin Lopez is decent. Thats about it. His stats are a little bloated because of his extra playing time but he has been a serviceable player this year. He does not have decent athleticism. He has no athleticism. He cannot jump. He is slow. He is very tall, which is really his only physical advantage. He has a decent post game, but nothing to write home about. He does not rebound well, especially for his height. And he is a backup on a legitimate contender with little potential.

Eric Bledsoe is a special talent. His athleticism is through the roof. He is one of the fastest and quickest players in the game and he is an amazing finisher when he gets to the rim. He is a defensive fiend who is able to stay in front of almost any point guard you can name. He averages 3 steals/36 and has a PER of 24 which is extremely impressive. And he's 23. He is a very valuable asset and it would take so much more to get him than a solid backup PG and C.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    Slim, since you seem to be the highest on getting Bledsoe, would you prefer him over Brandon Jennings?
    As a straight up player? No, I wouldn't. I think Jennings is much more developed offensively, and he can be a good defender once Monty gets a hold of him. Bledsoe would be the cheaper, more defensive-minded option.

It depends, though, on how much Jennings wants. If we can get him for $10 mil/year, then I'd pull the trigger, but Bledsoe is locked up next year on his rookie deal, so we could stretch our cap dollars that way. If we could get Jennings for a Ryan Anderson type of deal (trade the Bucks Vasquez or Aminu so that way they get something instead of nothing), then you have to do that deal if you're Dell Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Billups and Crawford make Bledsoe expendable for the Clippers. In the playoffs, CP3 is playing 38 minutes and Billups and Crawford's experience will ensure that he gets minutes over Bledsoe. On the flip side, they lack a true backup center. Vasquez and Lopez will have a bigger impact on their team in the playoffs than Bledsoe would. I think they would pull the trigger on that personally
    That's what I'm saying. Good post.

he is a backup on a legitimate contender .
    He would start for miami or okc

Vazquez is what he is. Which is a solid, not spectacular, backup who can run an offense and not much else. He doesn't have any elite traits that make him a hot commodity in the league. He has horrible footspeed and is a liability on defense. His shot is erratic and he doesn't have the athleticism to blow by people to get into the lane. He is a solid role player but is not exactly a rare breed in the NBA.

Robin Lopez is decent. Thats about it. His stats are a little bloated because of his extra playing time but he has been a serviceable player this year. He does not have decent athleticism. He has no athleticism. He cannot jump. He is slow. He is very tall, which is really his only physical advantage. He has a decent post game, but nothing to write home about. He does not rebound well, especially for his height. And he is a backup on a legitimate contender with little potential.

Eric Bledsoe is a special talent. His athleticism is through the roof. He is one of the fastest and quickest players in the game and he is an amazing finisher when he gets to the rim. He is a defensive fiend who is able to stay in front of almost any point guard you can name. He averages 3 steals/36 and has a PER of 24 which is extremely impressive. And he's 23. He is a very valuable asset and it would take so much more to get him than a solid backup PG and C.
    We disagree about Vasquez and Lopez. As far as Bledsoe goes, he doesn't have much of an offensive game to speak of. He needs to work on his shot, his passing skills are almost non-existent, and he can't run an offense. He also had to have surgery on his knee 2 years ago, which is a major red flag for a young PG that relies solely on his athleticism. There are a lot of red-flags with Bledsoe, so don't get things twisted.

Our 2013 Free Agency

Bledsoe
    Gordon
    Poythress
    Davis
    Pekovic

That'd be a nice lineup

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Bledsoe
    Gordon
    Poythress
    Davis
    Pekovic

That'd be a nice lineup
    Switch out Pek with Al Jefferson, and I'd agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Bledsoe
    Gordon
    Poythress
    Davis
    Pekovic

That'd be a nice lineup
    I watched Poythress the other day and wasn't very impressed, but it was only one game. I like the idea of getting Bledsoe alot but like the idea of trading for Jennings more. I've been watching the Bucks as much as possible this year just to watch Jennings and he is far better than any guard we have. I've also been very impressed by Larry Sanders and wish we could trade for him too, but I doubt Milwaukee would give him up for what we could offer. He's not really a need either, but young and productive. His numbers are increasing every year. And i'm still holding out hope we can draft Cody Zeller so we won't need to sign Jefferson or Pekovic. A man can dream can't he?

I watched Poythress the other day and wasn't very impressed, but it was only one game. I like the idea of getting Bledsoe alot but like the idea of trading for Jennings more. I've been watching the Bucks as much as possible this year just to watch Jennings and he is far better than any guard we have. I've also been very impressed by Larry Sanders and wish we could trade for him too, but I doubt Milwaukee would give him up for what we could offer. He's not really a need either, but young and productive. His numbers are increasing every year. And i'm still holding out hope we can draft Cody Zeller so we won't need to sign Jefferson or Pekovic. A man can dream can't he?
    I'd wet my pants if we could somehow pair Zeller with Davis.

You and me both. If we could trade Lopez, Vazques, and Aminu/Henry and a second round pick for Jennings and land Zeller that would be a damn good team. With a healthy Gordon, and Rivers and Ryno coming off the bench our only hole would be at sf.

Jennings/Rivers/Roberts
    Gordon/Rivers/Roberts
    ?/Miller
    Davis/Anderson
    Zeller/Smith

I like that roster A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    He would start for miami or okc
    Over who?

Over who?
    anyone on those teams but ibaka

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    anyone on those teams but ibaka
    I don't think Lopez would start over Perkins, and Bosh playing C/PF works for Miami.

Eric Bledsoe is a really intriguing prospect.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I don't think Lopez would start over Perkins, and Bosh playing C/PF works for Miami.
    lopez = perkins with slightly more offense (both are lumberers with solid interior D, set good screens, are average rebounders, poor PnR defenders and slow on close outs etc.)

But yeah i guess im forgetting that both of those teams play small ball like 90% of the time (as they should; not many teams can't make them pay for it.)

After watching a couple of Clips games.. Bledsoe is my main target if he comes at the right price. I think Beldsoe/Vasquez is a great combo.

Ehh. Don't sleep on Austin, guys. I mean, we still haven't seen a game of EG and AR together, which for all we know could be pure gold. If we keep changing up the roster like you guys suggest, we'll never have any tenured Pelicans . Still waiting to see the full result before I ask for anything other than some solid role players.
    Last edited by iNolaNightmare; 12-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.

cody zeller put up 19 and 19 last night, he is the perfect player to put next to davis for his offense, healthy gordon, sign FA small forward, championship

Greivis/Rivers
    Gordon/Xavier
    Iggy/Miller
    Davis/Ryno
    Zeller/Lopez

this team would have the perfect blend of O and D.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 12-10-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    All this is great in theory. Of course we would love to keep our 4 bigs and just add pieces without giving anything up, but that is easier said than done. Nobody wants Gordon, Aminu and Henry have no trade value, and Davis and Anderson are untouchable. That leaves Lopez as the most valuable trade chip IMO. If he has to be a part of a package to get a PG or SF, I do it without hesitation. Dell went and got Gustavo out of nowhere, the team has developed Jason Smith and Lance Thomas into quality basketball players, so I have faith they can find another big to play the 12-15 minutes needed to suppliment our fantastic trio.

And the Clippers trade would have to be something like Lopez and Vasquez for Bledsoe and Odom's expiring, which I would do in a heartbeat
    While I agree with most of this, I disagree about trading Lopez. Lopez and Vasquez are probably the best combination we could put together in a trade, and I don't know what we can really get for that will be worth moving out Lopez. There's no way we're going to get Bledsoe from that and I really doubt that anything significant long term can come from those two only. Perhaps I'm wrong about their value around the league. Maybe we could get Nic Batum from Portland for Lopez/Vasuqez/Aminu. If we can get a long term starter from a deal including Lopez I do it, but I just doubt the chances of us being able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    cody zeller put up 19 and 19 last night, he is the perfect player to put next to davis for his offense, healthy gordon, sign FA small forward, championship

Greivis/Rivers
    Gordon/Xavier
    Iggy/Miller
    Davis/Ryno
    Zeller/Lopez

this team would have the perfect blend of O and D.
    Keeping Lopez over Smith? Ehh... I don't know about that. Your idea is similar to the one I posted above, except you prefer getting Iggy to Jennings. I would prefer Jennings because he is younger and will be slightly cheaper. He would also be easier to attract, IMO. I think Iggy is going to resign with the Nuggets because they're willing to pay him what he wants and they're a contender. So I like your idea, I just think Jennings is more realistic than Iggy.

Thread Information