Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Tweet From The VooDoo (Possibly But Probably Not Hornets Related)

Tom Benson loves the name VooDoo since he used to own them.... I assume he had to notice how much backlash a lot of people outside the city gave the name in the media and put 2 and 2 together. A man can dream

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean this thread hasn't been up long. Who been knockin' on their doors tweeting questions? Or do they have a little birdies that saw and went back to the nest?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean this thread hasn't been up long. Who been knockin' on their doors tweeting questions? Or do they have a little birdies that saw and went back to the nest?
    Earlier I googled Voodoo and name change. Didn't see any anything. If they took it down it wasn't because it's getting around.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Earlier I googled Voodoo and name change. Didn't see any anything. If they took it down it wasn't because it's getting around.
    Interesting. Doesn't discount word of mouth, texts, or emails though. But still...

Not in my top choices, but def a step above the damn Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I think that tweet has been deleted.
    looks like it has... I can assure you it was there and my quote was a copy/paste job
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    I also saw the tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's random and vague enough to be an accidental tweet. Maybe the guy that runs the Voodoo twitter thought he was direct messaging someone.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    It's random and vague enough to be an accidental tweet. Maybe the guy that runs the Voodoo twitter thought he was direct messaging someone.
    Eh. Very possible.

But why murder hope in its sleep?

VooDoo or Carnival would be the best fits since Jazz is not available.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Lets face it, most of the time things like this are blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    that was in late november... wouldn't seem to make sense if they tweeted about it two weeks late
    Whatever you say, both the AFL twitter and the VooDoo tweeted about signing him today, that's what I was going on
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Come on Voodoo Pelicans! ...or Pelican Voodoo. Please tell me a pelican practicing voodoo isn't scary
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Tom Benson loves the name VooDoo since he used to own them.... I assume he had to notice how much backlash a lot of people outside the city gave the name in the media and put 2 and 2 together. A man can dream
    Prob someone mistakenly tweeted on that account however you do bring up a good point about Benson liking the name.

I mean hasn't he owned the Pelican trademark for many years yet when it came time for him to own a new team in 04 he named them the Voodoo and not the Pelicans. Add that to the hornet247 guys info of him trying to purchase back the name and the colors going from black to navy makes me think he preferred voodoo but the AFL wouldn't budge or wouldn't sell but its too late now anyways.

Now, which one of you naughty children been messin' with the Shadow Man?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

VooDoo is clearly the best possible nickname. I am okay with Pelicans but I'd kill for VooDoo. It is absolutely perfect in regards to basketball, intimidating, and meshing our culture.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Voodoo is perfect.

I live in downtown Milwaukee. If we rebrand to "Pelicans" I'll probably buy an AD23 jersey tshirt or something. If we rebraned to VooDoo I would rock tshirts, authentic shorts, warmup jacket, etc to the gym regularly. It would be up there with my Saints/LSU gear. Would be so proud of that nickname. Pelicans is funky and cool if done right, but I am pretty sure we'd ruin it by trying to make it all serious and "intimidating" like that horrendous logo that everybody but me loves. I hate that damn logo with the mean looking pelican flying above the wordcrest. It needs to be goofy and fun like a Seymour D. Fair/Baltimore Orioles cartoon bird caricature for it to be cool.

The great thing about Voodoo is that there's no possible way it could be messed up. The way the AFL team did it with Benson was perfect. If we went a little more urban for the NBA it would be perfect. The main guy should definitely be African American in my opinion - kind of like that Disney character guy from that movie that was set in New Orleans. Does any major league team have an African American as their mascot? It would be a brilliant marketing move - absolutely brilliant. And it wouldn't be "pandering" because Voodoo is of African/Caribbean/Creole origin.

Seriously - somebody put a spinning basketball in this cat's hand instead of the cards and you're done. Top 5 selling merchandise in the NBA instantly. Would be the "Charlotte Hornets" phenomenon of the 2010's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facilier.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	4523
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-13-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Looking like a season. How u

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    The great thing about Voodoo is that there's no possible way it could be messed up. The way the AFL team did it with Benson was perfect. If we went a little more urban for the NBA it would be perfect. The main guy should definitely be African American in my opinion - kind of like that Disney character guy from that movie that was set in New Orleans. Does any major league team have an African American as their mascot? It would be a brilliant marketing move - absolutely brilliant. And it wouldn't be "pandering" because Voodoo is of African/Caribbean/Creole origin.
    like Papa Shango?

like Papa Shango?

I can dig this. Forgive Jesus.....
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    I live in downtown Milwaukee. If we rebrand to "Pelicans" I'll probably buy an AD23 jersey tshirt or something. If we rebraned to VooDoo I would rock tshirts, authentic shorts, warmup jacket, etc to the gym regularly. It would be up there with my Saints/LSU gear. Would be so proud of that nickname. Pelicans is funky and cool if done right, but I am pretty sure we'd ruin it by trying to make it all serious and "intimidating" like that horrendous logo that everybody but me loves. I hate that damn logo with the mean looking pelican flying above the wordcrest. It needs to be goofy and fun like a Seymour D. Fair/Baltimore Orioles cartoon bird caricature for it to be cool.

Seriously - somebody put a spinning basketball in this cat's hand instead of the cards and you're done. Top 5 selling merchandise in the NBA instantly. Would be the "Charlotte Hornets" phenomenon of the 2010's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facilier.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	4523
    Great post. I'd support the move, no doubt. It seems to be the most popular of potential names as well. Great point about the african american logo/mascot. That would be a brilliant marketing move and would be a HUGE seller in *ahem* certain markets.
    Wherehappens.

Serious question - why exactly would Benson have to buy the "Voodoo" name from the dopey AFL team?

A) Benson pioneered that name/concept himself and has definitive proof that would likely hold up in any court.
    B) There are historical examples of multiple teams in the same city sharing the same name (St. Louis Cardinals, for one). Why would this have to be different if you made a distinction such as having the offical name be "New Orleans Voodoo Basketball Club" when you license it. There are plenty of businesses in the same metro market that share a name - just pull out your phonebook and have a looksee.
    C) The "brand confusion" between Voodoo basketball and arena football in our market would be a non-issue. NBA trumps AFL every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    D) The Arena Football league is in its death throes. It's a stupid hybrid sport that for some reason enjoyed a brief period of moderate success thanks to overzealous NBC trying to "get football back" somehow, and before ESPN decided that Soccer (MLS and International) was a better way to go for future/young demographics. AFL national TV deals are over. Never again will AFL be on a major television network. It is the equivalent of professional lacrosse - a niche sport for people with weird taste.
    Last edited by WisconsinHornet; 12-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Did Dan Newman buy the Voodoo name from Benson?

Thread Information