Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to be rebranded the New Orleans Cardinals?

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Let's be brutally honest here...We're not like Oklahoma City and others, who have a rabid appreciation for both basketball and football.
    If you want to be brutally honest, Shreveport 2.0 will never have an NFL franchise or even host an NBA All-Star game, so what else are they going to get rabid about?

But all seriousness though, I think Krewe or Knights (Krewe being my favorite) would work beautifully in the rebrand, and connecting New Orleans to OUR team. All anyone has to do is google Krewe and you can see all the Mardi Gras pictures and different names Krewe can bring. http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/parades.html

For example, the Krewe of Cresent City

IM just saying, it pulls in everything that everyone on here is wanting... 1) Unique team, no one has this name or anything close!!! 2) The Colors/Imagery work well together(mardi gras colors/theme) 3)It is TOTALLY "New Orleans," cant get anymore New Orleanian 4) Will have its own ties to the City not needing the Saints, and in no way connected to the Saints.

Like i said this is the best name we could get that meets everyones criteria. We could use a jester like float "rider" as our new Hugo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-Krewe-of-de-Feet.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	3770

Quote Originally Posted by TheBEEZkneez View Post
    But all seriousness though, I think Krewe or Knights (Krewe being my favorite) would work beautifully in the rebrand, and connecting New Orleans to OUR team. All anyone has to do is google Krewe and you can see all the Mardi Gras pictures and different names Krewe can bring. http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/parades.html

For example, the Krewe of Cresent City

IM just saying, it pulls in everything that everyone on here is wanting... 1) Unique team, no one has this name or anything close!!! 2) The Colors/Imagery work well together(mardi gras colors/theme) 3)It is TOTALLY "New Orleans," cant get anymore New Orleanian 4) Will have its own ties to the City not needing the Saints, and in no way connected to the Saints.

Like i said this is the best name we could get that meets everyones criteria. We could use a jester like float "rider" as our new Hugo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-Krewe-of-de-Feet.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	3770
    Here's my issue with Krewe. Even though it's a legitimate New Orleans thing, and the word is ours, to me, a New Orleans native, it looks silly. It's a weird word to me, mostly because I was taught from a young age that C makes the noise in that word rather than K, unless you played Mortal Kombat. Further, it means nothing to anybody else who isn't from here.

"So what? We're New Orleans and we don't care!"

Well it goes a little deeper than that. To anyone else, it ISN'T something unique and different. To them, it's a blatant misspelling of Crew. And I just don't think the NBA would sign off on a name that brings to mind cartoony misspelling of words. Especially with a jester mascot.

Plus, as a New Orleanian, I honestly don't think Krewe is that central to my city. Maybe that's because I'm not a Mardi Gras kind of guy, but it just doesn't fit for me.

At the end of the day, if they became Krewe, I wouldn't cry about it, or stop supporting the team. I just don't like it at all and hope we can go in any other direction. Even Cardinals over Krewe to me. As long as it isn't Kardinals.

black gold and teal is cool with me

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    and teal
    No.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Well... if it were down to the "Spirit" and the "Cardinals"... I'd run with Cardinals.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I think Krewe is perfect. It's New Orleans, even though it's not overly sentimental or meaningful. A crew is a close knit group. New Orleans is a close knit city (or at least thats the hope). Krewe to the outsider is play on the word crew. Krewe's are unique to New Orleans. Simple and direct.
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 05-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Here's my issue with Krewe. Even though it's a legitimate New Orleans thing, and the word is ours, to me, a New Orleans native, it looks silly. It's a weird word to me, mostly because I was taught from a young age that C makes the noise in that word rather than K, unless you played Mortal Kombat. Further, it means nothing to anybody else who isn't from here.

Well it goes a little deeper than that. To anyone else, it ISN'T something unique and different. To them, it's a blatant misspelling of Crew. And I just don't think the NBA would sign off on a name that brings to mind cartoony misspelling of words. Especially with a jester mascot.

Plus, as a New Orleanian, I honestly don't think Krewe is that central to my city. Maybe that's because I'm not a Mardi Gras kind of guy, but it just doesn't fit for me.

At the end of the day, if they became Krewe, I wouldn't cry about it, or stop supporting the team. I just don't like it at all and hope we can go in any other direction. Even Cardinals over Krewe to me. As long as it isn't Kardinals.
    I don't think it's a "blatent mispelling", i think it's a different spelling. I don't love it or hate it, but i do think it is very NOLA specific which I like. To have a Jester as the mascot, eh no thanks. I think this is some issue you have and you certainly have a right to have that issue or a preference for a name; But for me personally it doesn't bother me, esp since im not very anal-retentive about spellings and pronounciation. I think the reason it is special is because it is authentic and no one else gets it. I mean really what the heck does a Laker mean to the rest of the world besides Minn?

"archaizing or fanciful spelling of crew; generalized from the Mistick Krewe of Comus, the first such organization or club, founded in New Orleans in 1857."

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Benson has already spent money to secure the rights to "New Orleans Pelicans"

Pelicans can be mean SOBs too:

I wouldn't be mad or glad about cardinals. That's actually pretty cool how they came up with cardinals and saints. I really like the colors of black, gold, and red. That sounds pretty bad @ss!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    All depends on the logo. I think the main reason we can't take pelicans seriously is cuz we imagine them with those big silly bloated sacks under their beaks. Or I do anyway.

actual, real life hornets are usually black & gold ....

y'know, if we didnt want to change the name and all because of lack of better options
    asdfghjkl;'

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    tbh, i would much rather cardinals than spirit or angels

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix View Post
    actual, real life hornets are usually black & gold ....

y'know, if we didnt want to change the name and all because of lack of better options
    Hehe. Real smooth and subtle there, guy.

Because a bird is more threatening than a hornet.

Some of these names are crazy to me.
    aka Hornet Blood

Credit: wopester

Quote Originally Posted by TealNest View Post

You want threatening? Then how about the New Orleans Apocalypse? Nothing is scarier than the total annihilation of life as we know it.

Except for whatever Snooki gives birth to.

The New Orleans Snooki Spawn

Cardinals is 100000x better than Arcangels..... That terrible name just sounds like a name of one of the Mardi Gras dance groups comprised of overweight 40 year old women wearing too much make up.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGetWaffles View Post
    Cardinals is 100000x better than Arcangels..... That terrible name just sounds like a name of one of the Mardi Gras dance groups comprised of overweight 40 year old women wearing too much make up.
    Arcangels...................................

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You want threatening? Then how about the New Orleans Apocalypse? Nothing is scarier than the total annihilation of life as we know it.

Except for whatever Snooki gives birth to.
    Actually that sounds pretty badass. I still want the Hornets to stay, but yeah.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TealNest View Post

We arn't rebranding to be more threatening. You don't even need to be threatening to be successful, ask the Celtics, Lakers and Knicks. The three most profitable brands in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post

I agree with you a lot, JNR. Krewe would sound pretty cartoony to me, and a jester mascot? The very role of a jester was/is to be a clown and entertain nobility. Is that how you would want your basketball team represented? A Krewe of Klowns?

And Cardinals? Isn't the Saints Catholic reference enough? It's 2012 now, do we really need the religious baggage tied to this franchise, too?

I think whoever's marketing this re-brand needs to peer behind the usual masks that Nola represents to visiting tourists (Mardi Gras, Bourbon St. partying, Katrina, etc.) The Jazz Music connection is usual, but it's positive and relevant.
    'Jazz' taken, 'Brass' already used for the minorleague hokey team, and calling the team the Blues wouldn't make for exciting up-tempo basketball ;... I think New Orleans Soul would be a great name, and it's one that has been earned by the perseverance through the recent hardships in the past seven years...

...and plus, the initials would be NOS, and that energy drink could become a sponsor. Once it agrees to use only all-natural ingredients that's been proven not to give drinkers a heart-attack.

New Orleans Jesters (NOJ)

I've since changed my mind and can see the New Orleans Jesters (NOJ) would revolutionize the way basketball would be played in the NBA.
    They embrace the Jester theme and trade Ariza and Jarret Jack to the Lakers for Ron Artest. Ron Artest becomes the Co-Captain alongside Eric Gordo`n. The Jesters then trade for jaVaLe MgGee and sign Dennis Rodman out of retirement.

With a line-up of:

MgGee
    Rodman
    Artest
    Gordon
    Vasquez

...there's bound to be some funny (but effective?) play from that frontcourt

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    I think whoever's marketing this re-brand needs to peer behind the usual masks that Nola represents to visiting tourists (Mardi Gras, Bourbon St. partying, Katrina, etc.) The Jazz Music connection is usual, but it's positive and relevant.
    'Jazz' taken, 'Brass' already used for the minorleague hokey team, and calling the team the Blues wouldn't make for exciting up-tempo basketball ;... I think New Orleans Soul would be a great name, and it's one that has been earned by the perseverance through the recent hardships in the past seven years...

...and plus, the initials would be NOS, and that energy drink could become a sponsor. Once it agrees to use only all-natural ingredients that's been proven not to give drinkers a heart-attack.
    I could get behind Soul. It could be cool with just the right branding. Unfortunately, people would poo poo it as a WNBA sounding name, which in itself actually does create a conflict since there is actually a team in the WNBA called the Connecticut Soul.

Thread Information