Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How close to untouchable is Jason Smith?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

How close to untouchable is Jason Smith?

He really seems like Monty's guy, maybe even his favorite player on the team. Heck, he may be the teams best leader as well. How close do you think he is to being untouchable? And how good would the offer have to be to move him?

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    He'd have to be a smaller piece in a significant trade(I.e Jennings). Can't see him being moved any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    He'd have to be a smaller piece in a significant trade(I.e Jennings). Can't see him being moved any other way.
    Yeah, he's definitely not going out to just get another pick or even another role player.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    He really seems like Monty's guy, maybe even his favorite player on the team. Heck, he may be the teams best leader as well. How close do you think he is to being untouchable? And how good would the offer have to be to move him?
    Untouchable. Sign him to the maximum amount possible. Don't care how bad it hurts, I can't get enough of his attitude. Hyper-extends his knee last night and returns to the game. That has "Season-ending" all over it. If it was EG, we're talking career-ending.

What he did in that Milwaukee game was huge, not sure if it was talked about but he got us to that blow out victory.

Yea I love the guy. He reminds me of DWeest in terms of his attitude, tenacity, and leadership. We need to have that vocal guy on the team, and he does that. Not to mention the guy has one of the best contracts in the league for a player of his caliber. Like NolaHornets said, unless he's a piece in a bigger trade, we need to keep him, and even then, I'd be a little PO'd
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

He is untouchable in the sense that no team will value him as much as we do, therefore we will never get significant offers for him. I think you could get more for Lopez than Smith, so if the Hornets need to put a big into a trade I would suspect it would be Lopez and not Smith
    @mcnamara247

Honestly, i thought jay would be more improved this year then he's shown. I supported the thought of him being our starting 5 when then talk was going on in the summer.

I'd definitely have to say I was wrong though. He is what he is, a solid energy guy coming off the bench.

For supposed to being a knockdown big man shooter, he's pretty inconsistent and his range is pretty limited to about foul line extended. He usually misses when he attempts outside of that.

his extreme effort and wanting to do help the team so much is what you love about him but it also leads him to make way more turnovers than he should with the amount he touches the ball.

Love jay as big off the bench, but by no means he is untouchable.

I wouldn't voluntarily include him, and i don't think that even as part of a package that his contract's value is worth the value of a filler, if you get what i'm saying.

I agree that the big if needed would be Lopez, Vasquez for the extra money and you have several guys who have no value at all who could be tossed in for the low dollar filler to make a trade work

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    I wouldn't voluntarily include him, and i don't think that even as part of a package that his contract's value is worth the value of a filler, if you get what i'm saying.

I agree that the big if needed would be Lopez, Vasquez for the extra money and you have several guys who have no value at all who could be tossed in for the low dollar filler to make a trade work
    I think Vasquez and Anderson probably have the highest trade value on this team right now. Trading Anderson is out of the picture for me, but I would not be completely opposed to trading Vasquez, especially if we upgrade at PG or SG.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Like was said, in a move that nets us other more valuable pieces, he'd be golden. But overall? Most we could get is a lateral move, in which case makes more sense to keep him.

YOU SHALL NOT TRADE THE ENFORCER!!!!! *Gandalf voice*

I think that hand injury is affecting him he is missing alot of shoots he usually makes.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is untouchable in the sense that no team will value him as much as we do, therefore we will never get significant offers for him. I think you could get more for Lopez than Smith, so if the Hornets need to put a big into a trade I would suspect it would be Lopez and not Smith
    We finally have a solid center both offensively and defensively. I don't understand why a lot of people want to trade him already.

Jason Smith and untouchable should never be used in the same sentence. Demps has attempted to trade him before and I expect he won't hesitate if a deal with Smith included could benefit the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Jason Smith and untouchable should never be used in the same sentence. Demps has attempted to trade him before and I expect he won't hesitate if a deal with Smith included could benefit the team.
    His value to the team is far greater than his value in a trade. He's "untouchable" unless it means getting rid of Gordon's contract or adding another star.

Trading Smith just to get rid of Gordon's contract would be extremely idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Trading Smith just to get rid of Gordon's contract would be extremely idiotic.
    Not if Gordon refuses to play and we actually get something in return.

His value to the team is far greater than his value in a trade. He's "untouchable" unless it means getting rid of Gordon's contract or adding another star.
    It doesn't mean that at all. Smith is a nice guy and a good bench player but he isn't someone you must have on the team to succeed. He's like anyone else. If there is a trade that could improve the team, he's gone. It is as simple as that. Even with his nice contract and Monty's value for him, Demps is still the man who make the final decisions. Smith is not going to command a star nor is he capable of getting rid of Gordon's contact. Smith at best is a filler in a deal.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is untouchable in the sense that no team will value him as much as we do, therefore we will never get significant offers for him.
    Yup, I agree with this.

Remember, earlier in the year Ryan Anderson's minutes were inconsistent and they were trying to play with different lineups. With Anthony Davis returning and eventually play bigger role/minutes and Anderson is now established on the team, Smith will ultimately be the guy who ends up losing minutes.

Not if Gordon refuses to play and we actually get something in return.
    1. I highly doubt Gordon is refusing to play.

2. You aren't getting anything in return for him if he doesn't play.

I don't think anyone is "untouchable" with the Supervillian running the show.
    but...how could you trade this?!

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Never thought I'd hear the words untouchable and Jason Smith together. He's a good bench player on a great contract which makes him very valuable but he's I where near untouchable in the true sense of the word.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I don't think anyone is "untouchable" with the Supervillian running the show.
    but...how could you trade this?!
    Pretty sure Davis is unless Durant is involved and maybe Lebron.

Thread Information