Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aldridge: Robinson vs. Beal

Build: At 6’4″ or 6’5”, he’s a hue under the ideal size for an NBA SG, which is what he projects as in the league with his abilities. Like many undersized guards in the league, due to skill and intelligence, this will be a virtual non-issue for Beal. With his weight teetering around 200 lb.s, he’s a rock solid guard who will be able to embrace contact and finish through it. Has a nice shoulder base to pack on a few added pounds of muscle, if needed. Has a 6’8” wingspan (3.89% differential between height and length) that qualifies as ‘average’ relative to his NBA peers. Nonetheless, he’s got a compact guard build that will be allow him to just fine on the perimeter.
    http://swishscout.com/?page_id=822

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I'd puke if we drafted Jones III with a lottery pick.
    Honestly, I might get a little bile in my mouth too, but only if we passed on a Lillard or a Sullinger to do it.

If we pick Jones III over Tyler Zeller or Austin Rivers, I'd be fine with that.

Question for you guys, say we get the #1 pick and Charlotte gets #2 or 3. Would you trade, #1 for their #2/#3 + Bismack Biyombo.
    or #1 for #2/#3 + next years unprotected 1st rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Question for you guys, say we get the #1 pick and Charlotte gets #2 or 3. Would you trade, #1 for their #2/#3 + Bismack Biyombo.
    I'd much rather Davis. He is a franchise changer.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Yeah, and Kansas lists Robinson at 6'10. Those heights are never accurate.

Beal is 6'5. Our 2 PGs that we currently have on the roster are 6'3 and 6'6, so I don't know where you are getting these numbers from.

Also, length is more important on the wing than size. Gordon has a 6'7 wingspan, and Beal has a 6'8 wingspan. Definitely long enough.
    That is your opinion sir. The REST of the NBA disagrees since you don't see ONE starting 2 and 3 of that stature.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Davis, Easily.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    This is my opinion people!!

If I team decides to trade Gordon on draft night I wouldn't be mad! Yes I probably wouldn't like it but I wouldn't be. Now say if the trade went like this, Gordon to Portland for one of their picks & Wesley Mathews. & if we draft like this..1st pick Davis/MKG/Beal/... 2nd pick if lucky we can snatch Beal with one of Portlands picks, so Beal/Barnes/Drummond/Sullinger.. 3rd pick, hopefully Sullinger/Lillard/& who ever. If we get Beal with 1st pick, we should go after T-rob if he's there(or Drummond). If both are gone we just flat out take Sullinger, we can't take the risk of hoping he drops to the third pick. now with the 3rd pick we take Lillard! That's an awesome draft, with I beleave a great back up SG in Matthews.
    Beal=Gordon with less injury, and I beleave more versatile on D, but less explosive on offense. This is my opinion!
    Last edited by Trell; 05-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

I wouldn't say he is there, but if he is a solid 6'5, then I'd be okay with him playing SF. His wingspan is around 6'8, and that allows him to guard taller players.

Sure, he may have a little trouble guarding taller SFs, but like I said above, his wingspan allows him to compete. Also, he is much quicker than them, which is a huge advantage.

Also, and this isn't directed solely at you, but people forget that there are 2 sides to every coin. Beal has such an advantage in terms of quickness that he could drive right around bigger SFs. How are bigger guys going to keep up with him? And if they try to play off of him, he'll just drain the 3. He would be a very tough cover for opposing SFs.

***Just a disclaimer, but this conversation is mostly fueled by the fact that Monty said they were eyeing a "wing" at the top of the draft, and the only "wing" at the top of the draft is Beal. Just saying....
    Nola, you don't think that wing could be MKG and Barnes though?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Why?

Other than the fact that they're widely considered undersized, Beal and Gordon respective games doesn't resemble each other at all. I've always hated that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    That is your opinion sir. The REST of the NBA disagrees since you don't see ONE starting 2 and 3 of that stature.
    Andre Iguodala is 6'6, 207, and he is a borderline All Star SF every year. He is also one of the best defensive SFs in the league. Would you say that he isn't a legitimate SF?

I'm just saying that IF Beal grows another inch or 2 and tops off around 6'6, he could definitely play SF in a full-time capacity. Keep in mind that this happens a lot - Paul George grew 2 full inches last year.

Nola, you don't think that wing could be MKG and Barnes though?
    Neither MKG nor Barnes can play SG. A "wing" is a player that can play both SG and SF positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Other than the fact that they're widely considered undersized, Beal and Gordon respective games doesn't resemble each other at all. I've always hated that comparison.
    They really don't at all. They are actually quite opposite of each other, which is why I love the pairing so much. They are very complimentary towards each other.

Neither MKG nor Barnes can play SG. A "wing" is a player that can play both SG and SF positions.

Nah, i think we disagree on the definition. A wing is a player that plays on the wing, IE 2 or 3.

You have Wings on the court, the pg comes down the court and passes to one of the wings. a SG/SF is how i define someone that can play both.

Nah, i think we disagree on the definition. A wing is a player that plays on the wing, IE 2 or 3.
    Well, Monty (who said the same exact thing that I said with regards to his definition of a wing) agrees with me, so....

EDIT: Here you go (in reference to Henry being a wing):

“He might be more of a three (small forward) than he is a two (shooting guard). He has got a big body (6 feet 6, 220 pounds). He can do both. I’d probably call him a wing. A guy like Eric is just a two, but Xavier might be a wing, a guy who can play both. I don’t see him ever being a guy who handles the ball and initiates offense like Eric. I’d say he’s a solid wing.”
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...orward_he.html
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 05-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Igudola was considered 6'7" before the draft. He also measured at a 6'11" wingspan.

Well, Monty (who said the same exact thing that I said with regards to his definition of a wing) agrees with me, so....
    Yet starts a 6'7" and 6'9" in the 3 spot?

Please link where he said that.

The best thing they said about Robinson is that he is a more skilled Kenneth Faried, which IMO is awesome. Faried is a difference maker in Denver and I tink Robinson can be the same way. Beal is last person I would want out of Robinson/MKG/Drummond, just because of Gordon. and bench depth at SG.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Yet starts a 6'7" and 6'9" in the 3 spot?
    To be fair, Belinelli did get some burn at the 3 spot this year. Williams isn't afraid to play small ball.

Igudola was considered 6'7" before the draft. He also measured at a 6'11" wingspan.
    He is listed at 6'6 on the NBA's official website.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_....html?nav=page

Please link where he said that.
    Link posted above.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 05-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    To be fair, Belinelli did get some burn at the 3 spot this year. Williams isn't afraid to play small ball.
    Precisely, and thank you for posting this. It's about fit. EJ needs to play with shooters, and Beli (only 6'5 with an underwhelming wingspan) is a shooter and fits the scheme. Beal (6'5 with a good wingspan) is a shooter who fits the scheme.

It's just a possibility that deserves to be kicked around. Monty hinted at it, so I think the concept holds water.

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    The best thing they said about Robinson is that he is a more skilled Kenneth Faried, which IMO is awesome. Faried is a difference maker in Denver and I tink Robinson can be the same way. Beal is last person I would want out of Robinson/MKG/Drummond, just because of Gordon. and bench depth at SG.
    The skill part is very important because of the pace we play in. We're a slow paced half-court team whereas Denver is more of an uptempo transition team. Robinson will need to refine his post offense to be effective in Williams offense. Faried pretty much makes a living out of hustling and utilizing his athleticism in transition and putbacks. I have much higher expectations for Robinson.

That's my point about Igudola, before the draft he was considered an inch taller. I think in the end Beal will be listed at 6'4"

And I'll give you the definition, athough I don't think it's universally called that, but I won't give you the fact that they'd be a great combo on the floor togther for long periods; and I think we'd have a complete skill set overlap as well as being dominated by size on Defense.

Thread Information