Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

I wonder if there was a poll what would be the avg age of the members here......would be great to see that over time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Looking at it now would you have rather cut your ties with Jrue or would you have stil resigned him just wondering
    At the time I thought it made the most sense to resign Jrue and just hoped the contract would be as small as possible.

I think it’s too early and we are too riddled with injuries to properly judge anything about this team. Let’s see how he’s playing after the All Star break.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotSniper View Post
    I wonder if there was a poll what would be the avg age of the members here......would be great to see that over time as well.
    Fire it up lol
    RIP FlyGirl

But we are not healthy... so we can't keeping that especially if we are trying to convince cousins to stay.... Because if he leaves it's only matter of time until A.D. leaves
    I can’t read what you typed to make full sense of it, but I have long said if Cousins walks we are doomed anyway and I completely blow the team up and trade AD for a ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Jrue got his contract this summer and he played four games under this contract so far
    No he's been awful since boogie came go look at his stats before and after the trade
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I can’t read what you typed to make full sense of it, but I have long said if Cousins walks we are doomed anyway and I completely blow the team up and trade AD for a ransom.
    Oh ok just making sure

This is a message board for discussion, nothing we do will have a real effect. It’s simply a matter of how you want to spend your time, crying over the past or discussing possible solutions.

There’s no discourse to “Boo hoo Jrue is on a terrible contract”, maybe it makes you feel better but it clearly doesn’t for long because people have to keep repeating it over and over again.

As I’ve said for awhile now, Let’s discuss what’s actually happening during the season, not what took place months ago and has already been discussed to death.
    Okay. Well, you seem to feel that you're way of approaching it is best and those who would take exception with the decisions that led to these circumstances are crybabies. Couldn't disagree more. Venting one's frustrations on a message board can be cathartic. Again, there's no right way to approach this and, as you said, nothing we do will have any effect anyway, so why care about how others express themselves?

Also, whereas the decision to pay Jrue took place months ago, the season has been going on for a little over a week now. We're just now starting to see what we're getting in return for all that money and it's not good. So, you can't blame people for being reminded when watching Jrue play that: (Jrue not being very good) + (Jrue being the highest paid player on the team) = Jrue is overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Okay. Well, you seem to feel that you're way of approaching it is best and those who would take exception with the decisions that led to these circumstances are crybabies. Couldn't disagree more. Venting one's frustrations on a message board can be cathartic. Again, there's no right way to approach this and, as you said, nothing we do will have any effect anyway, so why care about how others express themselves?

Also, whereas the decision to pay Jrue took place months ago, the season has been going on for a little over a week now. We're just now starting to see what we're getting in return for all that money and it's not good. So, you can't blame people for being reminded when watching Jrue play that: (Jrue not being very good) + (Jrue being the highest paid player on the team) = Jrue is overpaid.
    He's not the highest paid person on the team

This. If Boogie walks, Pels should clean house and start over. GM on down.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

He's not the highest paid person on the team
    I’m seeing Jrue at $24 million this season and AD at $23. No one else comes close. If you’ve got other figures, feel free to throw them out, sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    Fire it up lol
    Lol. Nah. That would just put a target on my back. People would get mad that I mad that correlation between unrealistic expectations weather it's trades, signings, injuries, win/loss, minutes for scrubs, etc. But I do remember a time where this was just about the best nba forum out there. Very informed members which about 10% of them was "in the know" and gathered information for us that weren't. Those were the days. Seems like the quality of the forum has dropped like the quality of music now a days. Gotta search for substance.
    Last edited by 1ShotSniper; 10-25-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Banned
    Guys lets cool down for a moment and look in the mirror at the Pelicans.
    DC is going to walk no doubt. He didn't get it tip top shape for anyone but HIMSELF.
    His game pure and simple is a Ball Hog not a team player.
    I said this before. Our best assets is his health. He stays healthy puts up numbers we can trade him to get back our Huge Loss in trading for him.
    AD is a Heart and Soul of this team. We need to stand down on adding any players and let the ship sail.
    Its obvious we will be getting a new Head Coach and GM soon.
    The bad deals we have on the books we are stuck with for the moment.
    Jrue was a weak injured player when he arrived. We have 2 first round picks and 156 million invested in him. Unloaded him trying to get anything of investment value back is Impossible.
    Asik is a pure eat it deal. He is worthless period.
    The rest we have are all journeyman players some making starting money.
    Getting bent up over trying to get the playoffs is crazy. This team is not a 50 win team at all. We have 4 quarters of 20 game blocks. We will be at the 7 win mark at the end of November that is 21 games into the season. What happens then is anyone's guess. Lets sit back focus on Thursday against the Kings. I say rest AD until he is 100% ready not trying to rush him back before Saturday against the Cavs.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 10-25-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

My approach is best because it would offer valuable discussion to the board. There is no discussion to had to an endless drone of people complaining about Jrue. “Jrue is on a terrible contract” isn’t a discussion it’s a statement. “What is the best way forward for this team?” Gives opportunity for actual discussion. No I don’t think those who take exception to the decision are crybabies. I think those who continually harp on the decision months later are crybabies. How cathartic could it be if people have to keep saying it over and over, in basically every thread?

And no, we aren’t seeing the returns for all that money because this team is so injured that it’s too early to judge anything that’s happening.

Also, Jrue is not the highest paid player on the team. Over the course of what’s left on AD’s contract he makes more money. Over the next 4 years AD (life of his contract) is owed 105,054,563m. Jrue is owed before any incentives 101,845,000m. If you add in his likely incentives his number is 104,785,000m.

This is before taking into account AD opting out of his last year and taking a huge pay raise, or extending AD before then and him getting a huge raise. Also these were two deals signed in different CBA’s.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-25-2017 at 06:50 PM.

My approach is best because it would offer valuable discussion to the board.
    Do you have any idea how pretentious and conceited that makes you sound? I don't think you do.

There is no discussion to had to an endless drone of people complaining about Jrue. “Jrue is on a terrible contract” isn’t a discussion it’s a statement. “What is the best way forward for this team?” Gives opportunity for actual discussion.
    Why must every post lead to discussion? Why can't people simply vent their thoughts or make light of the situation with humor? No value in that?

No I don’t think those who take exception to the decision are crybabies. I think those who continually harp on the decision months later are crybabies.
    Again, season is a little over a week old. Some of us held out hope after the signing that Jrue would dedicate himself and improve his game. To date, he hasn't. So, the real disappointment in how he's living up to his contract dates all the way back to October 18th.

How cathartic could it be if people have to keep saying it over and over, in basically every thread?
    I don’t know. Must get some kind of satisfaction that they keep doing it. How’s it a good use of your time to tell those people how they should think and react to it?

And no, we aren’t seeing the returns for all that money because this team is so injured that it’s too early to judge anything that’s happening.
    You can’t hide talent. Boogie and AD have looked great this season despite not playing with Rondo. Nothing about Jrue Holiday stands out. He’s been utterly mediocre. The fact that he needs Rondo to look startable should worry you.

Also, Jrue is not the highest paid player on the team. Over the course of what’s left on AD’s contract he makes more money. Over the next 4 years AD (life of his contract) is owed 105,054,563m. Jrue is owed before any incentives 101,845,000m. If you add in his likely incentives his number is 104,785,000m.

This is before taking into account AD opting out of his last year and taking a huge pay raise, or extending AD before then and him getting a huge raise. Also these were two deals signed in different CBA’s.
    Seriously? For 2017, Jrue Holiday is the highest paid player on the team. You can talk around it be pointing out that AD will eventually and collectively be the highest paid player, but that just ain't the case for 2017. As it stands today, Jrue Holiday's salary is higher than Anthony Davis'. Hell, at this rate...come 2018...there's a chance Boogie is gone and AD is asking out, so don't get caught up looking too far ahead.

There will be no agreement between us. I feel you're wrong and vice versa. There is no point in continuing to say the same things over and over.

It's funny that people think pointing to Jrue's contract is criticism of Jrue.

It's criticism of Dell and others, but not Jrue. That should be obvious enough not to be said, but here we are.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    It's funny that people think pointing to Jrue's contract is criticism of Jrue.

It's criticism of Dell and others, but not Jrue. That should be obvious enough not to be said, but here we are.

I'd say the problem is two fold. Jrue probably isn't capable of playing up to his contract. That's not on him.

The problem is that Jrue hasn't consistently been playing like a starter lately, if you go way back into last season too.

My issue with Jrue is that he didn't come back better. This was a fully healthy offseason, he signed a big deal and it's like he spent no money on training. I can't see nothing he worked on this summer in his game and he looks out of shape.
    He always had the excuse of being injured during the summer for not improving. But he didn't have that excuse this season, he should've taken a jump or at least that was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'd say the problem is two fold. Jrue probably isn't capable of playing up to his contract. That's not on him.

The problem is that Jrue hasn't consistently been playing like a starter lately, if you go way back into last season too.
    Also, not on him.

If I were the starting point guard...

1) I should be replaced
    2) Whoever signed me should be replaced
    3) Whoever played me an instant should be replaced

However, none of that is my fault.

Now, if I was shirking duty, getting suspended, being disruptive... That is a problem on me. Me just being horrible... Eh... It's unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    My issue with Jrue is that he didn't come back better. This was a fully healthy offseason, he signed a big deal and it's like he spent no money on training. I can't see nothing he worked on this summer in his game and he looks out of shape.
    He always had the excuse of being injured during the summer for not improving. But he didn't have that excuse this season, he should've taken a jump or at least that was expected.
    I don't think he looks out of shape. I think he looks stupefied. He looks nervous.

Sometimes signing a big contract can do that. Look at Hill. I think part of his issue for most of last season (not the end, as he was better) was a combination of adjusting to skills he had not polished (e.g. 3's) and general nerves about being a featured, 8-figure guy.

I'm on board with hiring Sam Heinkie and trusting the process. At least Heinkie had set goals that were achievable (tank, grab top prospects,..., profit), Demps has no clue what he is doing. This is like the island of misfit toys.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I honestly agree and I'm a bit sick of posters trying to dictate which discussion is "good for the board" and vice versa. Just because you disagree with the way a poster expresses himself and his feelings doesn't give you the right to control the message and how said feelings are expressed. If you don't like the poster, ignore him. If you don't like the message, ignore it. But every poster should be free to say whatever they want in whatever manner they wish. No matter how "pessimistic" you try to label it. Well said.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-26-2017 at 12:15 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I honestly agree and I'm a bit sick of posters trying to dictate which discussion is "good for the board" and vice versa. Just because you disagree with the way a poster expresses himself and his feelings doesn't give you the right to control the message and how said feelings are expressed. If you don't like the poster, ignore him. If you don't like the message, ignore it. But every poster should be free to say whatever they want in whatever manner they wish. No matter how "pessimistic" you try to label it. Well said.
    The only people who can control any message are the mods. No one is forcing anybody to discuss anything on the forums, that includes people wanting to criticize Jrue, but then they also can’t get upset if people call them out on it either.

For example, all this talk about how bad Jrue’s contract is and how bad he’s playing, etc and this Blazers game he put up a 14-7-5 stat line with a better than 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. His shooting needs to improve there’s no doubt, but there were some positives.

4 games into the season, we should be giving everyone on the team time to adjust.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-26-2017 at 12:30 AM.

The only people who can control any message are the mods. No one is forcing anybody to discuss anything on the forums, that includes people wanting to criticize Jrue, but then they also can’t get upset if people call them out on it either.
    That's fair. I think the act of calling them out on something like that is dumb, because it's not like anyone is questioning the substance of the message, but the purpose of the message, which varies from poster to poster. While I get that opens those posters to criticism, I don't like the message it sends, nor the attitude it condones. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I'm on board with hiring Sam Heinkie and trusting the process. At least Heinkie had set goals that were achievable (tank, grab top prospects,..., profit), Demps has no clue what he is doing. This is like the island of misfit toys.
    You already have 2 better prospects than Hinkie's entire 5 year plan turned up yet. Embiid and Simmons may one day be as good, if Embiid ever plays 40 games in a season, we'll see. Otherwise they wasted half a decade trying to get to the point you are at right now. There IS no "process" that results in a better in prime pairing than Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. Two perennial All Star HOF caliber bigs capable of combining for 55pts 25rebs a night. You can't do in better. So the "process" has already been done, courtesy of one Vlade Divac. Now it's about winning, not quitting.

Thread Information