Pelicans Report

Thread: Ömer Asik news

Pelicans Ömer Asik news

Ömer Asik officially out Eurobasket2017
    07/29/2017:
    "Ömer Aşık's health problem and the treatment continues. For this reason, he will not be with the team at Eurobasket."
    http://www.sportando.com/en/national...asket2017.html

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurobask...ng-eurobasket/

03/31/2017: "With Omer Asik on the mend from a mysterious infection, who can Turkey count on this summer at FIBA EuroBasket 2017 should the giant center not recover?
    [...] The "Turkish Hammer" is doing everything he can to regain the weight he has lost the past couple of months, and the strength, in order to spearhead Turkey's bid to reach the podium in Istanbul, yet Sarica won't know for some time if he'll be ready. If he doesn't make it, then what?"
    http://www.fiba.com/eurobasket/2017/...iba-eurobasket
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

Im wondering if he just doesn't want play for Turkey - or even go back for that matter. This could just be an excuse.

I don't blame him - Turkey is a political mess right now - moving towards a neo-fascist form of authoritarian nationalism

OKC's Enes Kanter just landed himself on the Turkish terrorist list for tweeting one negative thing about president Erdogan - US has granted him asylum, but members of his family have been arrested.

Ersan Ikyasova said he will not play and Ill bet newly signed Cav Cedi Osman doesnt either.

Asik is not political, he doesn't even tweet, but still i'd rather be here than there and this is his excuse.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I think you may be right Andynola. I was thinking the same

Retire Omer

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Can the Pels apply for any type of exemption if he can not physically play? Basically, can his salary come off the books if he is deemed unable to play? Similar to the Chris Bosh situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Can the Pels apply for any type of exemption if he can not physically play? Basically, can his salary come off the books if he is deemed unable to play? Similar to the Chris Bosh situation.
    I'm not certain of what I think is the answer but here goes. Pels can apply for med exemption one year to the date he last played. That would be sometime in Jan '18 I think. Assuming he is still ill and unable to past physical at that time. We can still wait till then to stretch him over 7 years then and avoid luxury should we continue to add a piece or two. If I'm incorrect please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    Im wondering if he just doesn't want play for Turkey - or even go back for that matter. This could just be an excuse.

I don't blame him - Turkey is a political mess right now - moving towards a neo-fascist form of authoritarian nationalism

OKC's Enes Kanter just landed himself on the Turkish terrorist list for tweeting one negative thing about president Erdogan - US has granted him asylum, but members of his family have been arrested.

Ersan Ikyasova said he will not play and Ill bet newly signed Cav Cedi Osman doesnt either.

Asik is not political, he doesn't even tweet, but still i'd rather be here than there and this is his excuse.
    TBH Kanter was not tweeting once.
    He was attacking the regime all the time.

Not going to defend any regime.
    Just saying that he was in opposition to the president multiple months.
    Asik never said anything to the public. Especially about politics.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    TBH Kanter was not tweeting once.
    He was attacking the regime all the time.

Not going to defend any regime.
    Just saying that he was in opposition to the president multiple months.
    Asik never said anything to the public. Especially about politics.
    Yes but it's not because he doesn't use his plateform to condamned it that he supports them. May be it's only diplomatic injury and no one can be sure yet.

Regarding Kanter he's in opposition and supporter of Gullen as far as I remember but it tells a lot of the current state of the country that being in opposition give you the automatic terrorist label.

I generally believe not to talk about politics in places like this but the things that are happening now in Turkey are just crazy. Ataturk is turning in his grave..

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The Pelicans can have the best front court, starters and backups, in the league. AD, Cousins, Asik, Ajinca, and Diallo.

Thread Information