Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gordon optimistic on Pelicans long term outlook

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I guess Mike Miller was the most complete player of the Cavs
    So who's your choice? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Jrue was the best passers-by and Reke next and I would say Ryan and Tyreke have lived up to their deals.
    Jrue is the best passer. I have already had this argument with you but I do not think Evans is a great facilitator as of now. A good passer, yes, not a great facilitator. I think Gordon is a good one. Not as good as Jrue but i never said he was. But for his position I do think Gordon is well above average. Both Evans and Gordon have room to grow and I have a lot of hope for them. As I do Jrue and Ryno.

But neither Ryno or Evans(or Jrue or Gordon) have lived up to their expectations.

Name me one team right now that would trade a starting center, 11 million dollars and very good back up PG for Evans? The answer is no one. Why? Because what we paid for him was based on our projections that he could be our Manu Ginoboli, our James Harden of the Thunder but so far he hasn't been.

I get it you have a fan boy crush on Evans and so it makes you get all touchy feely when everyone else doesnt put Evans on this ridiculous pedestal you have placed him on or if anyone criticizes him in the same way you regularly go out of your way to attack Gordon, but truth is, from an objective standpoint, none of our core players outside Davis have lived up to their cost. Not a one.

Which is why Gentry is here in the first place. Which is why Demps is still on the hot seat. Which is why this board is so excited to see next season. Because we have guys all around Davis that have untapped potential that they haven't lived up to and we finally have the infrastructure in place that can potentially unlock it and put each of them in an optimum position to excel and help this team. And that is incredibly exciting. If the Evans, Ryno, Jrue and Gordon we got last year are the players we get next season? Well, this will be one of the most disappointing seasons I will have had as a basketball fan. So for my sake, and for fans of this team, I hope you are wrong. Because I don't personally believe any of our players have reached their realistic potential yet.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-28-2015 at 12:44 AM.

I just think of all the players you named Evans has lived up mostly to his contract and I can't see how you disagree. He has stayed healthy and produced some no other player other than AD has done. I don't have a fan boy crush I just think it's weird this board gives the most praise to guys who does the least. Evans and Asik get trashed so much on this board but I can assure you if it wasn't for them this team wouldn't have won close to 45 games. But Gordon who job it was to hit open 3's created by AD and Evans or Cole who is no more than a mediocre back up pg get praised mostly for the teams success.

1-6

The way you are presenting the Evans trade is down right ludicrous. Evans has without a doubt lived up to his contract. He's went beyond his contract. Ryno has lived up to his contract. He was actually well outplaying it but the injury has caused him to take a step back.

Now if you want to argue that Gordon and Jrue haven't lived up to theirs due to the amount of time they have missed, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The way you are presenting the Evans trade is down right ludicrous. Evans has without a doubt lived up to his contract. He's went beyond his contract. Ryno has lived up to his contract. He was actually well outplaying it but the injury has caused him to take a step back.

Now if you want to argue that Gordon and Jrue haven't lived up to theirs due to the amount of time they have missed, sure.
    Find me one team that would give up what we ultimately did for Evans? That right there shows you how much he has lived up to his cost. What we paid to get him, what his expectations were, has not materialized so far. Evans contract is just one part of his cost.

Heck MM challenged this entire forum to find ONE team, just ONE that would give up something of true value for Evans and no one could come up with a trade.

I have high hopes for Evans, Ryno, Jrue and Gordon but based on what each of those players were sold as projecting to be, none have really lived up to expectations.

As for Ryno, you can't use jrue and Gordon's injuries against them and then attempt to ignore Rynos to suit your narrative. I'm being even handed. Rynos injury, like Jrues and Gordon's has been a contributing factor to not living up to expectations.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-28-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Find me one team that would give up what we ultimately did for Evans? That right there shows you how much he has lived up to his cost. What we paid to get him, what his expectations were, has not materialized so far. Evans contract is just one part of his cost.

Heck MM challenged this entire forum to find ONE team, just ONE that would give up something of true value for Evans and no one could come up with a trade.

I have high hopes for Evans, Ryno, Jrue and Gordon but based on what each of those players were sold as projecting to be, none have really lived up to expectations.

As for Ryno, you can't use jrue and Gordon's injuries against them and then attempt to ignore Rynos to suit your narrative. I'm being even handed. Rynos injury, like Jrues and Gordon's has been a contributing factor to not living up to expectations.
    Is the board gull of actual GM's? Of all the guys that we have Tyreke and Ryan have been the guys most rumored that other teams are interested in. Dell doesn't want to trade them as they have the most value to us and he want to build chemistry with the team.

Is the board gull of actual GM's? Of all the guys that we have Tyreke and Ryan have been the guys most rumored that other teams are interested in. Dell doesn't want to trade them as they have the most value to us and he want to build chemistry with the team.
    We have no idea what those deals look like though. What those teams were willing to give up. Ryno is easily the best chance to get comparable value to his cost, possibly even more. But that is separate from meeting expectations the franchise had.

Don't understand why this guy gets bashed so much, but its very easy to tell what type of Pels fan a person is by listening to their opinion on Gordon. IMO he's done everything possible to make up for one slip of the tongue and fans still seem to hate him. Sure he was going to go to Phoenix, but who wouldn't pass up a max contract. The guy has put in some serious hard work to get back from two major knee surgeries, then he came back and played on a separated shoulder and shot 45% from three. If it wasn't for his 2nd half, there is no way the Pels make their first playoff appearance last year. He does all kinds of things for the local community and in his home town in Indiana, and he's the only player on the team that has made an appearance at Summer League the last 2 years.

I applaud him for his effort on and off the court, and I would like to see him get another contract with us if the money is right.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Don't understand why this guy gets bashed so much, but its very easy to tell what type of Pels fan a person is by listening to their opinion on Gordon. IMO he's done everything possible to make up for one slip of the tongue and fans still seem to hate him. Sure he was going to go to Phoenix, but who wouldn't pass up a max contract. The guy has put in some serious hard work to get back from two major knee surgeries, then he came back and played on a separated shoulder and shot 45% from three. If it wasn't for his 2nd half, there is no way the Pels make their first playoff appearance last year. He does all kinds of things for the local community and in his home town in Indiana, and he's the only player on the team that has made an appearance at Summer League the last 2 years.

I applaud him for his effort on and off the court, and I would like to see him get another contract with us if the money is right.
    This is what you call saving face
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    oy vey
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Exactly and it wasn't even just those comments. He had a **** attitude with this team,organization, and city up until later year. I would change face too when I realized my body is washed up and would never make this type of money again along with playing with a generational talent.

If he is going to go to these lengths to save face then he has an extremely strong will. Its disrespectful to view what he does for the community and the children of the community as "saving face." Had another player that had not earned a bad contract done the same things for his community, he would be revered.

Let's say for a minute it is all sincere. I know, sounds crazy right?

But let's say it is. That the guy grew up and genuinely is remorseful and had a change of heart. What would that look like? Uh, pretty much like this right?

And saving face would look like this too, I agree. So, it is one or the other. But based on those who believe it is saving face, you are basically saying there is nothing a person can do to right their wrongs. Once they commit a wrong, they are a terrible person and any attempt to correct it is a PR move to "save face"

Man, I hope people don't hold you all to that standard, because I doubt you were angels in the past.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Let's say for a minute it is all sincere. I know, sounds crazy right?

But let's say it is. That the guy grew up and genuinely is remorseful and had a change of heart. What would that look like? Uh, pretty much like this right?

And saving face would look like this too, I agree. So, it is one or the other. But based on those who believe it is saving face, you are basically saying there is nothing a person can do to right their wrongs. Once they commit a wrong, they are a terrible person and any attempt to correct it is a PR move to "save face"

Man, I hope people don't hold you all to that standard, because I doubt you were angels in the past.
    This. Thanks MM. America is really not the land of second opportunities.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    This. Thanks MM. America is really not the land of second opportunities.
    What is the world coming to, when I of all people, have to defend Eric Gordon??

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What is the world coming to, when I of all people, have to defend Eric Gordon??
    I was thinking that same thing but I didn't want to write it an ruin the moment LOL

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Over the past 2 seasons I have seen him SMILE.

Before then, he only had the blank stare and scowl.

I think he has grown up. Injuries humbling him may have had a lot to do with that.

I agree he has grown but it's a mixture of both to me saving face and actually liking it here now. But like others have said the injuries had to be humbling to him.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I would love to have Gordon back after next season (at a discounted rate, of course). Everytime he pulled the trigger from beyond the arc, I felt really confident that it'd be going in. We need that, especially with Ryno struggling from everywhere

I agree he has grown but it's a mixture of both to me saving face and actually liking it here now. But like others have said the injuries had to be humbling to him.
    But my question to you is: What would he have had to do for YOU to think it was pure maturation and liking it here now? In all honesty, was there anything he could have done for you to 100% to buy in?

Sounds like no.

I would like him to kind of address his comments and what his mindset was back then. It would go a long way with many fans. Its not a must for me but like I said it would help alot.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    I would like him to kind of address his comments and what his mindset was back then. It would go a long way with many fans. Its not a must for me but like I said it would help alot.
    He has addressed them, he said he has matured a lot since then and regrets saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pardon View Post
    He has addressed them, he said he has matured a lot since then and regrets saying that.
    Must of missed it. In that case I really dont see any reason to hold a grudge. Still would prefer not to re-sign but it has nothing to do with comments.

Call me crazy but I predict a breakout year for Gordon that will vie for the title as the 2nd best player on the team behind AD and a top 5 2-guard in the West. He will become a serious option as a man you want with the ball at the end of the game and contender for most improved player. I think he still has the ability to get 20+ ppg especially in this system.

Guys bit off topic, but why did davis post a photo with him and westbrook playing and darren erman in the background?? What is westbrook doing training with us???
    Is this at the U.S camp maybe?

Thread Information