Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrockcowboy View Post
    Hey guys, new poster. I am originally from South Carolina, grew up a Hornets fan, and went to college in Charlotte. When the Bobcats became a franchise I made them my team, 'cuz the Carolinas are my home; but I'm about at my last straw with this franchise. The name Hornets will always be synonymous with Charlotte, and growing up, for me. I'm hoping Jordan cleans house like Benson is doing, and I'm hoping y'all change your name so Charlotte gets the name back - but as you can imagine I'm about at my breaking point with that franchise.

I moved to Mississippi State for gradschool and I love visiting NOLA. My fiancee loves it too, and we can see ourselves possibly living there one day. Charlotte is still home in my heart, so I'm hoping y'all change your name, Jordan buys it, and we see drastic improvement in the QC. I really like Voodoo, Krewe, and Archangels for the name change. I don't like angels and I really don't like cardinals. There would be, what, 3 major sports teams with the name cardinals? If Jordan doesn't get his **** together I'll be all in with this franchise, this is my neck of the woods now, this is my old franchise, and I hate everything about the Bobcats except for the city they belong to. Just change the name, Hornets will forever be Charlotte and growing up to me. NOLA deserves its own brand.
    Nice post, and welcome to HR!

i would support any of those names except for the damn voodoo. Leave it to the liberal places to support paganism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I'm leaning towards something original right now even though VooDoo and Brass are solid names.

Arc Angels, Carnival, and even Krewe. But I would be good with VooDoo and Brass too. Those are the 5 names I'm fine with.

New Orleans Domino!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    i would support any of those names except for the damn voodoo. Leave it to the liberal places to support paganism.
    Why do you automatically associate Liberal with Paganism?

Can we this guy yet? He is so tiring and is really making me despise religion.

I am simply a Christian dude who wants to see the city of New Orleans have a basketball name that gives the city a positive brand. Look at your signature. A skull and crossbones... Yeah, that's what good, honest, morale people want to see is't it?

Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    Why do you automatically associate Liberal with Paganism?

Can we this guy yet? He is so tiring and is really making me despise religion.
    Last edited by WhoDatChristian; 08-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I am simply a Christian dude who wants to see the city of New Orleans have a basketball name that gives the city a positive brand. Look at your signature. A skull and crossbones... Yeah, that's what good, honest, morale people want to see is't it?
    Dude, you can spin any name like that.

Raiders? Bunch of rapers and pillagers with two cutlasses. Great notion there. The Heat? They set their damn balls on fire? How can they possibly play like that? Very unsafe. And the Celtics? The dude is smoking. What kinda message is that for the children?

Won't somebody please think of the children!

There is nothing wrong with the name Celtics or Heat. There is nothing scriptural that gives a negative connotation about either of those names either. Raiders is not a good name but I'll leave that up to the left coast liberals to brand themselves as such. You cannot misconstrue voodoo; it's sorcery plain and clear. There are good names out there. Angels, Pelicans, Krewe just to name a few that put the city in a positive light. If it was up to me it would be KREWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Dude, you can spin any name like that.

Raiders? Bunch of rapers and pillagers with two cutlasses. Great notion there. The Heat? They set their damn balls on fire? How can they possibly play like that? Very unsafe. And the Celtics? The dude is smoking. What kinda message is that for the children?

Won't somebody please think of the children!
    Last edited by WhoDatChristian; 08-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.

I think we should contemplate the notion that just because an old book says something is wrong doesn't mean it necessarily is. I like to think of myself as a moral person, but Voodoo doesn't raise my ire. It's just a name. It's not a philosophy, or mindset, that the entire franchise would take on. No one is going to put gris gris all over the arena.

It's just. A. Name.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I think we should contemplate the notion that just because an old book says something is wrong doesn't mean it necessarily is. I like to think of myself as a moral person, but Voodoo doesn't raise my ire. It's just a name. It's not a philosophy, or mindset, that the entire franchise would take on. No one is going to put gris gris all over the arena.

It's just. A. Name.
    Its more than a name. Its our name. its a name that signifies our city, our team, our fans.

if it was just a name, then by all means call it something like Hornets. bears.

We've got over 2000 posts on the subject, its more than a name.

Reminds me of when someone asked Liverpool's Bill Shankley if soccer was a matter of life and death. He replied "I don't like your attitude son. Its much more than that!"

As for voodoo, I'm not keen on the name. Never have been, never will be. So many other names speak New Orleans much more than voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Its more than a name. Its our name. its a name that signifies our city, our team, our fans.

if it was just a name, then by all means call it something like Hornets. bears.

We've got over 2000 posts on the subject, its more than a name.

Reminds me of when someone asked Liverpool's Bill Shankley if soccer was a matter of life and death. He replied "I don't like your attitude son. Its much more than that!"

As for voodoo, I'm not keen on the name. Never have been, never will be. So many other names speak New Orleans much more than voodoo.
    Sure, it is a connection with the city, but does calling ourselves Voodoo really mean we are pagan and like to perform terrible rituals? That's what I was talking about. He's so focused on how filthy and satanic the name is, when all it really means is "cool name that people identify with New Orleans."

Hi JNR,

Thank for your respectfully disagreeing versus having a rude response like others. I'm going to give you the same respect

IMO, Voodoo is too polarizing. Not everyone embraces that name. You're smart enough to realize that marketing is going to be a huge factor in the re-brand. Evangelicals are going to be a major part of this re-brand and many of us will not purchase Voodoo merchandise and embrace that name. Mr. Benson understands the difference between some small market football team and the NBA. The marketing for the football team is small potatoes. The marketing for the basketball team is huge that extends well beyond New Orleans and many people on the northshore, Mississippi and other places are not going to buy into the voodoo concept. For example, how well would the rebrand go if the Hornets were rebrand as the New Orleans Muslims? While voodoo wouldn't be as unpopular as Muslims, it still has a negative connotation that would turn some people off. Having a name as polarizing as voodoo simply means less money for the franchise. It's all about the $$ and Mr. Benson or any bright businessman knows this and isn't going to lose part of his fanbase because of some name that ties itself to witchcraft, sorcery, skulls and bones.

It's just. A. Name.

Hi JNR,

Thank for your respectfully disagreeing versus having a rude response like others. I'm going to give you the same respect

IMO, Voodoo is too polarizing. Not everyone embraces that name. You're smart enough to realize that marketing is going to be a huge factor in the re-brand. Evangelicals are going to be a major part of this re-brand and many of us will not purchase Voodoo merchandise and embrace that name. Mr. Benson understands the difference between some small market football team and the NBA. The marketing for the football team is small potatoes. The marketing for the basketball team is huge that extends well beyond New Orleans and many people on the northshore, Mississippi and other places are not going to buy into the voodoo concept. For example, how well would the rebrand go if the Hornets were rebrand as the New Orleans Muslims? While voodoo wouldn't be as unpopular as Muslims, it still has a negative connotation that would turn some people off. Having a name as polarizing as voodoo simply means less money for the franchise. It's all about the $$ and Mr. Benson or any bright businessman knows this and isn't going to lose part of his fanbase because of some name that ties itself to witchcraft, sorcery, skulls and bones.
    I would like to address two things about your post.

1) The reason people are responding to the majority of your posts disrespectfully is clear. You're beating a dead horse. Every time someone posts in this thread mentioning VooDoo you post again stating you're impossibly rigid viewpoint and ignoring all others. It's growing old.

2) You say the name is too polarizing and compare it to a hypothetical "New Orleans Muslims". The point I assume you're trying to make being that a team whose name has a religious connotation is too particular for nationwide (and global) marketing. But, have you noticed what the football team is already called? The Saints. I wonder if all New Orleans's Muslims hate the team become it's name is quasi-christian.

Sure, it is a connection with the city, but does calling ourselves Voodoo really mean we are pagan and like to perform terrible rituals? That's what I was talking about. He's so focused on how filthy and satanic the name is, when all it really means is "cool name that people identify with New Orleans."

So you agree, its more than a name. That's all I was going after.

DUKES!!!

The best name yet!!!

Why?

Because I say so.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hi JNR,

Your Muslims name has no relevancy because the Islamic faith has little resonance with New Orleans by reputation.

New Orleans: Food, Mardi Gras, Jazz, the river, even voodoo. These are all things synonymous. Along with the murder rate.

Not all are in and of themselves positive, but they're inseparable from the city. OBVIOUSLY you don't name your team something like the Murderers. That's silly. And I'm sure you'll be quick to latch onto that notion in talking down voodoo.

You mention the market beyond New Orleans. How in the world could you possibly know no one would buy into the voodoo concept? Where's your evidence besides the likelihood that you'd really like them not to cuz it helps your position?

I can't imagine a Biloxi fan going "Wanna go to the Voodoo game?" "No, they promote witchcraft, let's go see the Rebels game instead."

You think no one outside of New Jersey is down with the Devils? There's not even room for misconstruing that even if you know about the Native American Jersey devil folklore.

Ahd you keep bringing up witchcraft. But let me bring our attention to the elephant in the room.

Oh. Look at that. Looks like not one but TWO other bright businessmen shot ambiguity in the back of the head and gave their names unbelievably direct ties to witchcraft and sorcery.

But they don't have dead things in there so I guess they get a pass, huh?

"Ventas servitas," I cried.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I really hope it is Voodoo... not because it's my favorite but just to tick that zealot off.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    ^lol, people with strong beliefs may be like what? But they wouldn't completely not like the team nor attend games because of names.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Hi JNR,

christian ignorance at its finest.. ill refer to you as whodat bigot for now on

Quote Originally Posted by 504s Deek View Post
    I would like to address two things about your post.

1) The reason people are responding to the majority of your posts disrespectfully is clear. You're beating a dead horse. Every time someone posts in this thread mentioning VooDoo you post again stating you're impossibly rigid viewpoint and ignoring all others. It's growing old.

2) You say the name is too polarizing and compare it to a hypothetical "New Orleans Muslims". The point I assume you're trying to make being that a team whose name has a religious connotation is too particular for nationwide (and global) marketing. But, have you noticed what the football team is already called? The Saints. I wonder if all New Orleans's Muslims hate the team become it's name is quasi-christian.
    this
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockcowboy View Post
    Hey guys, new poster. I am originally from South Carolina, grew up a Hornets fan, and went to college in Charlotte. When the Bobcats became a franchise I made them my team, 'cuz the Carolinas are my home; but I'm about at my last straw with this franchise. The name Hornets will always be synonymous with Charlotte, and growing up, for me. I'm hoping Jordan cleans house like Benson is doing, and I'm hoping y'all change your name so Charlotte gets the name back - but as you can imagine I'm about at my breaking point with that franchise.

I moved to Mississippi State for gradschool and I love visiting NOLA. My fiancee loves it too, and we can see ourselves possibly living there one day. Charlotte is still home in my heart, so I'm hoping y'all change your name, Jordan buys it, and we see drastic improvement in the QC. I really like Voodoo, Krewe, and Archangels for the name change. I don't like angels and I really don't like cardinals. There would be, what, 3 major sports teams with the name cardinals? If Jordan doesn't get his **** together I'll be all in with this franchise, this is my neck of the woods now, this is my old franchise, and I hate everything about the Bobcats except for the city they belong to. Just change the name, Hornets will forever be Charlotte and growing up to me. NOLA deserves its own brand.
    Got a pair of my tickets with your name them when you make it down for a game, if upper deck is worth it.

Welcome.

Been your way a few times. Love Charleston.

With this and nearly all of your other posts, you ignore so much of what is real and what the people around you tell while simultaneously lumping together so mamy other people under the large brushstrokes used by simpletons and racists that it's so hard to even contemplate that you may be real... as opposed to a created character designed to cause trouble with your rudeness, ignorance, hypocrisy, and hatemongering.

WHODATCHRISTIAN,

You know that the Hornets did not move to OKC, right. Evangelicals will not be a major part of this re-brand. New Orleans is a Catholic heavy city and as long as beers are being sold through the 3rd quarter-they will be just fine.

On another note, I just want to point out to you that I am a Muslim and I have legit intel that Mr.Benson has actually converted to Islam (Hah-just snuck another one by you just like we did with Barack Hussein Obama). While New Orleans Muslims would be a great name, we like our plans for world domination and submission to be a little more stealth.

As-Salāmu Alaykum,
    HR's Resident Muslim

Sharia law will be implemented as both our offense and Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    With this and nearly all of your other posts, you ignore so much of what is real and what the people around you tell while simultaneously lumping together so mamy other people under the large brushstrokes used by simpletons and racists that it's so hard to even contemplate that you may be real... as opposed to a created character designed to cause trouble with your rudeness, ignorance, hypocrisy, and hatemongering.
    spot on jason

Quote Originally Posted by 504COMMODORE View Post
    Sharia law will be implemented as both our offense and Defense.

breaking news:

WhoDatChristian hates Halloween and thinks it should be outlawed in New Orleans.

Thread Information