Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Western Playoffs Round 1 - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - Game One

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No one is claiming they cannot report it.

What I'm saying is as the local paper, your job the very day after our 1st playoff win is to NOT be the one to cast the team and/or players in a bad light that could possibly distract them from what they are doing.

Keep click bait BS on Twitter. Not a professional news organization. And not at this moment. There is a time and place and what they did AS OUR PAPER was the wrong time.

They took 1 photo with no context and 1 quote from Gentry and now instead of fans being focused on the win and the next game there's this perceived issue and another "storyline".

6 stories about the game, all positive and celebratory. 1 very short story below all those other stories about this head tilting inconsistency.

I dont see a problem here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Again, lets get this correct. That is NOT what I have said. I repeat, that is NOT what I have said. So I would appreciate you all dropping the straw men.

What we know for fact is that Gentry spoke the words to the press that Cousins could not come because he hasn't been cleared to fly.

We don't know if that is what Boogie told coach, we don't have records of their conversation. But one possibility is that he did in fact tell coach that and coach accurately reflected the facts of their conversation to the press. Other possibilities are that the lines of communication from one or the other got crossed, misinterpreted, or even that Gentry embellished what was told to him. All we have is Gentry saying he isn't allowed to fly yet so he can't come, and hours later a photo from his manager implying they are on their way to coachella.

It something that evokes, "a hey, whats up with that?" Which is where we should be with this and no more.
    No! Wrong ! Alvin more than likely shortened the conversation, because quite frankly he didn't have to say anything to the media. You keep screaming "Alvin said Boogie said he wasn't clear to fly yet" There is gradation to the "Truth" as you call it, within their conversation. I'm sure Alvin isn't going to answer "Well, Boogie said he can't fly commercial for over 5 hrs round trip, but he is allowed to fly on a puddle jumper for a 1 hour flight. 1) because of the altitude difference, 2) the time & 3) on a commercial flight, there is very little room for Boogie to be allowed guaranteed safety regarding his Achilles! So, get over the "Alvin said" & it's concrete truth or Boogie lied. It's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    No! Wrong ! Alvin more than likely shortened the conversation, because quite frankly he didn't have to say anything to the media. You keep screaming "Alvin said Boogie said he wasn't clear to fly yet" There is gradation to the "Truth" as you call it, within their conversation. I'm sure Alvin isn't going to answer "Well, Boogie said he can't fly commercial for over 5 hrs round trip, but he is allowed to fly on a puddle jumper for a 1 hour flight. 1) because of the altitude difference, 2) the time & 3) on a commercial flight, there is very little room for Boogie to be allowed guaranteed safety regarding his Achilles! So, get over the "Alvin said" & it's concrete truth or Boogie lied. It's silly.
    Now who is making up assumptions and arguing them as facts?

Now who is making up assumptions and arguing them as facts?
    Exactly! My point! Thank you. I never claimed any of it to be fact or not. But you, on the other hand have concluded that what Alvin said is etched in stone & ultimately it makes Boogie a LIAR. When in fact, you know nothing about the depth of the conversation. I thank you immensely for proving my point. NICE!

Exactly! My point! Thank you. I never claimed any of it to be fact or not. But you, on the other hand have concluded that what Alvin said is etched in stone & ultimately it makes Boogie a LIAR. When in fact, you know nothing about the depth of the conversation. I thank you immensely for proving my point. NICE!
    For the last time tinman, I have made my points to you clear, Gentry told the press Boogie told him he can't fly yet, that is a fact. There are any number of possibilities for how Gentry came to tell the press that, including the simplest explanation which is Boogie told him exactly that. But others exist. I NEVER once asserted that there is only one explanation, but you have in fact refused to acknowledge the possibility of Boogie lying..

Now either you accept what I have said as I have actually said it, stop lying about it, start arguing in good faith, or buzz off.

Exactly! My point! Thank you. I never claimed any of it to be fact or not.
    You just did. Literally doing exactly what you accused me of doing but never having actually done.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 04:15 PM.

For the last time tinman, I have made my points to you clear, Gentry told the press Boogie told him he can't fly yet, that is a fact. There are any number of possibilities for how Gentry came to tell the press that, including the simplest explanation which is Boogie told him exactly that. But others exist. I NEVER once asserted that there is only one explanation, but you have in fact refused to acknowledge that possibility.

Now either you accept what I have said, stop lying about it, start arguing in good faith, or buzz off.

You just did. Literally doing exactly what you accused me of doing but never having actually done.
    Whatever dude. You said Boogie lied based off of Alvins comment. Then said, but there could be many explanations. Lol.The End. Ima buzzin, because your circular motion is making me dizzy.

Whatever dude. You said Boogie lied based off of Alvins comment. Then said, but there could be many explanations. Lol.The End. Ima buzzin, because your circular motion is making me dizzy.
    Still lying I see.

Feel free to pull the response you think reflects what you claim I said. We can break it down together and see where your reading comprehension needs improvement.

Because frankly I am getting sick and tired of this schtick and it is basically becoming akin to a character attack. You don't have to like the news or the interpretations coming out of this story, or in mythrol's case the mere existence of it, but that is not grounds to come at me and spread lies about what I said and didn't say.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 04:26 PM.

6 stories about the game, all positive and celebratory. 1 very short story below all those other stories about this head tilting inconsistency.

I dont see a problem here.
    It is only below the other stories because it was posted FIRST.

Also, I just went back and re-watched the interview with Gentry where he talks about Cousins and he NEVER says Cousins cannot fly. NOT ONCE.

The question comes at the 3:29 mark on the Pelicans video entitled "Pelicans-Trail Blazers Game 1 Shootaround: Head Coach Alvin Gentry 4-14-18".

What Gentry says is (and unlike the "reporter" for Nola.com I'm going to give the full verbatim quote):

"I don't know yet. I know that he's trying to get here and he's trying to convince the, you know, the medical people that he can travel here. So, it would be great to have him here because as I said the other day, you know, he's been a real big part of this also and to just have him here would be great for the guys and great for him also."

I went back and listened to the 4-13 interview with Gentry as well and the exact quote from Gentry was again, totally different than how it was represented.

This is the full quote," I hope so. It all depends on if they'll let him travel or not. I talked to him yesterday. Obviously I told him we would like to have him here because he's a big part of this also."

I couldn't find another interview posted on the Pelicans site before game 1 where Gentry said Cousins couldn't fly. So where did this" Gentry said Cousins couldn't fly narrative" come from?

Gentry specifically talks about having to be cleared by his doctors to "travel here". Nothing about planes. Nothing.

What this is, like I've said from the beginning is CLICK BAIT, except done by our team's own local paper. It was a poor job or reporting. It was a poor job of fact checking. And it was a ******** poor attempt to create drama by misrepresenting what was said. This belongs on a magazine near the cash register not on what is supposed to be a Newspaper.

I spent 15 minutes watching the interviews and found out this wasn't represented right. This "reporter" couldn't even be bothered to fact check his own information before going to publish.

The reporter does not reference a specific quote for his flying remarks from Gentry at all. He quotes Gentry verbatim later in the article but not about the flying comments.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-15-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Also, I just went back and re-watched the interview with Gentry where he talks about Cousins and he NEVER says Cousins cannot fly. NOT ONCE.

The question comes at the 3:29 mark on the Pelicans video entitled "Pelicans-Trail Blazers Game 1 Shootaround: Head Coach Alvin Gentry 4-14-18".

What Gentry says is (and unlike the "reporter" for Nola.com I'm going to give the full verbatim quote):

"I don't know yet. I know that he's trying to get here and he's trying to convince the, you know, the medical people that he can travel here. So, it would be great to have him here because as I said the other day, you know, he's been a real big part of this also and to just have him here would be great for the guys and great for him also."

I went back and listened to the 4-13 interview with Gentry as well and the exact quote from Gentry was again, totally different than how it was represented.

This is the full quote," I hope so. It all depends on if they'll let him travel or not. I talked to him yesterday. Obviously I told him we would like to have him here because he's a big part of this also."

I couldn't find another interview posted on the Pelicans site before game 1 where Gentry said Cousins couldn't fly. So where did this" Gentry said Cousins couldn't fly narrative" come from?

Gentry specifically talks about having to be cleared by his doctors to "travel here". Nothing about planes. Nothing.

What this is, like I've said from the beginning is CLICK BAIT, except done by our team's own local paper. It was a poor job or reporting. It was a poor job of fact checking. And it was a ******** poor attempt to create drama by misrepresenting what was said. This belongs on a magazine near the cash register not on what is supposed to be a Newspaper.
    There was the early day interview and the pre-game interviews. NOLA claims this came from the early day interview. If you think they made it up than that is something serious, but that requires some evidence. Like a pattern of this reporter or Nola.com routinely making up stories. I am not aware of that. He mentioned Cousins in both according to Nola.com, it was mentioned in the story in fact. The early one is supposedly where the statement germinated from.

You could probably contact Nola.com and ask for clarification TBH. The author's email is included in the article.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 04:34 PM.

I spent 15 minutes watching the interviews and found out this wasn't represented right. This "reporter" couldn't even be bothered to fact check his own information before going to publish.
    So, the facts that Bronco so vehemently argued for Turnout not to be facts at all. Bronco based his entire soliloquy on the "Can NOT fly" fact. Which, we now know is, Well, NOT a fact at all. Man, these "the facts are the facts" comments just seem to be NON-Factual. Go figure. Ima Buzzin

So, the facts that Bronco so vehemently argued for Turnout not to be facts at all. Bronco based his entire soliloquy on the "Can NOT fly" fact. Which, we now know is, Well, NOT a fact at all. Man, these "the facts are the facts" comments just seem to be NON-Factual. Go figure. Ima Buzzin
    I'm still waiting for you to quote exactly where I have stated what you claim I have said?

This schtick of yours is getting old REAL fast.

And your refusal to qualify your slander with any evidence but continuing the slander is not something I am aware the TOS permits.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.

There was the early day interview and the pre-game interviews. NOLA claims this came from the early day interview. If you think they made it up than that is something serious, but that requires some evidence. Like a pattern of this reporter or Nola.com routinely making up stories. I am not aware of that. He mentioned Cousins in both according to Nola.com, it was mentioned in the story in fact. The early one is supposedly where the statement germinated from.

You could probably contact Nola.com and ask for clarification TBH. The author's email is included in the article.
    Again. The report DOES NOT QUOTE GENTRY with the flying comments. He quotes Gentry later in the article but not for the flying comments.

Where are these early day interviews where Gentry says Cousins cannot fly? Normally they are posted on the Pelicans website but I've watched every one between the last Spurs game and the post game interview and cannot find Gentry once saying Cousins cannot fly. I also watched the pre game show on the Fox Sports NO broadcast but again didn't see Gentry say this. Jen Hale said Cousins couldn't make it but that he was in contact with the team and players. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but it's not on the official website. Nor does the reporter give the actual quote from Gentry.

So we have a click bait article without the biggest controversy being quoted in the article nor with me being able to even find the said quote.

What else did the reporter leave out?

Again. The report DOES NOT QUOTE GENTRY with the flying comments. He quotes Gentry later in the article but not for the flying comments.

Where are these early day interviews where Gentry says Cousins cannot fly? Normally they are posted on the Pelicans website but I've watched every one between the last Spurs game and the post game interview and cannot find Gentry once saying Cousins cannot fly. I also watched the pre game show on the Fox Sports NO broadcast but again didn't see Gentry say this. Jen Hale said Cousins couldn't make it but that he was in contact with the team and players. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but it's not on the official website. Nor does the reporter give the actual quote from Gentry.

So we have a click bait article without the biggest controversy being quoted in the article nor with me being able to even find the said quote.

What else did the reporter leave out?
    Lets break it down here for context for everyone:

New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said Saturday afternoon (April 14) that injured forward DeMarcus Cousins would not attend his team's playoff-opening game that night in Portland, Oregon, because he still has not been cleared to fly as he rehabs from an Achilles tear.
    This is what you are contending as possibly being made up, correct? And sure, that is a possibility. Also possible is that this reporter honestly or dishonestly misinterpreted what he heard.

But most press conversation are not posted online, or even printed, and even more is off the record. So the existence of this quote without a audio or visual record is not unthinkable.

But aside from my initial reaction, except in tinman's mind, I have made it pretty clear that we should entertain any number of completely innocent explanations, but that the less innocent ones can't be dismissed entirely, and if true are a bit of a red flag. But like I also said, not something I would consider any sort of dealbreaker.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.

I'm not contending anything is made up. I'm saying without an actual quote of the comments and without them posting the interview where I can see the actual comments then we cannot say

1) What the exact quote from Gentry was
    2) What the full context of the quote was

I have found comments where Gentry specifically talks about having to be cleared to "travel here (Portland)" but nothing about flying and nothing that says Cousins cannot fly anywhere else. As other posters have pointed out flying commercial to Portland specifically might be the issue and not so much flying in general.

Was the "reporter" even at the interview himself or is he relaying 2nd hand information he has heard from the Nola.com beat writer who is actually in Portland?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-15-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Well geezus this thread turned into a ******** show huh lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I'm not contending anything is made up. I'm saying without an actual quote of the comments and without them posting the interview where I can see the actual comments then we cannot say

1) What the exact quote from Gentry was
    2) What the full context of the quote was

I have found comments where Gentry specifically talks about having to be cleared to "travel here (Portland)" but nothing about flying and nothing that says Cousins cannot fly anywhere else. As other posters have pointed out flying commercial to Portland specifically might be the issue and not so much flying in general.

Was the "reporter" even at the interview himself or is he relaying 2nd hand information he has heard from the Nola.com beat writer who is actually in Portland?
    Now that I definitely agree with. And that is why further clarification would be appreciated. And should be sought before drawing conclusions from this.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Pelicans win their first playoff game since the CP3 era, but fans still manage to turn it into a way of arguing against each other.

#PelsLife

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Well geezus this thread turned into a ******** show huh lol

Yep.

Wow.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep.

Wow.
    Man I'm rewatching the game and the refs seriously let them get away with a lot in the paint against ad pretty damn annoying actually

Yep. Ruins the thread.

jazz are pretty unreal

Man I'm rewatching the game and the refs seriously let them get away with a lot in the paint against ad pretty damn annoying actually

AD should have shot 6 fts in the first quarter alone that he didn't get. I didn't keep track after that, it would drive me nuts

Basketball Guru
    I'm kind of glad the refs called the game the way they did..I was looking at our players and none of them seem to get frustrated at the non calls and that told me they were just focus on playing the game.....I was worried about jrue getting frustrated about getting non calls from his attacking and tuning out the game but he was lock into the game the whole time.....this team seem focus and want to prove how good they are......glad we have rondo to calm the younguns down when Portland make runs and we are still winning.......

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    I'm kind of glad the refs called the game the way they did..I was looking at our players and none of them seem to get frustrated at the non calls and that told me they were just focus on playing the game.....I was worried about jrue getting frustrated about getting non calls from his attacking and tuning out the game but he was lock into the game the whole time.....this team seem focus and want to prove how good they are......glad we have rondo to calm the younguns down when Portland make runs and we are still winning.......
    Idk about that the refs are calling touch fouls on one end and letting our guys get abused on the other like guys are literally holding all of our players and no calls lol

I kept seeing Lillard shove off with his forearm on Jrue hid run. Really was starting to get at me.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Thread Information