Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did you do your draft

How did you do your draft

I'm curious in seeing at the end of the draft how people selected players, decided if they were going to go young, etc. i'll post more on this much later, but I find this very interesting.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Alright let's hear it fellas, the draft is over.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I basically just decided "ok, I want to go for a older vet here" or "ok, I want to go for a young guy here."

Oh man. Maybe I got a little to into this. Or I have too much time on a plane.

I wanted to build a foundation of young players that were complemented by older vets. I decided to make my first few selections young players to build around. In the later rounds, I looked for vets.

I went for defense, inside game, and youth

I basicly assigned weighted numberical values to each player through an Excel macro and created two "Indexes". One for Overall value and one for "Win Now" which is how i did my picks dependant upon need. I kind of created my own formula and appllied it to the draft. Here's the top of the board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	3916

I went BPA with my first pick (Dirk)
    Then the 2 things i know i needed were a defensive minded Center and a well rounded Guard. I got both (Rose and Divac)
    I then wanted a young wing player to grow with Dirk so i think on my list i had Darius Miles or Quentin Richardson and i chose Q-Rich. Then i wanted a defensive/3-pt making SF so Rick Fox seemed an obvious choice.
    Bench wise i went relatively young guys with room for improvement (Bender and Lewis) and then i wanted someone to run my 2nd unit effectively so i went with veteran PG Charlie Ward.
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I basicly assigned weighted numberical values to each player through an Excel macro and created two "Indexes". One for Overall value and one for "Win Now" which is how i did my picks dependant upon need. I kind of created my own formula and appllied it to the draft. Here's the top of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I went bpa for my first pick then mostly age/potential.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Lol, don't hate...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Well guys I had no idea what I was doing but my draft came out kinda strong. I'm thinking about having my 2nd pick coming off the bench (Jason Terry) and running hopefully a OKC Thunder type of game with Franchise, Cliff and Terry. Hopefully the draft won't turn out to be the most fun I will have...
    Last edited by wuggie; 06-06-2012 at 06:36 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post

Can't be serious lol

That's cool though.

Glad to see Andre Miller on your list!

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    I went into the draft with the mindset of drafting under 25 year old players with solid stats and good potential. That didn't work out to well as we got later into the draft and my picks were already late in the round. So alot of the guys i was going after got picked up. I was trying to draft young balanced with potential. Just didn't work out for me. BallSoHard had the right idea (and alot of free time,LOL). I'm sure he got the best overall value in the draft.

BallSoHard, that's weak Excel logic. WEAK!!! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    BallSoHard, that's weak Excel logic. WEAK!!! Haha
    I taught you everything you know on excel!

Up to 7 rounds there was one team with a higher win now index than me but I took the overall value category. The team that had the highest win now also is like -20mill Over the salary cap and I have a million to spare. My goal was to let the first two or three picks almost pick themselves on my board then decide if I should try and win now or build. I happened to get a young enough core to contend for awhile (I hope). I also had trades secured and due to the initial trading fiasco I have to ensure I had around 10 million left in the cap for my trades to go through. There were a lot of "reaches" and very good picks (Stockton and Malone) later in the draft. I think Stockton and Malone were top 10 win now players that fell in the 4th and 2nd.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I just picked people at random

Oh I know, Your team rating shows that. Kidding =p

I put all of my focus on the 8th round pick and trusted lady luck to deliver 11 other players.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    I put all of my focus on the 8th round pick and trusted lady luck to deliver 11 other players.
    LOL Pray to sweet baby Jesus that Walter McCarthy is the savior of the Pistons.

I wanted McCarty bad.

Tray, who's hating on my spreadsheet now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Information