Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread

The rebrand and name change thread

Note from Joe Gerrity-- This is now stickied for rebrand/name change discussion.

We don't need another one.

--

If and when we get a new owner would he change the name of the franchise?

I like the New Orleans Rhythm
    Last edited by Joe Gerrity; 04-16-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: too many

The Franchise
    I would go with Krewe nothing close to it in all of sports
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gators .
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Mafia... The unis would be black and white and would make the pinstripes look nice.

Nba would never do it as they like fruity names like the thunder.

Or bring back the kingfish name

Pinstripes would be cool but when I think of black and white I think of the spurs.. We should do colors that incorporate new Orleans.. Maybe change up the color arrangements on the unis if we are to keep the colors. Or if benson does become the owner maybe he could do black and gold?! Make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat Hornets View Post
    Pinstripes would be cool but when I think of black and white I think of the spurs.. We should do colors that incorporate new Orleans.. Maybe change up the color arrangements on the unis if we are to keep the colors. Or if benson does become the owner maybe he could do black and gold?! Make it happen!
    That completly slipped my mind. The only issue i have with the whole black and gold thing is the hornets need their own identity. Not to be the saints annoying little brother. Although it might make people feel more connected.

Maybe red and black i dont know

black and creole blue make it happen.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I'd like to keep it Hornets, but whatever.

If there were a rebrand, I'd like for it to be either the Brass or Krewe.

I'd rather keep it the Hornets!
    I know I don't speak for all non American fans but the reason I fell in love with
    the Hornets was because of the name. When they were the Charlotte Hornets I decided to
    go with the Hornets name rather than stick with the city and support the Bobcats.
    Smart move I thought.

I'm sure a few international fans did the same and I'd be very disappointed if the team re-located
    or even changed their name.

HORNETS 4 EVA

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    I'm sure a few international fans did the same and I'd be very disappointed if the team re-located

HORNETS 4 EVA
    I feel the same way !!

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    I know I don't speak for all non American fans but the reason I fell in love with
    the Hornets was because of the name. When they were the Charlotte Hornets I decided to
    go with the Hornets name rather than stick with the city and support the Bobcats.
    Smart move I thought.

HORNETS 4 EVA
    Not me, but i support New Orleans and all that represents it - not the hornets name

If your car had wings like a pegasus, how much would you get from the ATM?

I honestly don't think those of you whom are based in New Orleans understand the magnitude of supporters who live in places outside of America. I have followed the hornets from the early 90s and at that time they were huge in Australia (where I am from). The NBA is no longer a competition limited to the states, and I imagine there would be kore that watch the game via league pass etc internationally than America. It's a global game, and people should no longer think of places as being big markets or small markets. I watch every hornets game on league pass, and having lived in the UK for 2 years just recently, there are plenty of hornets fans around the globe. You don't just change the team name to suit the folk in New Orleans, I'm a hornets fan first and foremost, and while being in new Orleans has seen me adopt the saints as my NFL team, I would follow the hornets franchise if they moved.

Just my two cents, hoping to make some on here realise their are hotnets fans outside the borders of NOLA

Quote Originally Posted by The Octagon View Post
    . You don't just change the team name to suit the folk in New Orleans, I'm a hornets fan first and foremost, and while being in new Orleans has seen me adopt the saints as my NFL team, I would follow the hornets franchise if they moved.

Just my two cents, hoping to make some on here realise their are hotnets fans outside the borders of NOLA
    Really? I would think there are many more supporters in the city the team plays in than overseas. I would think if (and that is if) they would even consider a change, it would certainly be to fit the area in which the team plays and the support comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Octagon View Post
    I honestly don't think those of you whom are based in New Orleans understand the magnitude of supporters who live in places outside of America. I have followed the hornets from the early 90s and at that time they were huge in Australia (where I am from). The NBA is no longer a competition limited to the states, and I imagine there would be kore that watch the game via league pass etc internationally than America. It's a global game, and people should no longer think of places as being big markets or small markets. I watch every hornets game on league pass, and having lived in the UK for 2 years just recently, there are plenty of hornets fans around the globe. You don't just change the team name to suit the folk in New Orleans, I'm a hornets fan first and foremost, and while being in new Orleans has seen me adopt the saints as my NFL team, I would follow the hornets franchise if they moved.

Im fine with the name itself, but at this point i feel we have to chane the name because of the perception of this organization. We're the butt of every joke as as long as were the hornets i dont see this changing no matter what we do.

To man, all of the nonlocal fans I've spoken to are against a rebrand.

I don't care at all.

I just can't wait until next summer, as that should bring an end to the discussion.

Personally some just use it as an excuse to complain. When all the excuses are gone, hopefully they'll just be fans, critical or not, or just shut up, rather than bore the world with their outdated, lazy, poorly thought out agenda.

the new orleans tanks

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Im fine with the name itself, but at this point i feel we have to chane the name because of the perception of this organization. We're the butt of every joke as as long as were the hornets i dont see this changing no matter what we do.
    Sadly, I think the "New Orleans" part has far more to do with the lack of respect the team receives nationally. People aren't saying that The Hornets can't support New Orleans, they're saying that New Orleans can't support the Hornets. A winning Hornets brand would not be mocked nearly as much as a losing "Krewe" or "Brass" or what have you.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AsimoV82 View Post
    Sadly, I think the "New Orleans" part has far more to do with the lack of respect the team receives nationally. People aren't saying that The Hornets can't support New Orleans, they're saying that New Orleans can't support the Hornets. A winning Hornets brand would not be mocked nearly as much as a losing "Krewe" or "Brass" or what have you.
    I think the perception amongst the casual fan you talk to is the "Hornets" signifiies Charlotte's team and they see it more as temporary (as it has been referred to as Charlotte, New Orleans, New Orleans/Oklahoma City and Oklahoma City Hornets). I think people want their "own" team. Maybe this is how Utah felt for a while too. If there is no reband, the security of a local owner and hopefully, long term lease will ease those feelings.

I know the name is taken by the AFL, but I like the New Orleans Voodoo. Besides that I like the New Orleans Krewe.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Anything but the Hornets.

The truth is that local fans, more so than international or national fans, should matter more in any kind of re-brand debate. Those are the fans buying the expensive season tickets and their tax money goes to inducements and arena up-keep. That's not to discount the international and national fans, but if a re-brand will generate long term support than why would such die hard international/nation fans fight it? Wouldn't you want a vibrant and healthy franchise over what we have now?

Also, and it's not to be discounted, the perception of this team is beyond just a few winning seasons. If it's going to take a real title run to endear fans to the team then that is huge massive problem that needs to be addressed. I would say we don't deserve a franchise if the only way we can get 10,000 fans interested is if they win a title. Sorry, but that's an excuse most objective fans would not accept for a losing franchise that could easily be relocated to city more interested in having a team.

We can debate this all day, and we have for years ... really, since the day they got here. Long time CLT fans were against a re-brand, big surprise, at the time of the relocation local fans were very excited about a possible re-brand. I bet things would be different if they had re-branded when they got here originally. I do know this, several playoff season did nothing to attract a solid fan base. It's taken threats of relocation, threats of contraction, etc to get the minimum amount of support needed to skate by support wise. Clearly something isn't working and I think it's pretty clear a re-brand would at least give fans 1 positive thing to hang their emotions on. We can't pretend like the Hornets have been lottery level ever since they got here, or that we never had superstars to make the team attractive.

Too much baggage surrounds the Hornets moniker, mainly the fact that most associate this team more with other cities than New Orleans is enough for me. I also think we are kidding ourselves if we think this team would stay the Hornets in yet another city.

After 10 years of being here, and they are still referred to as the Charlotte Hornets...thats a major issue that needs to be changed now

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbs91 View Post
    After 10 years of being here, and they are still referred to as the Charlotte Hornets...thats a major issue that needs to be changed now
    This. I may be in the minority, but I like the colors, kinda like the unis (Love mardi Gras/ NOLA gold ones) and love the Fleur De Bee....
    But this has to stop. Sometimes I honestly think that the media does it to mess with us, and even if it is an accident we have to stop this. I don't really care what on Earth the new owner comes up with, but we have to stop being called Charlotte. Charlotte has a damn team and they still call us it. Its embarrassing and just plain painful to read. We need a new chapter in this franchise, I truly hope that the new owner sees this.

I love you guys in different countries, you guys are great. I really hope that you don't leave the team should they rebrand, but I also hope that you realize that it truly would be best for the team.

Thats my opinion on it atleast.

Thread Information